Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Apr 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #181 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this thread brings back memories. Funny reading through it. Whatever happened to my internet bodyguards? Mike? Chris?

On topic: the thoughts in my op, along with Duggeh's fine response, still hold true for me a year and a half later, perhaps moreso. Guess there's no time like the present to say it all again.

And your position on commenting negatively on things one haven't heard?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #182 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure it would be NOT to do so
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #184 of 316
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure it would be NOT to do so
wink.gif

Skylab has it right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me that is more of an issue than suggesting things you haven't heard.

Malidian, I think both recommending and trashing gear you haven't heard is screwed up because they're both misleading and entirely unnecessary. I don't know why people feel the need to post recommendations or trashings just to post. Though, and as has already been said in this thread, if you want to state that you haven't heard something, but point someone in a direction that might help them, I don't see a problem with that, as long as you're up front about it. I also think it's fine to comment on things like build quality, specs, circuitry, provided you have the background to do so, positively or negatively, even if you haven't heard something, but again, make it clear.

tubaman, I'm not sure why you asked me that question, since the answer, as Skylab stated, is pretty obvious based on everything I've said in this thread and elsewhere. I also remember you as the guy who brought this thread back from the graveyard the first time around with rather contentious commentary.

Quote:

I confess and apologize that I didn't to read the entire thread. But I think people should be free to estimate or even just guess, on the quality of something they have not heard (the opinion could be valuable or lead to valuable info). After all, this is a public forum and original posters has the opportunity to clarify and ask further questions regarding the responses. Free speech? If the people who ask question are too dumb to clarify things before they buy, are they really the victims?

Still, I agree it'd be nice if people would provide background info of their experience with the stuff they comment on, but telling people to stop commenting on something they have no personal knowledge/experience with is the wrong approach, IMHO.

Do you still think that way?

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #186 of 316
Hi, Miguel. Nice to see you, too. I took a break for awhile, mostly due to an insane work schedule, and also feeling I didn't have much to contribute anymore, just saying the same things over and over, though I continue to be a lurker. I hope all's well with you.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #187 of 316
As someone who started out solely relying on head-fi for impressions, I usually look at the sig or gear list in the profile before actually believing what anyone posted here. It's hard to believe someone who haven't heard or auditioned the gear he/she is commenting on.
smily_headphones1.gif

As tubaman said, this is a free forum, anyone can post about impressions, real or just "read about somewhere". So its mainly up to the one reading to differentiate between which is reliable and isn't. Unfortunately posting about gear one hasn't heard, seen or touched is very common in this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #188 of 316
Quote:

Skylab has it right.

Malidian, I think both recommending and trashing gear you haven't heard is screwed up because they're both misleading and entirely unnecessary. I don't know why people feel the need to post recommendations or trashings just to post. Though, and as has already been said in this thread, if you want to state that you haven't heard something, but point someone in a direction that might help them, I don't see a problem with that, as long as you're up front about it. I also think it's fine to comment on things like build quality, specs, circuitry, provided you have the background to do so, positively or negatively, even if you haven't heard something, but again, make it clear.

tubaman, I'm not sure why you asked me that question, since the answer, as Skylab stated, is pretty obvious based on everything I've said in this thread and elsewhere. I also remember you as the guy who brought this thread back from the graveyard the first time around with rather contentious commentary.

Do you still think that way?

Yes, but no rant from me.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #190 of 316
Quote:

Hi, Miguel. Nice to see you, too. I took a break for awhile, mostly due to an insane work schedule, and also feeling I didn't have much to contribute anymore, just saying the same things over and over, though I continue to be a lurker. I hope all's well with you.

Sorry on your insane work schedule! As far as nothing to contribute easy!
wink.gif
By lots of stuff and write about it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #192 of 316
Hello Vicki and others, This is the first time I come upon this thread and I agree, although I might have been culpable of this in the past in my enthousiasm not stating clearly enough, i think you have a real point here. I too solely rely on head-fi and manufacturers websites and maybe some other review sites because it is very difficult for me to go to a demo store. So it is very important to get impressions from people that have actually heard the gear you are interested in.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #194 of 316
Quote:

I think both recommending and trashing gear you haven't heard is screwed up because they're both misleading and entirely unnecessary.

Quote:

I also think it's fine to comment on things like build quality, specs, circuitry, provided you have the background to do so, positively or negatively, even if you haven't heard something, but again, make it clear.

these two statements seem to be in horrible contradiction to each other.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #195 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these two statements seem to be in horrible contradiction to each other.

Not if you read them properly.

The first statement is a commentary on the recommendation of equipment by those inexperienced with said equipment. It relates to positive and negative opinions and, broadly, to subjective assertions.

The second statement concerns the posting of technical points which can be established by examination of available factual information given the proviso that the comments are founded not in that fact but also in a capable understanding of that fact. It relates, broadly, to objective assertions.

The second point ends with the clause that a clarification of ones own personal knowledge and expertise is a good idea in cases where there may be any doubt. I think this was done in order to avoid a layman shout-down such as the one you hesitate toward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back