Storm Pandora or Stello DA100
Oct 3, 2007 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Knockturne

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be listening to a pair of Edition 9s paired with a Rudistor RPX-33 and need a DAC to feed them. Do you think either DACs would have particularly good synergy with these, and what would be the positives and negatives of each? I'd prefer the NOS sound but am wondering if the Pandora would add too much bass and too much warmth. Thanks.

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 23
It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that people who paid long ago still haven't received their Pandoras. Why would you even consider Storm as an option until he's made good?

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that people who paid long ago still haven't received their Pandoras. Why would you even consider Storm as an option until he's made good?

I agree. I don't understand the continuing fascination with Storm products. Getting them seems to be all but impossible and who knows how long they will be supported. There was also a thread about the previous Storm product about how poorly it was built. I guess the fact that it is "rare" makes it desireable to some people.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

To the OP, I think that it's highly unlikely that anyone has compared the two. You have to have a Pandora to do that. I haven't heard either unit but if this was the choice I had, it would be easy. I'd buy the one I knew I could get and felt comfortable that it would be supported.

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 23
Without continuing to harp on Storm's supply vs. demand issue more than anything I don't think that there are enough impressions about the sound of this DAC to really draw any meaningful conclusions about its performance compared to, well, anything. Conversely I can't think of reading anything bad about the Stello products, I know that I was considering a 220 before I got my balanced DAC. The DA100 seems to have a pretty established record of solid performance so given your two choices I'd go with the Stello.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 23
I just received my Stello DA100 today. I'm using it with iTunes (USB) from a MacBook Pro. It sounds wonderful with my Yamamoto HA-02 and AT W5000's. Stello was a great choice for me, I'm sure it would be for you as well.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding. Maybe I missed something, but aren't they just a bunch of thieves? Since when did people decide to start giving away money to them again?

It is surprising that people would still consider Storm after all that's happened. That's been the odd dynamic in this.

You've had a limited number of Storm apologists that have succeeded in muddying the waters on behavior that has been at a minimum incredible negligent, and at worst criminally fraudulent.

It's been accomplished by alternating between diplomatic-and not so diplomatic-posts that either shout down/criticize those who are calling Storm on its behavior, continuing to discuss Storm Products separately while exisiting customers haven't received their products, and the constant, constant carrot that delivery is-really, this time for sure-going to happen by such and such a date.

Particularly fascinating is that Storm has hardly answered any of these issues on its own. It has posters to do that on its behalf. It's a smart move...set and then fail expectations without formally committing on your company's behalf.

You can really see how a shrewd person can manipulate the internet and forums to build buzz (or defray bad buzz) regarding their product.

I think Storm has also benefitted from many Head-Fiers' good nature, who just couldn't believe that someone they liked and trusted was taking advantage of them.

Since we're constantly having new members who aren't aware of the controversy, pointing it out so that they're fully informed before making any purchase decisions is helpful.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 23
I've completely given up on my Pandora ever surfacing. Storm is a lost cause, and it'd be stupid to board a sinking ship -- even if you're able to buy a used one, there's quite a lot of risk involved. Note that my D02 broke after one year and I had to spend a few hundred dollars to try to repair it, but to no avail. I was eventually out $500+ (repair costs & refund for the buyer), and a DAC.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 23
there's another thread discussing all the problems with the vapor-ware known as the diablo. i thought waiting for a xin product was the worst...but at least it eventually arrives.

stello without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back