Stock SQ: Ipod Touch vs Iriver H140/120?
Oct 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

_gl

100+ Head-Fier
(haven't been here for a while, could a mod change my username back to _gl?)

OK, so I'm thinking of defecting from my modded H140 to an Ipod Touch - but sound quality is hugely important. Has anyone tried both using the stock headphone outs, especially with lossles files? How do they compare?

I listen with my trusty Koss KSC-75s which I'm not planning on changing. If the Touch is significantly worse I'm sticking with my monochrome screen (I do miss album art though).

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 21
If SQ is so important, why don't you just buy an ibasso D10 and go from your optical out on the iriver to it rather than get the ipod touch...there's no question that SQ would be better that way than with the ipod

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I often use an H140-->D10--->KSC-35's and it's a nice combo.

I'm totally happy with my iRiver / KSC75 combination, I'm not looking to go amped or DAC'ed. My questions is if the Touch's phones out is considerably worse?

I tried one in a shop today with my 75s, and it sounded flat and lifeless to me. But as they (most likely) didn't have any lossless files on there I don't know how much of that is the DAC. Anyone tried lossless files files on the Touch?

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 21
imported_gl, all of the FOTM around the Touch centres on the 32GB/64GB models released in Sept, 2009 - these are the ONLY '3G Touch' models. I have heard the 32GB and the 8GB in store, and the former definitely has more clarity and nicer SQ, even with the supplied files. My *guess* is that they are iTunes downloads, and that is 256K AAC : Apple would claim that this is as good as 320K MP3, but it definitely isnt lossless.

In any case, it wasn't my music and that is never a good audition - best bet is to buy one from someone who will give you a refund in saleable condition if you return it within a certain timeframe. If you are happy with your iRiver, I wouldnt even go to that much trouble - I bought the Classic because no other DAP gives me so much storage at that price point and no other DAP will plug straight into so many docks etc from the line-out.

Knowing what I know now, I may have just settled on using my netbook in my bedroom rig - I had no idea how much bitterness existed *within* the ranks of iPod owners. Its far worse than any criticisms heaped on these players from the owners of other DAPs.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imported_gl

Just '_gl' (I haven't logged on for years and I guess my account got auto-transferred at some point and renamed).

Quote:

I have heard the 32GB and the 8GB in store, and the former definitely has more clarity and nicer SQ, even with the supplied files.

Ah, that's v. interesting. I was listening to a 8GB, so that's 2nd gen right. So the 3Gs are much better? If yes you've just made my life more expensive, I was hoping to snag a cheap 2nd gen on Ebay.

I use mine mainly on the go. The iRiver has been near perfect, but right from the start I've always missed a colour screen on it - I really want to see some album art. Having a decent wifi web browser would be handy too, as would some remote control/VNC type apps. Maybe even the odd video. And you can't beat the Touch's slimness compared to the bulky H140. And that gorgeous UI.

Downsides are (maybe) SQ and storage space. I'm tempted to put a 120GB drive in the iRiver as I've maxxed out my 60GB with lossless files. But if I'm going to spend that cash and the 3G is decent, then a 32GB 3G (taking only the tracks I actually like in my collection) would be a decent compromise. But SQ is the dealbreaker for me...

Quote:

In any case, it wasn't my music and that is never a good audition - best bet is to buy one from someone who will give you a refund in saleable condition if you return it within a certain timeframe.

That's good advice, I'll probably track down a 2nd-hand 3G and sell it on if I don't like it (they're too expensive for me new).

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 21
iPod = flat, lifeless SQ, you heard it right, that's not because of the files on the device. Stay with the iRiver if you don't need the app store. My SE phone sounds better than the iPod even with 80 kbps AAC+ files.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 21
Well you have a 1G. Changes to the audio has been made. The 1G is way below the 2G and 3G. I'd say pick an iPod Touch just based on the value of what you're getting with the device. If you can afford it the 3G comes with a Cortex A8 processor over the ARM11 in the 2G as well as better graphics/SQ (I think a Cirrus chip).

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod = flat, lifeless SQ, you heard it right, that's not because of the files on the device. Stay with the iRiver if you don't need the app store. My SE phone sounds better than the iPod even with 80 kbps AAC+ files.

(like your profile pic
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I think I'll just have to buy a 3G to test it, there are too many variables (generation, lossless files etc). But I'll try to audition a 3G with my KSC75s first to see if how much the SQ has improved over the 2G.

One thing I've found over and over in my searches is that the EQ sucks on the touch (creates clipping). No problem for me as I listen flat anyway.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 089709867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you have a 1G. Changes to the audio has been made. The 1G is way below the 2G and 3G. I'd say pick an iPod Touch just based on the value of what you're getting with the device. If you can afford it the 3G comes with a Cortex A8 processor over the ARM11 in the 2G as well as better graphics/SQ (I think a Cirrus chip).

I don't know man. I admit I have never heard a 2G and 3G touch, but I have read many comparisons among these three and there is no significant difference in the sound signature according to many.

And I can officially announce, that after months of use of the forum, someone noted my profile pic (and name by the way). I thought it was funny but few seems to get it at all. Anyway, thank you. iPod BOOOOO! But report back what you find with the 3G. It would be too much of a good thing to have a nice sounding iPod Touch.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 21
OK, so I finally secured a 64G 3G iTouch & ported my Wavpack collection to Apple Lossless.

(where I'm coming from: I listen to lossless, no EQ, straight into my KSC75s.)

First impressions, HO has very clean, detailed sound. Better than I expected from what I heard of the compressed track on the 2G in a shop (with my KSC75s plugged into it).

But - the iRiver has more soul. More definition, more involvement, and actually quite a lot more/warmer bass (in a neutral way). The iPod is good and not that far away - but it's sterile, and quite mid-heavy. The iRiver's spectrum is closer to my nice (neutral) recording studio setup.

I love the non-audio functions (as well as finally having album art) so much that I'm just prepared to sacrifice a little SQ - but maybe I won't have to! Just stumbled on the FiiO E1 inline headphone amp (was looking for a remote). From the review it sounds like it might get me closer to the iRiver:

"Its mid is not as upfront as HO or E5, which renders a colder and just slightly recessed vocal. However, it is not thin either. In comparison, E1 has better extension on both ends. Bass might not have the same quantity as E5 but the quality is better. It is punchier with much better definition. Treble shows more sparkle and detail while soundstage is wider. In sum, I'll describe E1 as having a clean, very neutral and transparent sound."

I'll report back when I've got it.

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 21
fwiw, the T3 breathed new life into my Classic - not sure how much is placebo, but there is definitely more bass punch and the player doesnt have to work so hard to drive my cans. That said, I didnt find the HP out on the Classic as objectionable as many seem to from day one, so I may not be the most objective owner. Line-out makes a significant difference with the iPod, but the money some spend on LOD cables is a bit OTT

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by _gl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just stumbled on the FiiO E1 inline headphone amp (was looking for a remote). From the review it sounds like it might get me closer to the iRiver:

Ok, I've had the E1 for a while now and love it. It massively (to my audiophile ears) improves the sound. Basically the reviews were spot-on - natural solid bass is back, treble is much clearer and less fizzy, and everything is more defined. Overall just a solid quality improvement, without any particular colouring (exactly what I wanted).

I'm not sure that it's quite up to the iRiver H1x0 series (I've taken my music and Rockbox off it, ready to sell) but it's much closer and I'm very happy.

The only thing the E1 is missing is a microphone (or mic socket), otherwise I recommed it.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by _gl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just '_gl' (I haven't logged on for years and I guess my account got auto-transferred at some point and renamed).

Ah, that's v. interesting. I was listening to a 8GB, so that's 2nd gen right. So the 3Gs are much better? If yes you've just made my life more expensive, I was hoping to snag a cheap 2nd gen on Ebay.

I use mine mainly on the go. The iRiver has been near perfect, but right from the start I've always missed a colour screen on it - I really want to see some album art. Having a decent wifi web browser would be handy too, as would some remote control/VNC type apps. Maybe even the odd video. And you can't beat the Touch's slimness compared to the bulky H140. And that gorgeous UI.

Downsides are (maybe) SQ and storage space. I'm tempted to put a 120GB drive in the iRiver as I've maxxed out my 60GB with lossless files. But if I'm going to spend that cash and the 3G is decent, then a 32GB 3G (taking only the tracks I actually like in my collection) would be a decent compromise. But SQ is the dealbreaker for me...

That's good advice, I'll probably track down a 2nd-hand 3G and sell it on if I don't like it (they're too expensive for me new).

i just bought a 64 gb 3rd gen itouch and sold my 32 gb 2nd generation,
but first i a-b compared the two.

they were exactly the same,, 3rd gen was slightly faster but not always and i actulaly at first thought that the 2nd generation screen appeared brighter, but they were very close, i wouldnt upgrade from a 32 2nd gen to a 32 gb 3rd gen, the only diff is that the 3rd gen has voive control command,, i have not tested htis ouu yet however.

i may end up gettin a cowon s9 for the sweet eq options,, apple eq presets really suck

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imported_gl, all of the FOTM around the Touch centres on the 32GB/64GB models released in Sept, 2009 - these are the ONLY '3G Touch' models. I have heard the 32GB and the 8GB in store, and the former definitely has more clarity and nicer SQ, even with the supplied files. My *guess* is that they are iTunes downloads, and that is 256K AAC : Apple would claim that this is as good as 320K MP3, but it definitely isnt lossless.

In any case, it wasn't my music and that is never a good audition - best bet is to buy one from someone who will give you a refund in saleable condition if you return it within a certain timeframe. If you are happy with your iRiver, I wouldnt even go to that much trouble - I bought the Classic because no other DAP gives me so much storage at that price point and no other DAP will plug straight into so many docks etc from the line-out.

Knowing what I know now, I may have just settled on using my netbook in my bedroom rig - I had no idea how much bitterness existed *within* the ranks of iPod owners. Its far worse than any criticisms heaped on these players from the owners of other DAPs.

mac pro + carat sounds boss,,, i want to rreplace my aduio technica ha25 witht he carat, only wish she had an analog input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back