Stockhom, Sweden (Sept. 11-12, 2009) Impressions
Sep 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #31 of 71
More impressions.

Two amps that impressed me were snejk's Mapletree Ear+ HD and Donald North's DNA Sonett.

I listened to the Sonett only briefly through henmyr's new Grado HF2. I have only auditioned Grados on a couple of occasions so I am not really familiar with their sound signature, however this struck me as a very nice combo indeed (I also heard that the Sonett works well with HD800s although I am having a hard time making friends with mine so I didn't try this). The sound was detailed, dynamic and nicely balanced when driven by the Macintosh CD player. This is definitely a rig I could live with. The Sonett has the advantage of also being really nicely styled and finished to a very high standard as you can see from the pictures. Also, although it might not appeal to everyone I have to say I loved the powder blue paint finish. Nice to see a small volume product looking as good as it sounds. I have no doubt that this amp gives its buyers real pride of ownership!

Another combo that I spent some time with was snejk's Mapletree driving my Lawton LA2000. Having been told by MarkL that the low-Z Denons really don't really jibe with tube amps my expectations weren't particularly high, in fact I can't actually remember why I tried this at all. However it turns out that the Ear+ HD and the Lawtons absolutely loved each other and the resulting sound was my biggest surprise of the meet. This combo was sweet, detailed and deliciously musical with good extension at both ends and really good dynamics. In fact I can't really remember much else about the sound because it had me kicking back and enjoying the music in seconds. This is an amp that lists well below $1000 iirc and snejk snagged his second-hand for less than half that. An outrageous bargain! While I found the quality of the build and finish good I have to say the aesthetics were not to my taste, being a bit 'Heathkit'. However, with sound like that I think I could come to terms with the looks - this was without question my favourite dynamic combo of the meet. I would respectfully suggest that MarkL re-evaluates his prejudices regarding the ability of tube amps to drive his cans!

Although I didn't get around to trying it myself I also heard several people making complimentary remarks about the quality of snejk's Naim Headline. In fact despite the fact that his gear was far from the most expensive, it seemed like everything he had seemed to be sounding really good. The guy is onto something!

Finally, I had a very welcome surprise when Anders recommended I listen to his Stax Pro-reterminated HE60 driven by the Stax 717. I have a pair of HE60s although I have decided not to subject them to surgery and have no adapters as yet so have been unable to try them on any amp other than the HEV70. Wowzee! Reading others' reports is one thing but actually hearing it for oneself is quite another. These are really great cans! Such a shame that Sennheiser sold them with an amp that so conspicuously failed to show their full potential and saddled them with a strange proprietary connector which prohibits easy interoperability with other amps. I am having a HEV90 adapter cable made and look forward to being able to enjoy the HE60/HEV90 combo in a few weeks' time.

There was much I didn't get round to trying, but I spent the rest of the time talking to people and just soaking up the atmosphere. Robert was also delighted with how well everything went and has offered to support any future events we organize. Having become accustomed to the good life this might be a hard offer to refuse!

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by struts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I didn't get around to trying it myself I also heard several people making complimentary remarks about the quality of snejk's Naim Headline. In fact despite the fact that his gear was far from the most expensive, it seemed like everything he had seemed to be sounding really good. The guy is onto something!

Thanks for the kind words struts. Actually, I think I drew the lucky cards on sources that matched my other gear. After getting back home and installing everything I was somewhat underwhelmed when using my Naim cd5x as a source. It's a $2000 cdplayer but when I tried an old Sony pd-s06, which is several tiers below the Naim I was a lot happier. Guess it's time to go source hunting again... For starters the Meier StageDac is on it's way, I need a DAC and the StageDac seems to be a good buy, hopefully.

Your impressions remind me that I too was impressed with the HE60/717 combination, it rocked (me) in a way that the HE60/HEV70 or O2/717 didn't.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #33 of 71
And so to what I think for some was 'the main event', Orpheus:

CanJamAC20090905.JPG

CanJamAC20090912.JPG

CanJamAC20090909.JPG

CanJamAC20090920-1.JPG

CanJamAC20090910-1.JPG

CanJamAC20090919-1.JPG

CanJamAC20090917-1.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0867.JPG

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #35 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not the average pizza box. Anyone know or guess how many O's are out in the wild of Sweden/Scandiland?

Interesting question. I know for certain of two other HE90/HEV90 combos in Sweden so I am guessing there are maybe five-or-so in total. Then I expect there are at least 2 or 3 HE90s. No idea about the other Nordic countries.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #36 of 71
More pictures. We had two pairs of HD800, one with stock cable and one recabled with APS V3:

Sennheiser was extremely well represented at the meet with two pairs of HE60. Mine (below) were running off the HEV70, Anders had reterminated his with a Stax Pro connector and was running them off his Stax 717. As I reported above, the sound of that combo really opened my ears to what these cans are capable of, in fact I even preferred them to the O2s in the same rig.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #39 of 71
Some 300B sweetness.
smile.gif

Both amplifiers were mostly (only?) driving AKG K1000s...

CanJamAudioConcept0863.JPG
CanJamAudioConcept0862.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0855.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0884.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0885.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0887.JPG

..and a picture of the table and some attenders.
CanJamAudioConcept0883.JPG

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #40 of 71
Anyone else though that the Orpheus was rather loud? Lowest volume withouth channel imbalance was a bit too high for me.

To my ears, none of the electrostats there (maybe except ergo) lacked any bass, which I've read. Even the HE60 which I imagined being bright and bass less was very balanced to my ears.

I compared O2 and HE90, and while I could live with either, I was more into the HE90. I found the O2 to be very very neutral and flat, but when I heard the upfront mids of the Orpheus I just fell for them completely. I usually like a bit more midrange presence than neutral (Grado, AD2000 etc.) and Orpheus really had mids to die for.

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #41 of 71
More pictures, credited by p-pan. Thanks!
smile.gif

Foamies for the 'phones below
CanJamAudioConcept0870.JPG

JH Audio JH-13 Pro (Universal), and probably the JH-7 and JH-5
CanJamAudioConcept0869.JPG

CanJamAC20090904.JPG

CanJamAC20090914.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0866.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0896.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0881.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0878.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0861.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0871.JPG

CanJamAudioConcept0889.JPG

AudioConceptCanJam20090936.JPG

AudioConceptCanJam20090938-1.JPG

AudioConceptCanJam20090939.JPG

ear.jpg

Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

For a really nice meeting, and for all the pictures.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #42 of 71
Really impressive gear feeding the phones. This place looks like a must visit for any head/hi-fi freak visiting Stockholm

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #45 of 71
A few hours ago I came home from visiting Robert at Audio Concept again, this time I went home with a package aswell, in this package is a HD 800 to be found.
Whats gonna be driving it is yet to be decided but for now my Harmony Design Ear90 has to do.

By that said you can probably guess what I liked at the meet. :wink:
Coming from 6 years of Sennheiser use I guess it was kinda expected though.

Ive been slacking alot with the impressions I know, but its been quite busy.
Gonna try find some time to dig into the memory and type some more soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back