Straight Story or Further impressions of the SuperMono
Sep 9, 2004 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bobjew

100+ Head-Fier
About a month ago, I got an email from Xin Feng about the OPA 637 opamp. He thought it may sound good in the XP-7 I have because it uses the same buffers as the ones he was experimenting with for the SuperMono and he found the combination especially good.

A couple of days later, a package from Xin arrived in the mail with a pair of OPA637's mounted on Brown Dog adapters specially hand trimmed to fit into a future SuperMono. It looked like approx. 1-1.5 mm was shaved off of each side of the Brown Dogs very close to the legs.

I installed them that night into the XP-7 and the sound was totally underwhelming. The overall sound was very nice right out of the box, but lacking in detail, congested, and "small" sounding. I left it on without high hopes for these and went to bed.

After a night of play, the opamps the next morning sounded much better, they were actually loosening up and sounding bigger in the Bass and everwhere else.

After 3 days of play the OPA's were showing great promise. By 10 days. they were burned-in and fantastic. They are what I have been looking for. Finally, everything sounded "right", very accurate and really real.

I am an OPA man and never knew it! The XP-7 was sounding the best I've heard. Perfect sibilance rendering with any female voice to go through it. Never unaturally hissy or blown out. Greater Bass and high frquency control than any of the AD opamps tried.
The only problem is that the batteries in the XP only lasted for 4 good hours of play.

Now I'm thinking the SM will be something awesome because the opamps, buffers and battery life will be optimized and maxed out for it.
A couple of weeks ago, my buddy George and I took another trip to Davis and lo and behold, Beta versions of the SM on Xin's bench.

In what's becoming a running joke with us, I grab 'em off the bench and put them in my bag.
As is now also customary, we go to dinner and out come the amps. Xin proceeds to explain the three different versions. I give two back- the version with the (x3) stacked buffers, OPA 637 appealed to me the most.

After much experience with all the versions of Xin's amps, I find the Bass Boost, Impedance adjustment, etc., always turned off so I can live without those items. Now there's a choice- you can have the extras or not.

After having some experience with burn-in of the opamps, this amp got the same burn-in; about 10 days. I have been listening to the SM exclusively since then.

Can't believe my ears, as they say. Here is the list of the adjectives in Rohrsharch form:

warm. complex. sexy. round. detailed. refined. fun. powerful. realistic.

With piano such as the Steinway that Hiromi uses (Brain, Another Mind/Telarc) the SM gets it sounding very much like the Steinway she played here in Oakland a short time ago. On female vocals, it nails Diana Krall's or Bjork's voice without excessive sibilance or brightness. Cymbals are sweet and hyper detailed. Mile's trumpet is just the right brassiness.

Horizontal stereo separation is off the map and out to the limits of perception. Very good front/back separation but not spectacular. Bass is stellar due to the stacked buffers. This amp goes way down with great tightness, detail and slam, but only when appropriate- when its in the music.

The musicscape here is extremely complex, full of detail, macro and micro. You are presented with an overwhelming and involving amount of raw material and difficult to unravel in one listen sometimes. The other amp that I have heard that has this quality is the MPX3.

I tried several phones with the SM. Grado HP-1000's, Senn 580 w/Zu cable, and the trusty Ety 4s's.
The best synergy seems to be with the Senns and Etys. The Grados sounded a little flat and one dimensional with this setup. (Current porta system: 3G Ipod, SuperMono beta 3.5, Headphile Black Coral, Ety4s)

I agree with blessingx about the case and the exterior appointments of this amp. Not bad, but we've all seen Hammond cases and the front and rear panels are nowhere near the finish of the HeadRoom, LaRocca or Ray Samuels cases.

Another reason I picked the amp I did is that it didn't have any graphics on it. Amp designers should not attempt graphic design as most of their trys are pathetically bad. Just because you have a computer it doesn't mean you can be good at the art of graphic/logo design. Graphics designers spend many years learning their craft. The best graphics IMO is La Rocca and HeadRoom. There, I've said it!

We all come here for the sound though, and the SuperMono is an incredible and clever piece of work in that respect.

Sep 9, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 17
And smaller than the SR71!....Oh no! <hand hovers over bruised, beaten, and demoralized wallet> October is just a few weeks away.....

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 17
The only problem is that the batteries in the XP only lasted for 4 good hours of play.

Hi bobjew...
The XP-7 should give you more than 35 hours of listening with alkaline batteries, you should also try the 25.00 dollars per op-amp BB627BP, you will find it greater than the 637.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Sep 9, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks, Ray, I will try the 627 soon. The 9.6v Plainviews with the 637's in the XP-7 only gave me about 4 good hours, but would play around 6. With a set of Powerex rechargeables in the SuperMono goes for about 8 hours. Probably double for alkalines in all cases.

P.S.: I keep forgetting: This is for the high power which enables "WBW". I hope I'm getting tthe intials right, sounds mo' better but uses more juice. Default on the SM is battery-saver mode which lowers the current to double the battery life.

Sep 9, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 17
AWESOME preview/review Bob. Your descriptions really gave me the sense of what the SM is like, in clear, but rather descriptive terms. Yet it wasn't bogged down with jargon, which is much appreciated.

quit having so much fun w/o me though, you're making me regret leaving Berkeley all the more
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels

Hi bobjew...
The XP-7 should give you more than 35 hours of listening with alkaline batteries, you should also try the 25.00 dollars per op-amp BB627BP, you will find it greater than the 637.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

I thought the 627AP sounds exactly the same (at least when testing in a PPA) and can be bought for $18 per op-amp. Is there actually a difference in sound?

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks, Joey. I always try to write in a way so I may understand myself.

Mike: I have not heard the 627's, but Xin thought the 637's sounded better than 627's in the SM. Maybe the 627's sound better than 637's in the XP-7.
Must be an electronic thing.

Sep 10, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjew
Thanks, Joey. I always try to write in a way so I may understand myself.

Mike: I have not heard the 627's, but Xin thought the 637's sounded better than 627's in the SM. Maybe the 627's sound better than 637's in the XP-7.
Must be an electronic thing.

Well, the 627 sounds really good in my PPA as well but I haven't tried the 637 (not sure if it will work with my diamond buffer). They also took a little burn-in before really showing what they can do. I think it's my favorite opamp at the moment.

So no more asymmetrical setups for you?

Sep 11, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 17
M:
Not ruling out assymmetry. (637&627?) But the 637's are satisfying enough by themselves so no need for me to mess with it. For kicks, I did try a AD8610 with OPA637 and the sound sigs are too far apart. Didn't work. Would you be interested in trying out my 637's in your PPA? I would like to try your 627's.

Sep 11, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

M:
Not ruling out assymmetry. (637&627?) But the 637's are satisfying enough by themselves so no need for me to mess with it. For kicks, I did try a AD8610 with OPA637 and the sound sigs are too far apart. Didn't work. Would you be interested in trying out my 637's in your PPA? I would like to try your 627's.

The problem with the 637 is it sometimes has problems with the diamond buffer in the PPA. I don't think I want to take a chance on damaging anything with the amp or the opamps. Thanks for the offer.

I found the 627 in the for sale section real cheap. According to tangent's site, he could not tell any difference from the 627BP vs the 627AP (this being the cheaper of the two).

I'm sure we'll meet again if I ever make it out to any bay area meets.

Sep 12, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 17
From what I've read, it seems like the Supermono would be better compared to the PPA than the SR-71.

Size-wise, of course it's better to compare it to the SR-71.

But in terms of sound signature, wouldn't it be better to compare it to the PPA, given that they use the same opamps (AD8610 and OPA627/637) while the SR-71 uses different ones (stock one or AD797)?

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
But in terms of sound signature, wouldn't it be better to compare it to the PPA, given that they use the same opamps (AD8610 and OPA627/637) while the SR-71 uses different ones (stock one or AD797)?

I suspect you may be right in comparisons, but does anyone (besides Ray) really know which opamps the SR71 uses? Only guess I've heard is indeed the AD797, and I didn't think it was swappable.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 17
I hear you ,Mike, about the 637's and understand your concerns, if you're ever around it may be fun to do the PPA to SM comparison as well. Surprise coming from Xin; he won't say what though! Fun, generous guy.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

I hear you ,Mike, about the 637's and understand your concerns, if you're ever around it may be fun to do the PPA to SM comparison as well. Surprise coming from Xin; he won't say what though! Fun, generous guy.

Ripped from the Xin Cool Talk thread - Xin's impressions of each opamp in the Supermono.

OPA134: very warm. Will be used as default in all versions of SuperMono.
OPA627: very thick. I personally prefer this.
OPA637: very crispy. It is the most accurate and transparent.
AD8610: very smooth.

how's that for an impression? straight from Xin himself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back