Strange Pizza Toppings
Jan 7, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #16 of 46
While I don't consider it at all strange, BBQ sauce. Roommate orders just a cheese pizza or pepperoni pizza and I figure I'll enhance it with some tangy BBQ sauce. Love it.

Oddly enough when I do it, or tell people I do it I get strange looks. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 46
  While I don't consider it at all strange, BBQ sauce. Roommate orders just a cheese pizza or pepperoni pizza and I figure I'll enhance it with some tangy BBQ sauce. Love it.

Oddly enough when I do it, or tell people I do it I get strange looks. 

Shakey's has a pulled beef and deep-fried shredded taters pizza that has BBQ sauce. Over here we'd end up arguing over what to order for delivery at home because everyone else wants that, but with a membership card, we get a free "plain" pepperoni (and that's what I eat). Not that the beef, taters, n BBQ sauce pizza is bad, it's just that I prefer something with lighter toppings when I'm parked in front of the tube with my feet up.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #18 of 46
Growing up in the Midwest, Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut pizza was available almost anywhere, Or substitute ham for the CB in a pinch. It's pretty darned good even though it sounds kinda disgusting. I didn't realize until I lived in other parts of the country that this was a regional thing.

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #20 of 46
I used to have a co worker who was against odd pizza toppings and was really conservative about his definition of pizza. I get it. I’m conservative too many times with food.

But I told him that if it bothers you, don’t think of it as pizza. Just think of it as flat bread with something on top of it. Perhaps it may change his mind.

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 46
In Italy toppings such as French fries, potato chunks, and cut up hot dogs are common. They also put hotdogs into wrap sandwiches and serve hotdog pieces at breakfast.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #22 of 46
In Italy toppings such as French fries, potato chunks, and cut up hot dogs are common. They also put hotdogs into wrap sandwiches and serve hotdog pieces at breakfast.
They must really really like hot dogs in Italy. ^^

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 46
Nooo! Say it ain't so! Not in Italy. I was expecting classier actions. I like Chicago pizza traditionally started by Italian immigrants, but I will not have potatoes or hotdogs in my pizza! It is not Kosher.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #24 of 46
I used to have a co worker who was against odd pizza toppings and was really conservative about his definition of pizza. I get it. I’m conservative too many times with food.

But I told him that if it bothers you, don’t think of it as pizza. Just think of it as flat bread with something on top of it. Perhaps it may change his mind.

Cheese pizza is almost always cheaper than with one or many toppings...so that has to be much cheaper down the road. Well...4-cheese pizza from a vending machine in Japan looks to be one of the few exceptions:

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #25 of 46
The heating in that vending machine looked a little uneven but it came out much better looking than I expected.

Recently Pizza Hut had something called the Big Dipper, which was basically pepperoni pizza without sauce, and you dip it in ranch, pizza sauce, or BBQ. I was really surprised that I liked the sweet, tangy BBQ with it.

Also a couple years ago Papa Johns had a cheeseburger pizza with a ketchup and mayonnaise-based sauce (I think?) and had pickles on top. That was also surprisingly good. Anyone else try that one?

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #26 of 46
Also a couple years ago Papa Johns had a cheeseburger pizza with a ketchup and mayonnaise-based sauce (I think?) and had pickles on top. That was also surprisingly good. Anyone else try that one?

There is currently a cheeseburger pizza and taco pizza that Domino's offers as a relief to burgers and pizzas that become "soggy" and "wilted" during delivery (Remember their 30 minute policy?). You will probably have to make your own dipping sauce, though. Here is their recent announcement:

https://biz.dominos.com/web/media/stories/taco-cheeseburger-pizzas

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #28 of 46
1604674263697.gif

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 46
I tried Papa John's "NY Style" pizza today. It was pretty much identical to their regular pizza. When I think of NY style it should be thinnish, foldable, generous with the toppings and a little greasy. This was basically the opposite. On the right is my pepperoni, mushroom and pineapple, and on the left is what it's supposed to look like.

Whelp, back to the local place! :sweat_smile:

papa johns NY style bad.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back