Strange pets?
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #16 of 33
I'm the proud owner of a HEDGEHOG (an african pygmy hedgehog, to be exact). It is truly a cool, unique pet to own. She'll roll into a ball, quills up/down, huffs/puffs, and runs around with her stick legs. Unfortunately, hedgehogs seem to becoming more mainstream these days, but, as with most exotic pets, probably shouldn't be sold through mass-market pet stores because of their special care requirements (and the public's ignorance).

In particular, hedgehogs require a room temp between 74-78 degrees and also around 10-12 hrs of light each day, even though they are largely active during the night. If proper attention isn't paid to temp and daylight, a hedgehog can attempt hibernation, which in this "domesticated" breed can easily be fatal. So, living in New York this means that I have to run a space heater in the hedgehogs room during the winter (to keep the temp up) and also maintain a supply of instant hand warmers and other supplies in case the power/heat goes out. Fun, fun, fun.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #17 of 33
we have various pets in our house: Winston - the minature schnauzer, Dave - the Pugalier, loads of tropical fish, butthead the iguana (beavis died sadly) and Sid the giant african Land Snail!

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #19 of 33
our dog (winston) has a fasination with a toy rudolph we bought him about four years ago... take it everywhere with him. Even if he goes outside for a dump... rudolph goes along for the ride - if he eats a meal.... he puts rudolph next to the bowl - even in the bath... he takes rudolph. Its very bizarre, but he's become totally dependant on this miserable piece of rag that no longer resembles anything close to a reindeer!

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #20 of 33
I have a bit of a scorpion problem at my house (I live in Arizona) so instead of killing them I've been capturing them and keeping them as pets. They freak most people out so I keep them out of sight, but my 5 year old nephew is fascinated by them.. I think they're kinda cool as long as they're not trying to sting me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I've got one of those, too.

And I miss the shoe-sniffing cat I had for 16 years. She would stick her head into freshly worn shoes for a minute or two. Not just a nose in the opening, but complete head insertion. She got upset and gave dirty looks (seriously) if you laughed or tried to take a picture. She had lots of other quirks and fetishes, too. Cancer got her two years ago. Too bad, she was either doing something odd or demanding your lap.

Haha, she must have been a great cat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amphead,

I have always wondered what compels people to have these sorts of creatures in their possession. The pet snake doesn't love its owner or play with it. Guess it is more of a fascination?

I heard this argument quite often and can completely understand. I also have a little poodle at home whom I love to death. Yes, snakes cannot bond to their owners with the same intimacy as dogs or cats. Of course, snakes require so much less in the way of care that the comparison borders on 'unfair'.

That said, the snake *did* seem to really like to wrap around me. This is probably just because I have a warm body, but it was enough to 'trick' me into having an emotional response.

Venomous snakes are fascinating to me but I don't think I would enjoy owning one.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #24 of 33
Naomi the parrot (Pacific Parrotlet)
2243950853_f1a4195f23.jpg

Zero the dog (Yorkshire Terrier)
2543783738_d51e41cfaa.jpg

^Not an odd pet, but odd looking haircut.

I agree with you Cold Brains that most exotic pets (many parrots for example) shouldn't be sold through mass-market pet stores...

And at Leeb1977 - I wonder what happens when your dog can't find his reindeer. Does he refuse to go anywhere until he finds his toy?

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #25 of 33
I hear people have cats as pets... *shocked*

he he
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 33
In college I had a roommate with both an iguana and a ferret. Sometimes the ferret would hide and he couldn't find it to put in the cage for the night. When that happened, it would sometimes crawl over my face at 2am and I would unceremoniously return it to its cage. One day, the iguana's toes were sticking out of its cage and the ferret grabbed onto one. Much flailing ensued and the ferret managed to bite off the tip of the toe.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear people have cats as pets... *shocked*

he he
tongue.gif

What do you have cats for in Norway then?
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #29 of 33
Ive had Land Hermit Crabs, Iguanas, Snakes,Fish,Hamsters,Mice,Parrakeets,a Bat for a few days then let it go,Chipmunk,Rabbit,Salamanders,Western Curly Tail Lizards,Anole Chamelians,Cats,Dogs,Turtles,SeaMonkeys (brine shrimp).

Right now my family has 2 Cats, a Dog (Cairne Terrier),and a Quaker Parrot(Monk Parrot,Quaker Parrakeet).

I currently have a Blue & Gold Macaw Parrot, and a Yellow Collared Macaw Parrot.

Im not counting my Tomagotchi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you have cats for in Norway then?
tongue.gif

They live in the barn, hunting mice for a living.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back