Strange Question: Use Etymotic ER4P to S adapter to increase Impedence of Audio Technica AD900? (to be driven by Little Dot MK III)
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kcaesthete

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious about how my Etymotic adapter cable could be used with other headphones. I believe adding the adapter increases impedance by 75 ohms. My question is whether I could use this adapter on my recently acquired Audio Technica AD900's.

Why would I want to do this? Well I've been reading about the Little Dot MK III tube amp which apparently works best with higher impedance headphones. I was thinking that bringing my baseline impedance from 35 Ohms to 110 Ohms via the adapter would help the compatibility with these cans. Does this make sense, or am I missing something? It seems to me that the slighly harsh mids/treble I'm getting through my Larocco Audio Pocket Reference (original version) with the AD900s would be mitigated with a sweet sounding tube amp like the Little Dot MK III.

Alternatively, if anyone has driven the AD900s with a Little Dot MK III, please provide a report. I couldn't find anything in the LD threads i browsed.

Thanks in advance.

[edit - just noticed goof in title - obviously not Audio "Technical," sorry.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back