Strange audio issue with Asgard 3
Feb 10, 2021 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Edifier12

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently bought a Schiit Asgard 3 straight from the US (I'm from Australia) and are experiencing 2 strange issue.

A bit of background of my usual set up:

Audio issue diagram.jpg

After the first couple of days of using it, I notice a strong hum/electrical noise when listening through the headphone amp. After some research on multiple forums, speaking to audio stores in my city, and others more experienced in audio, came to my own conclusion that it could be related to or appear to be a ground loop issue.

I then purchased an iFi iDefender+ along with an iPower 5v power supply in an attempt to remove the ground loop, so far seems to have significantly reduced the noise, and the loud electrical noise/hum is mostly gone, only the slight bit maybe after 12 o clock on high gain.

However there's a remaining issue:

From my right ear, with all the above headphones, I can hear this harsh, sharp, raspy sort of distortion, especially voices in videos/streams, or vocals in songs.

Just a really hard to explain sharp, uncomfortable raspy noise when sound is playing, mostly super obvious in vocals in songs/voices in videos, with loud enough music, and bass heavy or busy songs, it is not as obvious. it almost sounds like having an old Mp3, CD player, with crappy 3.5mm connection, and if you don't plug it into the right position, the audio sounds like a bit of a buzz/static noise, while you still hear that it is someone singing/talking, its a little like that. Wish there was a way I can record it.

Tests I've done:

• iDefender+ & iPower on the USB cable from my Scarlett to the PC, reduce the initial ground loop type hum/electrical noise a lot if not all gone, but this right ear problem is not affected by it.
  • Changing volume/Gain doesn't seem to matter it's just easier/harder to notice, it's noticeable even on low gain, less than 12 o clock on volume.
  • Changing source doesn't matter it seems, switched to RCA to 3.5mm cable, into a 3.5mm to USB C cable then to my mobile phone, no noise or other hum/distortions other than that raspy sound described in the right ear when playing something.
  • Switching power boards, different power outlets around the house, different power cable doesn't help.
  • No source/no cables into the input at all, no noise what so ever.
  • Switching left and right side on my HE-4xx cable, the noise/issue switches from right to left.

Few interesting things I've found:

• Unplugging the right channel of the input RCA to the amp, leaving only the left channel, no issue.
  • If I pull the SE 1/4" headphone cable/plug from my amp out by about 25%, the sound is more "hollow" and less loud/intimate, but the noise is gone.
  • Most noticeable on DT 177x Go, then HD 598, then not as noticeable on HE-4xx, much harder to notice on AKG 712 Pro.
  • If I use RCA to RCA cable going from my Asgard's Pre-out, into an Edifier S1000db, as far as I can tell the issue isn't there on the right channel.
I've contacted Schiit support, but the time difference, response time through email will make this a little challenging, will see...

So all of these things so far leading me to believe it's still some kind of distortion to do with my amp, and maybe even affecting the headphone jack, of course I know nothing about audio/electrical stuff to really say for sure, which is why I'm here for some much needed help. Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated. Feel free to ask me anything and I can try my best to clarify, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 51
Hello and hopefully I can help.

1.) Can you run your setup normally and then flip your headphones from left to right so that the left earcup is now on your right ear etc. Play music like you normally would and report back. ( This is a hearing type of test. )

2.) Do you use a volume control on the Focusrite to adjust the gain going into the amp? ( Looking for some strange clipping issue here. )

3.) Does the raspy sound go away at a given volume be it louder or quieter? ( Channel imbalance or potentiometer issue. )

4.) If you listen to your setup just using the headphone out on the Focusrite does the sound persist?

5.) If you swap the 1/4 TR patch cables around does the sound follow a particular cable?

If it were me and I didn't plan on sending the Asgard back I would:
a.) Unplug it and let it sit for 20s
b.) Open it up and take a look inside looking for loose components or a bad ground wire especially coming from the potentiometer.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 51
Thanks for your questions, really appreciate the help, I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities:

1. Yes I have flipped my HE-4xx L/R cable the other way around and the issue switches to my left ear cup (originally on the right side). The sound only occurs when I have something playing by the way!

2. I have a big volume knob at the front of the Focusrite, I only have it about 12 o clock most times, lowering it and upping it doesn't resolve the issue. (I've also tested with other sources such as a mobile phone, iPad, laptop to the amp, bypassing the Focusrite, all had this issue.

3. fuzzy/raspy sound stays regardless of gain/volume level, sometimes honestly easier to notice on lower volume. I've notice on the AKG 712 Pro, it is the hardest to notice the sound, but if you listened carefully it's still there.

4. Headphone out of my Focusrite has no issue, also pairing the Focusrite (the same way) but with my Magni 3, also no issue.

5. I'm not understanding this one perfectly, but I've tried switching the positive negative of the TS 1/4" to RCA cable, same issue, I've tried to swap the cable to a "better" cable, same issue. I've also tried bypassing the Focusrite, only using RCA to 3.5mm cable to test with laptop, iPad, phone, same issue.

I thought about opening it up, but I honestly have 0 clue about electronics to know how I would even begin. I started calling a few reputable audio/Hi-Fi repair store close to me, but they said that they would charge a fee just to take a look, and advise me to consider given the cost to open it up would be like 1/3 of the cost of my AMP. Plus sounds like such a strange issue they aren't sure if they would be able to identify it right away.

I'm currently in an attempt to contact Schiit audio, I understand they only have the email option, I believe I logged an email ticket with them on Feb 7th, they responded Feb 8th, I've then followed up the email a few times since, and I haven't heard back since Feb 8th, I'm a little worried that maybe they just haven't received it or something.

But I'm going to wait till Monday again to see what happens...

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 51
Ok, so the great part is no issues straight from the Scarlett headphone out.

Is it easy for you to attempt a Ipod or phone output to the Asgard with a RCAX2 to 3.5mm cable or RCAX2 to RCAX2 to a 3.5mm to RCAX2 adapter? This way we will discover if it’s an issue inside the Asgard line in.

I’ve read all posted but didn’t seem to scan over such test. It would be the next logical step as your taking the Scarlett out of the picture. Make sure the line out of you phone or IPod is at a strict zero and add accordingly avoiding 100%. Go like to 10 or 20% of full volume and listen for the issue again. If the issue is in the Asgard you will notice it again and have your definition of an answer here.

For extra fool-proofing here you need to use a separate RCA cable. Having two methods is in fact another way to prove it’s not the cable. As if it IS the cable after all there would (on the outside) be a chance to replicate the original issue with it being the cable as the issue. I’m pretty sure it’s the Asgard, but that’s a guess (before checking) with this test. :)

I actually used this as a way to use my iPod with hard to drive headphones and my Asgard, so I know it works well and is safe to do.

Cheers!

Edit:
The only other wildcard would be the Asgard is amplifying the signal in such a way you are now able to hear USB signal PC noise. The PC USB noise can actually be a style of ground loop. I would try optical and see, if you can.

Also for completeness here make sure your line in RCA cables are always going into the Asgard line in and not the “pre-out” by mistake.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 51
Ok, so the great part is no issues straight from the Scarlett headphone out.

Is it easy for you to attempt a Ipod or phone output to the Asgard with a RCAX2 to 3.5mm cable or RCAX2 to RCAX2 to a 3.5mm to RCAX2 adapter? This way we will discover if it’s an issue inside the Asgard line in.

I’ve read all posted but didn’t seem to scan over such test. It would be the next logical step as your taking the Scarlett out of the picture. Make sure the line out of you phone or IPod is at a strict zero and add accordingly avoiding 100%. Go like to 10 or 20% of full volume and listen for the issue again. If the issue is in the Asgard you will notice it again and have your definition of an answer here.

For extra fool-proofing here you need to use a separate RCA cable. Having two methods is in fact another way to prove it’s not the cable. As if it IS the cable after all there would (on the outside) be a chance to replicate the original issue with it being the cable as the issue. I’m pretty sure it’s the Asgard, but that’s a guess (before checking) with this test.

Also for completeness here make sure your line in RCA cables are always going into the Asgard line in and not the “pre-out” by mistake.

Thanks! I have tried the phone/iPad test, the issue was there when I tested previously. I've also tried switching cable when I'm using my Focsurite as I recently purchased a brand new 1/4" TS to RCA, no change.

Ok update: just went to test again as I haven't switch the amp on for about 12+ hrs...

I've thought about "taking apart" the device, so I've gone to unscrew the top 4 screws, but didn't have the tool to take out the volume knob (which i assumed is required before being able to take the top cover off), so I gave up, put the 4 screws back on. Since then, powering the amp back on, I am not having the issue yet (about 5 - 10 minutes in), tested with Focusrite and Phone as source so far, tested different volume levels. What I might do is leave it playing while I have headphone off for sometime, and come back in like 30 minutes - an hour and see if the noise comes back... Strange as before I've unplugged/change power port multiple times and the issue remained. I doubt me unscrewing the top 4 screws would've done anything.

I'll leave it on and test more tonight and see what happens.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 51

This was the first thing I thought about, however so far no report of this regarding the Asgard 3 that I've found, and the Jotunheim was released earlier... I'm no good with electronics but I've tried to replicate those multimeter ohm tests with what I have, and touching the top of the case and one of the RCA ports yield 1 Ohm... That's fine right? Again I have no clue about electronics..

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 51
Nevermind It's back :)... :sob:

1) You need to make clear in the original post you have used 2 RCA cables and a phone to test.

I don’t want to turn this thread into a USB noise thread. But if you don’t need big DSD file playback and you primarily live in the 320Kbps-16/44.1-24bit realm and the DAC takes optical your way better off to figure out how to get an optical line out on your PC and leave all this BS as history. Taking the amp apart? Really? Go back the last 10 years here, like where I have lived......:).

The USB intermittent noise....it can come and go and be from power-lines above your house, or house wiring!mi

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 51
Just buy some $19 optical card for your PC and call it a day. Even if it turns out to be the Asgard in the end, your still ahead.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 51
ED89CC38-FEF8-4F66-A5EB-4820ADFCB188.png

See where it shows the optical port. There. :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 51
I don’t want to turn this thread into a USB noise thread. But if you don’t need big DSD file playback and you primarily live in the 320Kbps-16/44.1-24bit realm and the DAC takes optical your way better off to figure out how to get an optical line out on your PC and leave all this BS as history. Taking the amp apart? Really? Go back the last 10 years here, like where I have lived......:).

The USB intermittent noise....it can come and go and be from power-lines above your house, or house wiring!

Yeah so hard to say for sure, again I know so little. However, testing with RCA to 3.5mm directly to an iPad, it has the same issue, same with the RCA to 3.5mm straight to a laptop (bypassing the Focusrite all together).

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 51
Well then it is the Asgard. The whole optical thing is to focus on if you feel you have timing issues.

But yes, if you have bypassed everything (Scarlett/PC) and the Asgard is still doing it then you need to have the Asgard worked on. It’s most likely not something your going to be able to fix yourself.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 51
Though I do have one final bit of advice to think about. This single thing is always over-looked here. You need to focus on the 1/4 inch adapter if your using one with the Asgard. The 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapters often have issues where they only work best with the product they were supplied with. That means that yes, 4.4mm/3.5mm/1/4inch.....are all standardized and only 3.5mm Pro is not.

Still!

What happens is the connection at the actual 1/4inch to 3.5mm plug adapter is causing the distortion and, yes it can sound exactly like that.........only on one channel and be intermittent believe it or not? Many don’t know about this issue.

Most of the time the issue is fixed by going in a drawer and simply changing the 1/4 inch adapter plug. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back