Stock tubes in an ASL MG Head/OTL Mark III
Jan 7, 2006 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me what the stock tubes in an ASL MG Head/OTL Mark III are? I received one this week and the power tubes (6BQ5/EL84) were not labeled. The preamp tube (12AX7) is a Sovtek 12AX7LPS. I assume the other tubes are Sovtek as well, but I would like to know for sure before I buy any more new tubes.

On another note, are there any others out there that love New New Stock or current production tubes. I love finding inexpensive current production tubes that sound great. I have never felt comfortable shelling out $10s to $100s of dollars for a 50 year old tube that might sound a little bit better than a $9.95 tube. Especially when I can buy replacement current production tubes at any time.

In case anyone is wondering, I am currently using an Ei 12AX7EG, and a pair of Ei EL84EGs in mk ASL MK III.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 5
If the output tubes are not labeled they might be the Chinese made 6P14. Joe Lau of ASL uses these at times and has even stated that he likes them more than the Sovtek EL84.

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dag655321
I love finding inexpensive current production tubes that sound great.

Current production tubes that sound "great"? really? where? since when?
confused.gif
Most of the time they sound terrible. Thin, flat, cold, and bright. Actually there are some current production 2A3 and 12AX7 tubes that sound fairly decent. Case in point, the current Groove Tube 12AX7M is supposed to be fairly good at $20 a pop. The "M" stands for Mullard as they had taken apart an old Mullard ECC83 and reversed engineered the tube to create the GT 12AX7M. I'm planning on trying out one of these to see how it sounds.

Quote:

I have never felt comfortable shelling out $10s to $100s of dollars for a 50 year old tube that might sound a little bit better than a $9.95 tube.

Just "a little better"? You must've not had a chance to listen to some good NOS tubes. Buy a pair of NOS GE 6BQ5s for $40, and you will change your mind. It's like someone saying why pay $100 for a bottle of nice French bordeaux of good vintage when you can pay $2 at Trader Joe's for a bottle of two-buck Chuck. But maybe you like 2-buck Chuck because at the end you'll be just as drunk nontheless.

Quote:

In case anyone is wondering, I am currently using an Ei 12AX7EG, and a pair of Ei EL84EGs in mk ASL MK III.

I have an SET amp that came with an EH 12AU7 and a pair of the Russian 6p14p (=6BQ5 or EL84). I have tried several current production EL84/6BQ5s including the Russian 6p14p-EB, Sovtek EL84M, JJ EL84, Ei EL84. And I'm sorry to say, none of them can stack up to the Mullards and Amperex EL84s and 7189s that I have tried. They don't even come close to the GE, RCA, or the Sylvania 6BQ5s.

Regarding the price, actually, if you know where to search, you can find them for dirt cheap. Some of my best NOS EL84/6BQ5/7189 tubes costed me less than $10 each just a year ago.
icon10.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I think ASL was using Chinese el84's but I'm not sure. I'm sure you can call them to discuss...but it sounds like you have a good selection in the amp now.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 5
In the right circuit, the Sovtek 12AX7LPS is as good or better than many NOS tubes. Don't sneeze at this one, it's one of the best current production tubes around. You'll have to pay serious money to get better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back