Storm Pandora or Stello DA100
Oct 4, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is surprising that people would still consider Storm after all that's happened. That's been the odd dynamic in this.

You've had a limited number of Storm apologists that have succeeded in muddying the waters on behavior that has been at a minimum incredible negligent, and at worst criminally fraudulent.

It's been accomplished by alternating between diplomatic-and not so diplomatic-posts that either shout down/criticize those who are calling Storm on its behavior, continuing to discuss Storm Products separately while exisiting customers haven't received their products, and the constant, constant carrot that delivery is-really, this time for sure-going to happen by such and such a date.

Particularly fascinating is that Storm has hardly answered any of these issues on its own. It has posters to do that on its behalf. It's a smart move...set and then fail expectations without formally committing on your company's behalf.

You can really see how a shrewd person can manipulate the internet and forums to build buzz (or defray bad buzz) regarding their product.

I think Storm has also benefitted from many Head-Fiers' good nature, who just couldn't believe that someone they liked and trusted was taking advantage of them.

Since we're constantly having new members who aren't aware of the controversy, pointing it out so that they're fully informed before making any purchase decisions is helpful.

I'm actually copying your excellent post and pasting it into the Diablo thread I started. It's too applicable to the situation to be left unsaid. Hope you don't mind.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #17 of 23
I have Ed9's and am using a Northstar M192 Dac. I love this dac over my previous Benchmark Dac1 I recently sold. Huge sound, detail AND warmth!

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went with the Stello. I love it!

x2. My dealings with Stello and their products have been professional and enjoyable.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Ed9's and am using a Northstar M192 Dac. I love this dac over my previous Benchmark Dac1 I recently sold. Huge sound, detail AND warmth!

Nice choice on the DAC, another very happy Northstar owner here
k1000smile.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 23
I would steer clear of Storm until the water has settled and is crystal clear. There may yet be some snapping turtles waiting under the sewery murk, and there's no reason to stick your hand in to find out. Wait until someone reliable receives a Pandora and reports back good sound and no issues (this last part means waiting to see if issues develop, not just an initial report!). There's no reason to be interested in Storm's products at all until that happens (unless you're one of the people who paid for a D02 long ago and didn't receive one, in which case you have a right to be as interested as you want).

If the Pandora is an improvement upon the D02 even only in terms of quality it will be an incredible DAC. I say this after having compared the D02 to the Monarchy M24, Monica 2 and DAC-AH. The D02 gets so many things right without leaning too far in any one direction. It sounds like a hybrid between NOS and OS. Its holographic imaging is (well, was) one of its major selling points. It just wasn't reliable. I can't stress that enough. The Pandora is supposed to address all that, but we'll see. And again, there's no reason to care until you've heard some reliable reports that it has.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #21 of 23
I am going to admit to being a harsh on this one but there is absolutely no excuse that Storm could give for their behavior. I mean taking people's money and then disappearing and then acting like they were the victim and the dissapearing again and then having the BRASS BALLS to resurface with the same company name and months later still not make fully good. Personally I would need years of good behavior before purchase and secondly why would any of with any interest in helping the community purchase from people like Storm or Headphonia (just love the name and think it is soooo appropriate)
You have many great choices I would urge you buy from a reputable company that will stand by the product you but oh and actually send you what you pay for in a timely manner.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 23
As said by someone above, steer clear of the storm until the waters have settled.

If he finally gets hit **** together and starts reliably shipping the units out then I still have faith in it because it sounds so nice.... however i wouldn't strictly recommend anyone putting any money down before that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back