Straight Dope on the K501 vs. K701 Comparison?
Feb 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #17 of 25
In my opinion, there is just no comparison. The K701 is in a different class to the K501. I have the K501 myself; my father has the K601. Even the K601 is straits ahead of the K501: on the whole less bass, but deeper and more impactful. The highs are less tinny; instruments have more body, just sound more 'real'. The good thing about the K501 is that is sounds light and airy; on its own this is quite nice, though it might take a bit of the 'power' out of more uptempo music. But if you compare to the other higher models by AKG, you realize how much better things can get. This is definitely true of the K601. I've only heard the K701 briefly in a shop but, from that short experience, I thought it was at least as good as the K601.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which of the two is best for movies ?

Depends slightly. If you're watching something with a lot of special effects/explosions/loud sounds, you might prefer the K-701 for the low end impact. Same if you're watching a rock concert.

But if you're watching something with mostly dialog and quiet and/or orchestral background music, go for the K-501. The mids are perfect for the human voice.

Quote:

Has K501 been replaced by K530 ?

I don't believe so, but I wasn't able to find much about the new K-530 in a few searches. If they are using K-501 drivers in the housing, I will pick one up. Does anyone know for sure?

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #20 of 25
AKG calls the K530 an "ideal entry model into the sophisticated world of hi-fi". It is a full-size, semi-open headphone that resembles and replaces the K301Xtra, the previous hi-fi entry model. The K530's XXL transducers incorporate AKG's Varimotion diaphragms for a wide frequency response with deep bass. The headband is self-adjusting for a perfect fit. The circumaural velour earpads are removable and washable.

I never have heard these, I wonder how they stack up.

Edit: Actually, check out the LTD black k530's, looks like velor earcups:

AKG Personal Audio - K 530 LTD

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Which of the two is best for movies ?

I would say that neither are really ideal for movies because there are phones that provide better impact for that, like beyers or senns.

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 25
I too like the 501s over the 701s (especially with the Fitz cable on the 501s though stock was great also). But they are a different and richer beast when the pads are changed. I thought the 701 pads were an improvement but did lose a little of the high end, so I tried 601 pads on the 501s and thought that was the perfect balance. enhanced the low-end and added warmth without compromising the treble at all. I listen to them more than anything else I own.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 25
The k501s are maddening to me. I find their midrange seductive beyond any other phone I've heard. Well powered, on the right material, they exceed any other phones I've owned or listened to.

But............ the bass is just too low on many recordings. I find myself listening louder in order to hear it, and I want to protect my hearing.

The k701 pads increase the bass quite a bit, but I'm not sure it's the right balance.

So it goes.

Yet, on the right recording, they are the best, better than the 701s.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k501s are maddening to me. I find their midrange seductive beyond any other phone I've heard. Well powered, on the right material, they exceed any other phones I've owned or listened to.

But............ the bass is just too low on many recordings. I find myself listening louder in order to hear it, and I want to protect my hearing.

I have always regretted having returned the K501's I had purchased brand new back in Dec 2003. Not just because it was a good Xmas deal (less than $100 after the holiday rebate,) but because the K501 midrange was sooo seductive. Voices were perfect on it. Yet indeed, bass seemed a bit lacking. I wasn't going to use them with a dedicated amp for some time, so the bass was the reason I returned them. Still I regret having done so.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #25 of 25
Hey! I finally opened up the (last iteration) K501 for a brief audition and I am quite impressed! With 5 minutes of break-in, they sound a tad smoother and a twitch more alive in the midrange than my K701, IMHO, and perhaps even a tiny bit more adroit/quick.

The K701 definitely provide more profuse bass, although I could certainly "live with" the K501's bass, which sounds quite focused and articulate in its own right. Dynamics are better served by the K701, as well as textures/timbre and realistic sense of musical "pressure," IMHO.

(RE: Bill Evans Trio, Sunday at the Village Vanguard/JVC XRCD.)

Thanks to all of you who egged me on to try them! : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back