Stoner Metal IEM's?
Sep 5, 2009 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
I have recently lost my UE SuperFi 5 Pros and I need to replace them. I have recently started listening to lots of stoner rock/metal like Down, Acid King, Queens of the Stone Age, Electric Wizard, etc. and I would like an IEM that can provide a nice thick chunky bottom end. Fine detail is not a necessary item as this genre of music is not for detailed listening. Isolation is, however, a necessary item, as I use these aboard boats with droning diesel engines.

I would VASTLY prefer to pay less than 100 for these, but I am willing to go no higher than 150 to get excellent isolation and groovealiciousness.

Thoughts?

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 17
In my opinion, Ie8's because of sound stage. And I have listened to QOTSA with the Westone 3's, and it's pretty unbelievable.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, Ie8's because of sound stage. And I have listened to QOTSA with the Westone 3's, and it's pretty unbelievable.

He said less than $100 :p

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm a Stoner Rock aficianado from way back.

Not bragging. It's just true.

I grew up on Black Sabbath and Arthur Lee and Rockcelona and Hendrix and Piel De Pueblo ... some of the most infamous precursor material to today's "Stoner Rock Gods" like Wino, Electric Wizard and Witch and Fu Manchu.

And I can honestly recommend the Sure SE530's. They do said genre more than enough justice. Really crunchy and sweet mids. Really nice bass ... and highs that are not so strident as to bug you after listening for three hours. Give them a try before buying if possible. Find a local head-fier that has them and demo them. They are ace.

BTW:

Check my blog on MySpace for a recent article I did on Stoner Rock and why I love it:

[size=large]Stoner Rock FTW![/size]

Rock on!

.joelito.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I can honestly recommend the Sure SE530's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He said less than $100 :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turbine/FX500/C710

I have thought about those Monster Turbines, I guess I might be able to find them about 100 bux somewhere online. Though the JVC wooden ones are very intriguing. Thanks for the thoughts koven, keep the suggestions coming!

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have thought about those Monster Turbines, I guess I might be able to find them about 100 bux somewhere online.

Thanks for the tip re: 100 dollars. I got carried away.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 17
I've already got a pair of Beyer DT 770's and Senn HD 580's, so I have PLENTY ammunition in the way of high end cans for stoner metal. What I need now is a cheap and isolating portable, something that I won't weep over if I lose or break them....

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 17
Sorry didn't read your post OP. If you can find the turbines for $100, I'd say go for it. They are great headphones.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 17
I own IE8, Turbine, E500, SF5EB and find SF5EB are really bass heavy and they isolate well. Audio Technica ATH-CKS70 may come close to SF5EB with heavy bass and it's bass goes really deep and reverb.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 17
I now have the Monster Turbines, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The bass just isn't quite controlled enough...it sounds like I am onstage with the band with my head right next to the kick drum, the BOOMP of the drum being just a little too noticeable. Also, there really isn't the kind of spaciousness of sound that I really like, like there is no space between the various instruments.

I am hoping these improve with burn in and/or I get accustomed to their sound (I paid 107 from ecost on eBay for these), but something tells me that I'm not going to turn the corner on these...
frown.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 17
Update: I have gotten more accustomed to the Turbines sound signature, but it is still a bit too boomy, and with the stock flanges they tend to slide out of my ears too easily, leading to ever changing sound. I use some spare comply foam tips with them which ensure a steady fit, but it messes with their sound and congests the midrange.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #15 of 17
You can't go wrong with the Head Direct RE0 for $99.
Even can control "Angel of Death" by Slayer without getting muddy.
Dave's double bassdrum sound sooo fine on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back