stock vista sound... or no?
Oct 2, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I was just doing a little reading and it sounds like most people are using either ASIO or WASAPI with Vista.

Until tonight, I was under the impression that it was frivolous to bypass the default sound drivers that Vista uses because the sound was improved to the point of being equivalent to ASIO...

Is there advantage to using ASIO or WASAPI?

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 17
well, I downloaded the Wasapi exclusive plugin for foobar... I'll have my rig complete soon... I'll give it a comparison test.

Is this all that is needed for installation... to download the foobar plug-in and activate it within foobar interface?

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 17
I'm using vista and I can tell you ASIO sounds better. The difference is subtle, but there is more clarity. It's not just me, I had my family blind test it to (didn't tell them which one had the "supposed better quality") just used the same song and played it (random order) and they said the one with ASIO sounds better. So I know its not just placebo for my ears.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 17
Unless you have 'allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' and 'give exclusive mode applications priority' UNTICKED, I don't think you will notice a difference.

If you can I'd like to know what you're using, sound card\cpu\ram\player\file type\bitrate.

Auzentech Prelude on RC-8 driver can output at up to 24Bit-192KHz if it's told to by the application. I can't notice a dif with my FLAC library - even have a few vinyls ripped to flac and they come in at 3Mbps.

DTS-MA 2.0 from some of my blurays comes in at 8Mbps+, I don't know how to test the blurays with ASIO though as I think it'd need a plugin for the software player (I use arcsoft TotalTheatre).

PS After listening to DTS-MA I want EVERYTHING in this format...

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #11 of 17
Gigabyte DQ6 (Motherboard)\Core 2 Duo 6400\4 Gigs PC800\Foobar2000\FLAC lossless\varied...

I actually probobly should have mentioned something earlier... I'm running digital out of my motherboard to an external DAC... so I don't even use an internal soundcard w/ a DAC. Is using ASIO / Wasapi still advantageous when one is just running digital out?

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by djembeplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what additional steps do I need to take to install ASIO4ALL (besides installing the foobar codec and activating it)?

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver
And install ASIO plugin for foobar2000
And than you are going to the options section in foob, and choose it as an output.

You will see, really not that hard
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back