Strange audio issue with Asgard 3
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #16 of 51
Though I do have one final bit of advice to think about. This single thing is always over-looked here. You need to focus on the 1/4 inch adapter if your using one with the Asgard. The 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapters often have issues where they only work best with the product they were supplied with. That means that yes, 4.4mm/3.5mm/1/4inch.....are all standardized and only 3.5mm Pro is not.

Still!

What happens is the connection at the actual 1/4inch to 3.5mm plug adapter is causing the distortion and, yes it can sound exactly like that.........only on one channel and be intermittent believe it or not? Many don’t know about this issue.

Most of the time the issue is fixed by going in a drawer and simply changing the 1/4 inch adapter plug. :)

Thanks for that suggestion, I've actually thought of switching those, I have a few laying around, swapped them around on headphone that required the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters, no change. I've also tested with HD598 that doesn't require an adapter as the cable ends in 1/4", same issue~

I hope I hear back from Schiit soon!

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #17 of 51
Thanks for that suggestion, I've actually thought of switching those, I have a few laying around, swapped them around on headphone that required the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters, no change. I've also tested with HD598 that doesn't require an adapter as the cable ends in 1/4", same issue~

I hope I hear back from Schiit soon!

And there is always the contacts inside the Schiit Asgard which may be have oxidation or miss alignment which could create the same effects.

This style off issue can be either the RCA in or the 1/4 inch out. Both areas can make the same sounding results and be intermittent like you described.

Cheers!

I had a single RCA cable that was the cause till I tossed it. I’ve also thrown out 1/4 inch adapters for the same reason.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 51
And there is always the contacts inside the Schiit Asgard which may be have oxidation or miss alignment which could create the same effects.

This style off issue can be either the RCA in or the 1/4 inch out. Both areas can make the same sounding results and be intermittent like you described.

Cheers!

I had a single RCA cable that was the cause till I tossed it. I’ve also thrown out 1/4 inch adapters for the same reason.

One interesting I'm not sure if I've mentioned is that if I pull the 1/4" jack out by about 25% so it's not all the way in, the sound becomes hollow, and more quiet, but the noise isn't there.

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 51
One interesting I'm not sure if I've mentioned is that if I pull the 1/4" jack out by about 25% so it's not all the way in, the sound becomes hollow, and more quiet, but the noise isn't there.
This sounds like a grounding issue like the 1/4 inch adapter isn't going deep enough to connect properly. My gut is leaning towards the 1/4 inch adapters, but if I understand you correctly the sound is still there even with an iPad etc. This pretty much removes the cables and shows the amp has an issue.

What if you spin the 1/4 inch adapter a little while listening for the noise. Do you hear it or does it become intermittent?

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #20 of 51

Did you try any other 1/4 inch adapters? I mean if all your headphones go into 1/4inch to 3.5mm adapters and the adapter your using is not exactly matching the contacts what you describe happens. You have no idea how little it gets talked about here. That’s why with my few full size headphones I religiously keep with the adapters they came with. I may use a random adapter but the original is in the case with the headphones. I don’t know about cleaning the contacts inside the Schiit Asgard, but I’ve had the issue with DAPs where the 3.5mm pin was not making perfect contact and it would also sound like your description of issues. Also when RCA cables fail that’s how they can sound......like staticky on only one channel. Good luck PM me when you get this figured out as I’m darn curious. And grounding as just mentioned. That’s why it’s always good to go around to different plugs or even use some random 120 adapter even though you don’t need one, to be certain the grounding is good.

Grounding issues are truly difficult as at times it’s just an issue in the whole house. Also many members found one bad ground wall in their place, different than the rest of the house. The other thing I forgot to mention is if you have a full size PC running off a power strip you NEVER want any of your gear also hooked up to that same power strip. A computer will create all kinds of draw changes which will disturb the AC going to your DAC and amplifier. It’s one of the single easiest ways to improve sound. Just get a two plug cord and make sure your gear has it’s own dedicated cord from the wall. Don’t share the cable/plug with anything. Also many will plug their amp directly into a single wall socket, and not share that socket.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #21 of 51
Though I do have one final bit of advice to think about. This single thing is always over-looked here. You need to focus on the 1/4 inch adapter if your using one with the Asgard. The 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapters often have issues where they only work best with the product they were supplied with. That means that yes, 4.4mm/3.5mm/1/4inch.....are all standardized and only 3.5mm Pro is not.

Still!

What happens is the connection at the actual 1/4inch to 3.5mm plug adapter is causing the distortion and, yes it can sound exactly like that.........only on one channel and be intermittent believe it or not? Many don’t know about this issue.

Most of the time the issue is fixed by going in a drawer and simply changing the 1/4 inch adapter plug. :)

Yep I've tried to swap multiple extra 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters that I have, all have the same issue. Also just a note that for all 4 headphones I have, they all have their individual connectors of sorts, 3 needs adapters, 1 just has a cable that ends in a 1/4" connection, but all has the same issue.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 51
This sounds like a grounding issue like the 1/4 inch adapter isn't going deep enough to connect properly. My gut is leaning towards the 1/4 inch adapters, but if I understand you correctly the sound is still there even with an iPad etc. This pretty much removes the cables and shows the amp has an issue.

What if you spin the 1/4 inch adapter a little while listening for the noise. Do you hear it or does it become intermittent?

I've just tested this, unfortunately did not change anything, but funny enough though when I mentioned before that pulling out the 1/4" so it's not in all the way, actually causes the issue to go away haha, strange to me.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 51
Another thing I'm noticing from the two different days I've tested this (only 1 test per each day)

The issue doesn't seem to be there on cold start for the amp, like if the amp was off for x amount of hours, start it up, the initial x amount of minutes there are no issue, after a while it kicks in. (from rough estimate it's probably between after 15 - 30 minutes)

Once the issue is present, if you go and unplug/plug it in elsewhere or turn it off and on, issue is still there. Only seems to be gone the next time it has a cold start, after being off for x amount of hours.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 51
That's great!

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #27 of 51
Yep!! Already on the way, it'll be here monday/tuesday next week all the way from US to Australia. Can't say enough about the customer service, handled it very well and quickly got the replacement shipped out to me soon as I provided them with my return tracking, also immediately refunded my postage for return as well.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #29 of 51
How’s the new unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back