Strange noises from new Audioengine A2's
Jan 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

subatomic09

New Head-Fier
I picked up a pair of A2's a couple weeks ago, and while I like the overall sound, I'm concerned by strange noises I'm hearing from the speakers. I'm hoping someone who knows speakers can help me out.

In the left speaker, I hear a sound like dry paper rustling on low frequencies. It doesn't matter how loud the volume is on the source or the speakers, I get the same rustling noise. When I move the balance all the way to the right speaker, the noise fizzles and crackles and then fades away. No rustling noise out of the right speaker playing the same frequencies. On some high frequencies, I hear a crackling, like the speaker needs to clear its throat.

Then today I bent down to pick something up from under my desk, and my ear was near the right speaker. There is a very quiet fuzz coming from it. Like static heard from far away. The strange thing is, the static doesn't get any louder or softer when I change the volume on the source or speakers, and when I turn the speakers off, the fuzz continues for a second after. This fuzz is present whether music is playing or not.

I've tried different cables, different locations, different sources, plugging the speakers into the wall instead of a surge protector. I get none of these noises from other speakers, or my Sennheiser HD 595's.

Here's hoping someone can help! Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 25
The fuzz might just be general line noise, but the paper rustling sounds worrisome. Do the drivers look okay?

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 25
If the noise is there and doesn't change regardless of the volume its not the drivers.

It sounds to me like an electrical problem. There might be something wrong with the built in amps or power supply in which case you should get the exchanged. Or possibly you have dirty power, try hooking them up a friends house and see if the problem is still there.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 25
+1 for operandi's amp theory. I have these a2s and they are my second pair. My first pair did have distortion (only at higher volumes). My new ones are better... As I did exchange them. Later on, I did find out about proper speaker burnin (like breaking in an engine in a car).

You must play various types of music/ different songs, or pink/white noise for about 100hrs *at moderate listening volumes: not loud, not quiet... before you can do any critical listening and especially, loud volumes. Loud volumes will cause damage to both the amp and drivers. I did email audioengine tech support (u may want to do the same) and the tech did recommend at least 40-50 hours of mid-volume play...

Question for you... Did you play the speakers loud- near max volume when you first got them? - I did- and probably damaged my first pair. I'd say- exchange, and take care in proper burnin of your next pair. Hope this helps!

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 25
I have a pair of a5's the hiss and buzz slightly when they're on without a source connected to them. I've tested the dirty power source theory, but they sound the same wherever i hook them up. Unfortunately, what you're hear is just the internal amp introducing noise in the line. I thought I had a bad pair of a5's, but I heard another pair in an audio store make the exact same noise. I'm not saying yours aren't defective, but the high noise floor is pretty common enough on these.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 25
I think I have this problem as well. My A2's are connected via 1/8" to 2 phono cable to my laptop's headphone jack (which is a bit sensitive to interference). When I play certain tracks from Spotify, especially bass heavy tracks, in some parts begins this noise that reminds me of flipping the pages of a book really fast, a kind of electric bass distortion type of noise.

I haven't done any burn-in with these speakers. I have tried different EQ-settings to better the sound. I have not played these speakers at loud volumes. I did have a scare at first when I accidentally pulled out the 1/8" jack from my laptop. The speakers where on and not playing any music at that time and they produced this electric interference noise. Audioengine told me, however, that this would not damage my speakers -- at least if I don't do it intentionally and all the time.

Have you guys figured out what's the deal with this and what should one do? I ordered my A2's from another country so exchanging them isn't a piece of cake.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 25
Hey I have these speakers also (A2) and I get the same thing no matter how low the volume is I still get that paper rustling noise on low frequency tracks or music.  It doesn't sound like distortion but I'm just wondering will this change with break in, I've heard so many people having this problem so I'm guessing if I return them in exchange for a different pair it will prob make no difference - any thoughts is everybody still getting this after burn-in?

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 25
Sorry for the lack of updates, everybody.

After about 50 hours of burn-in, this rustling noise got less noticeable, but it's still there if I play a really low frequency loudly. Otherwise, I'm really happy with these speakers. They improve greatly as time goes on.

Audioengine support was really great about testing the speakers and even sent me a new A2 to try, but it had the same problem since it was new, so I sent it back and kept my original. They determined that the track I was playing was overdriving the speakers because it contains frequencies lower that 65Hz, but predicted that after the drivers loosened up and had "time to breathe" the rustling would get quieter and it did.

I've uploaded the track to mediafire for anyone that wants to test it with their speakers: http://www.mediafire.com/?6w2ob5575dcu353. I get the rustling during the low C note at 11 sec, 21 sec, 31 sec, etc. Don't play this track too loud, or I'm worried you may blow out your A2s. If you sit close to your speakers, you'll get a nice breeze during these parts, too. :)

So, let them burn in at least 50 hours, and you should notice the sound improves. But the fact is, if you play a lot of electronic music with frequencies below 65Hz, you should probably get speakers with a greater frequency range.

Hope this helps.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 25
I don't know if it's the burn-in or the fact that I have a separate DAC, but today my A2s work better. In fact, I listen to music everyday and I can't even remember when I have heard the "rustling noise" previously. These speakers do require a lot of "groundwork" and it would seem that you need good equipment around it for them to shine and have no problems. Anyway, I'm quite happy with them right now.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 25
I have a pair Audioengine 2s and i love them

In this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4eQBF9smOHg#t=81s i have the same paper distorted sound coming from the bass ports too but not on low volume levels.

But how do you have your speaker cables? If you have the speaker wires in the center between the speaker "the speaker wires towards the center between the speakers" they will get an improved soundstage. Try this if you want!

Sorry for my bad english. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of updates, everybody.

After about 50 hours of burn-in, this rustling noise got less noticeable, but it's still there if I play a really low frequency loudly. Otherwise, I'm really happy with these speakers. They improve greatly as time goes on.

Audioengine support was really great about testing the speakers and even sent me a new A2 to try, but it had the same problem since it was new, so I sent it back and kept my original. They determined that the track I was playing was overdriving the speakers because it contains frequencies lower that 65Hz, but predicted that after the drivers loosened up and had "time to breathe" the rustling would get quieter and it did.

I've uploaded the track to mediafire for anyone that wants to test it with their speakers: http://www.mediafire.com/?6w2ob5575dcu353. I get the rustling during the low C note at 11 sec, 21 sec, 31 sec, etc. Don't play this track too loud, or I'm worried you may blow out your A2s. If you sit close to your speakers, you'll get a nice breeze during these parts, too. :)

So, let them burn in at least 50 hours, and you should notice the sound improves. But the fact is, if you play a lot of electronic music with frequencies below 65Hz, you should probably get speakers with a greater frequency range.

Hope this helps.

With that track, I also get the rustle if I play it loud.  If I play it at (what I consider) a reasonable listening volume, I don't.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 25
I've looked into this problem for a while when I first got my A2s. I opened up the speakers and played around with the stuff inside and I've come to the conclusion that the sound is due to the mass amount of air being pushed through the bass slit. So it's just due to the design of the A2, not a a driver problem. I exchanged my first pair and my second pair exhibit the same thing.

One way to alleviate the problem is to open up your speakers and plug the bass slit with the gauze in the speaker. This reduces the bass quite a bit though, but some people find the A2s to be too warm anyways. I just left it as is, the only song I have that produce is this sound is the the song mentioned above (fantasy - the xx).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back