Strange Pizza Toppings
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #31 of 46
I tried Papa John's "NY Style" pizza today. It was pretty much identical to their regular pizza. When I think of NY style it should be thinnish, foldable, generous with the toppings and a little greasy. This was basically the opposite. On the right is my pepperoni, mushroom and pineapple, and on the left is what it's supposed to look like.

Whelp, back to the local place! :sweat_smile:

papa johns NY style bad.jpg

Neither of those are NY style. Thought the one on the left looks a little closer.

NY style:

NewYork.jpg

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #33 of 46
In my opinion, the main advantage of pizza in New York City is that it has a higher rate of good pizza.

You can find good pizza in other cities but you have to go though a bunch of places to finally find a good one. In New York you can randomly stop by most places and it’s usually good.

There’s also a weird quirky thing where it’s possible to find cheap $1-$2 slices that can be shockingly really good. I remember stopping by some random place and got their cheap $1 special and was seriously impressed. It had an amazing crust and so well balanced.

In my opinion, another characteristic of New York pizza is that they get the pizza dough texture right. This is really important. The technique and balance of getting that chewy quality. In other cities, I find that the pizza texture is a little off and not quite right but still decent….In New York, I find that the texture is usually better balanced………of course your mileage may vary since everyone’s taste buds are different.

Edit: ……I forgot to me mention that even right outside of New York like in northern New Jersey there’s awesome pizza. I remember stopping by Asbury Park New Jersey at some random generic pizza place and it was shockingly really good.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #35 of 46
@HiGHFLYiN9 should jump on the 95 to CanJam@NYC in a few weeks and listen to new stuff, while having 20 fellow members convince them to go eat a real NYC slice with them. :wink:
I really need to. There's so much below average pizza in MD. I've had this convo with people in the restaurant industry and it seems one problem is hardly anyone wants to work in the kitchen anymore; the few people that are there may be only temporary, unfamiliar with the typical prep, and/or overworked. I don't know if it's a MD thing or a U.S. thing, but the food is much more likely to be poor or inconsistent these days.

I literally just went to a family-owned pizza place in Arbutus that's been there forever. The pizza was always good, but today it was dry, overcooked and the fries were cold... and it was $9 for a slice of cheese, fries and a drink. I think I'm just going to have to start cooking at home more regularly as there's really no incentive to go out anymore.

1643052190446.png

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #36 of 46
In my opinion, the main advantage of pizza in New York City is that it has a higher rate of good pizza.

You can find good pizza in other cities but you have to go though a bunch of places to finally find a good one. In New York you can randomly stop by most places and it’s usually good.

There’s also a weird quirky thing where it’s possible to find cheap $1-$2 slices that can be shockingly really good. I remember stopping by some random place and got their cheap $1 special and was seriously impressed. It had an amazing crust and so well balanced.

In my opinion, another characteristic of New York pizza is that they get the pizza dough texture right. This is really important. The technique and balance of getting that chewy quality. In other cities, I find that the pizza texture is a little off and not quite right but still decent….In New York, I find that the texture is usually better balanced………of course your mileage may vary since everyone’s taste buds are different.

Edit: ……I forgot to me mention that even right outside of New York like in northern New Jersey there’s awesome pizza. I remember stopping by Asbury Park New Jersey at some random generic pizza place and it was shockingly really good.
Value for the price I'd say. I would say goods are Chicago pizzas, but you won't find the value you get in NY. NY certainly has their signature large thin slices on the cheap.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #37 of 46
Value for the price I'd say. I would say goods are Chicago pizzas, but you won't find the value you get in NY. NY certainly has their signature large thin slices on the cheap.

Personally as much as I enjoy Chicagos pizzas, I tend to prefer New York. The Chicago Italian beef sandwich is great though and something that New York does not have.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #38 of 46
To really get a proper home-made pizza, you need murderously high temperatures - beyond the average domestic oven - and quick cooking times. But you can get fairly close. I had a nice pizza with asparagus and Parma ham topping a while back, but I can't recall what else was on it. Might have been pesto.

Then how about thinking sideways; how about a sweet pizza. Apple, raisins, cinnamon and stuff, then top it with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream as soon as it leaves the oven. It might work.

Grabbing an Ooni for the backyard was pretty gaming changing for at home. I think it lands somewhere around the ~900+ F needed for the quick wood fire cook.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #39 of 46
I set my oven to 550 F to make pizzas but even that's too low. Typical temperatures are around 1100 F +.
At 550 F it takes about 6-7 minutes to cook a pizza on a preheated baking steel.
Neapolitan pizza is required to take no longer than 1.5 minutes to cook.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #40 of 46
88038F38-EBD3-4AD0-B566-07EB0E8D3204.jpeg

Leaves?

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #42 of 46
Nice. The one shown was only $10 due to the restaurant making their own cheese. I have to admit, yours looks thicker?
Here's one I made. I let the crust get too dry when it was rising though, so it looks blobby.

zQGbmvT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back