[Story] Why Would We Develop BTA30 Pro?--From @FiiO Willson
Nov 19, 2021 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

FiiO

Sponsor: FiiO
In early December 2020, shortly after the BTA30 was released, there was already a crisis in chip supply. Considering the material preparation and sales situations at that time, it was expected that the BTA30 could only be sold until June 2021.

After a primary discussion, we roughly held on to two solutions.

Solution 1:
Same features, changed DAC: the advantage of this solution was that it required fewer R&D resources and can be brought to market quickly.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro1466.png

Solution 2:

It was to improve some functions of the previous BTA30 and make a more perfect product. However, it needed to change many parts and we could not expect the time to market. It would probably be out of stock for at least 2 months.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro1711.png

Later, after several rounds of evaluation and discussion, we decided to take the second solution.
Although it would be out of stock for a couple of months, it has supplemented the obvious shortcomings of the product, making for more complete functions and better using experience.

Compared with the BTA30, the BTA30 Pro comes with new functions as follows.
1. Added the USB processing chip XMOS, which supports USB lossless decoding (PCM is supported from the previous 48k/16bit to now 384k/24bit).
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro2215.png

2. As USB decoding capability becomes stronger, the LDAC Bluetooth transmission is also supported under USB input.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro2333.png

3. Upgraded DSP chip, DSD support has been upgraded from DSD64 to DSD256.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro2410.png

4. Added one-button switching to aptX Low Latency, achieving a lower latency game experience.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro2507.png

In addition, we have also paid attention to the problems that many BTA30 users have encountered, and made improvements, such as:
1. Some users complained that it was inconvenient to switch inputs in transmission mode. So we added a new one-button switching between input sources function, and corresponding indicator lights.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro2835.png

2. Some users said that it was too complicated when pairing with 2 Bluetooth headphones. So we separated the pairing by two paring buttons. One button is for one pair of headphones which features corresponding indicator lights.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro3066.png

3. Some users want the Bypass mode, so that they can connect the device to a TV through optical input and then output signals through Bluetooth headphones. After discussion, we decided to take this function in.
Willson微博-BTA30 Pro3280.png

This Bypass mode allows you to watch any program anytime with your headphones yet with no interruptions to others. It is very convenient.

The current BTA30 Pro has the most complete functions and supports the most Bluetooth formats. It can be said that it has become a true "Bluetooth monster". We also believe that it will have better performance than the BTA30 on the market.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 24
Can two BT receivers be connected simultaneously?

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 24
as a BTA30 user (truly handy and brilliant ‘lil tool); these steps would make the unit much more practical, and certainly cut down the need for some present workarounds (eg BTA30 will not transmit USB input as LDAC, so ‘as a workaround’ I feed the Nintendo Switch to TV (HDMI), then output TV (COAX) to the BTA30; which will THEN stream LDAC bluetooth)..

In that regard I would argue less ‘Pro’ users will enjoy the Pro model even MORE...

@FiiO (team) nice upgrade and will be sought after. Well done. (and empathy towards some of the shortage issues that have plagued various product lines AND the choices, ’pro consumer’ than have kept you busy through the ‘winter’..)

This should prove a VERY USEFUL audio tool for any prospective buyers!
I’d say that a Creative E5 / the FiiO BTA30 have proven, over the years, the best audio tool for allowing some incredible implementations; often in ways that were unplanned and just added extras..
The BTA30, as an example I might have bought for X,Y and Z features, but it has saved my bacon multiple times because of A, B and C features..
I reference a test, previously written about to celebrate the BTA30, where I fed an APT X (not APT X HD) feed from a Samsung phone, which fed a test track I have been using for decades; the optical output from the BTA30 output such a great rendition of the song -which, TRUE, -it was going into a new ladder DAC that needed some sort of source to keep feeding into it to ‘break in/warm up’ the many many component parts- but is sounded ‘the best‘ it has been in decades... (and the ‘upsampling‘ wasn’t on)
Tricks like being able to upsample inputs and switch them to other output types has had the FiiO BTA30 do many duties, for me, such as taking DACs that do not support the two major consoles (Switch and Playstation) and allowing them to connect due to FiiO goodness.

A Pro model with these improvements is a noticeable upgrade to a box whose main benefit is in ‘doing everything that might prove useful’.
When evaluating the true value of such dongles and ‘do-dads’- it is hard cause we will seldom factor the ‘smaller aspects’ that might prove totally useful in some future config.
This new model is a big increase in functionality and USABILITY and given how the first part was ‘way too cheap‘ (vs ultimate value given), any notion of a ‘Pro’ model is excellent - previously it was tricky to squeeze some functions from the box (such as multiple bluetooth handling and/or direction of transmit/receive getting in way of setting up/config, which was often needed to do stuff like the new ‘bypass’ feature) and doing more with difficulty now less, means ‘rocket scientists only’ no longer need apply.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 24
I was hoping the manufacturer rep would answer some or all of our questions as they should know their product. I found one on line reference to the transmission distance as being 100 feet. But, and every one has a big but, I want to know from the company what it is.

On another note, it does look very nice!

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 24
I was hoping the manufacturer rep would answer some or all of our questions as they should know their product. I found one on line reference to the transmission distance as being 100 feet. But, and every one has a big but, I want to know from the company what it is.

It's about the same or slightly better usable range with BT dongles or TWS IEMs that I've tried, compared against Pixel 3 or Sony XZ1 as transmitters. The range limit is likely due to the worst-performing wireless hardware on either end - in my case the dongles and TWS IEMs.

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 24

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 24
Chapter 2-1 Use Skills of FiiO BTA30 Pro

Because the BTA30 Pro has too many functions, some users may somewhat be confused. Therefore, I would like to share some skills about how to use the BTA30 Pro, just for your reference.
[Bypass mode]
Many users may know less about this function. Generally, TVs only have one optical output port. The bypass mode on the BTA30 Pro helps to release the optical output port on the TV. You can connect the optical output of the TV to the optical input of the BTA30 Pro, and then connect the BTA30 Pro to other devices, such as speakers, game consoles, etc. through the optical output of the BTA30 Pro.
At this time, the BTA30 Pro can also be used as a Bluetooth transmitter to connect to Bluetooth headphones, which support LDAC.
So there are several available use scenarios.
1. When watching a movie with your family, the BTA30 Pro can be connected to a speaker to share better sound quality.
2. When playing games with your family but do not want to bother others, each of you two can put on headphones to receive audio signals (The BTA30 Pro can be connected to two Bluetooth headphones at the same time).
3. If you want to watch football games or other TV programmes by yourself, you can also wear headphones.
In addition, the Bypass mode is supported in both Bluetooth transmitting mode and DAC mode. In DAC mode, it supports RCA analog output, optical output and coaxial output at the same time. The rich connectors allow you to connect almost any device you want.
In short, Bypass mode is a very practical function, which is convenient for connections to multiple devices.
Is this explanation clear enough? If you have any questions, please leave a message to us. We will try our best to help.
83fd1bf5-f5e7-434a-8371-9c94821b1790.jpg
101b5654-4b70-481e-af7d-db92cbdce893.jpg

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 24
I am looking and the manual and diagrams for the connectors for the BTA30 Pro. I am very confused. I would be looking to use this as a transmitter.

How does this thing get powered? It does not come with an AC adapter, and I don't even see a connector at the back to which power would go. I do see a USB input. Does this just take a regular 5V USB in through this port? But then if I have a DAP that doesn't have bluetooth, and all it have is an unbalanced 3.5mm regular jack going out, how do I connect that to the BTA 30 Pro so that I feed it audio?

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 24
I am looking and the manual and diagrams for the connectors for the BTA30 Pro. I am very confused. I would be looking to use this as a transmitter.

How does this thing get powered? It does not come with an AC adapter, and I don't even see a connector at the back to which power would go. I do see a USB input. Does this just take a regular 5V USB in through this port? But then if I have a DAP that doesn't have bluetooth, and all it have is an unbalanced 3.5mm regular jack going out, how do I connect that to the BTA 30 Pro so that I feed it audio?

Power supply specifications
USB powerDC5V 2A(recommended)
This is what I found. I hope it helps. This device looks to be pretty neato!

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 24

Power supply specifications
USB powerDC5V 2A(recommended)
This is what I found. I hope it helps. This device looks to be pretty neato!

Thanks for responding. Now I know that it really wants 2 Amps at 5V. But I still don't know for sure about the connectors. If I am sticking 5V at 2 Amps into that last USB IN female port next to the antenna, how do I get *audio* into it if I am outputting from a DAP or other device that has a basic unbalanced 3.5mm female audio jack?

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for responding. Now I know that it really wants 2 Amps at 5V. But I still don't know for sure about the connectors. If I am sticking 5V at 2 Amps into that last USB IN female port next to the antenna, how do I get *audio* into it if I am outputting from a DAP or other device that has a basic unbalanced 3.5mm female audio jack?
This is for the non-Pro version but I would think (?) them the same in/output wise.

1 x Optical TOSLINK Input. 1 x RCA Digital Coaxial Input/Output. 1 x USB Type-C Audio Input/Output, Power Input. 1 x Optical TOSLINK Output 1 x Stereo RCA Line Output (≤3 VRMS)

One would think there would be twiin USB ports for separate power and digital in/out functions, but NooOOooo...It look like one or the other at a time. Of course I could be wrong and the Pro has two USB ports. And I hope I am wrong and it does!

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 24
This is for the non-Pro version but I would think (?) them the same in/output wise.

1 x Optical TOSLINK Input. 1 x RCA Digital Coaxial Input/Output. 1 x USB Type-C Audio Input/Output, Power Input. 1 x Optical TOSLINK Output 1 x Stereo RCA Line Output (≤3 VRMS)

One would think there would be twiin USB ports for separate power and digital in/out functions, but NooOOooo...It look like one or the other at a time. Of course I could be wrong and the Pro has two USB ports. And I hope I am wrong and it does!

Thanks. So you are saying that the the yellow female connector titled "Coax IN/OUT" get an RCA "stereo" input? But that looks like mono connector, not stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back