still undecided after lurking/searching
Jul 16, 2007 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

answering_bell

New Head-Fier
howdy all,

i've been attempting to do my ears a favor and finally get a good pair of headphones to replace the usual stock crap phones i'm used to. i'm not an audiophile, but definitely know my way around music in general (listening and playing).

unfortunately, i'm a poor college student and need to be very picky about how i spend my money. so i do tons of research before buying anything. this place looked to be the greatest source of information, so i ran tons of searches over the past week or two to try and figure out what was going to give me the most overall bang for my hundred (give/take 20 or so) bucks.

i didn't really want to make another reccomendation thread because so many others exist (and that's where i've been looking), but since there's so much relativity involved in music tastes, needs for certain sounds, etc. i felt like this is my best bet. hopefully it's not irritating by now. if so, my apologies.

so, yeah, music style. visit http://www.last.fm/user/answering_bell/ scroll down to "top artists overall". alternative rock, alternative country, singer-songwriter/folk make up a big part of the list.

this drives my need for a flexible/versatile, and full sound. i'm not looking for loosen-my-bowels bass, or make-my-teeth-sensitive treble, but a good presence of both. i don't listen to classical, or really anything without vocals, so mids are a plus too. it's just gotta be full and clear regardless of genre, i guess.

so now onto the models i've researched in the range.

senn hd-555
-i wish i had the money for 595s or 600s, but this is as close as i'll get. seems to be a good all-arounder, but some complaints of muddiness and blandness have me apprehensive. deemed not as strong for rock. can i still listen to taking back sunday, nirvana, and jimmy eat world with them?

grado sr-60/80
-rock 'n roll. downsides seem to be comfort and treble harshness. i'm also secretly hoping for circumaural (or at least a larger supra-aural), because my ears are large and stick out from my (also large) head. can i still listen to bright eyes, wilco, and radiohead with them?

alessandro ms-1
-seems really popular right now. more "friendly" alternative to sr60/80. still aggressive, while supposedly not as harsh. but still has that grado shape that doesn't seem comforting to have on my head for an extended period of time. (again, can i listen to my more folky/downtempo/slow stuff with them?)

equation rp-21
-gets reccomended often, seems to be a good value, but haven't seen many comparative reviews..just that it stands on its own well. do they compare unfavorably with open counterparts in terms of sound? isolation wouldn't be a bad thing, but sound quality definitely comes first.

beyer 770
-some use this in comparison to the others, but i can't find it in my price range..maybe i'm missing something.

audiotechnica a700
-i usually see these reccomended for gaming purposes moreso than music. same closed-back concerns as with the rp-21.

there's probably a few things i'm missing, but those were at least the models that kept popping up for me the most. keep in mind that i really don't want to stray too far above $100.

ok, thanks for reading all of that. let me know if there's something you think will suit me well, and accompany my music better than drinking (just kidding).

thanks.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 18
The SR-80s really aren't harsh. They play an octave lower than the MS-1s, so for me, they are less fatiguing. Their energy revolves around the mids area. They sound a bit fuller and more aggressive plus you don't have to go out and buy a new set of pads (people usually ditch the stock comfies and spend another $10 on 414 pads). They already include the same pads (bowls) that come with all higher-end models. If you're poor, they can be had for about $25 less than the MS-1 if you know where to look.

The DT-770 -- you have to be a certified basshead to like these cans. I enjoy them in small doses but with trance, they just bounce my head around too much.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 18
Wait for Skylabs big headphone comparison review including many of the top headphones you are considering.

In Skylab we trust.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 18
RP-21's are probably more enjoyable than most of the headphones I've listened to. I actually prefer their sound over my DT 990's (which are in a whole different price range). They're just really smooth, have good detail, and they're just really well-rounded in general. The 770's (pro 80) are really really fun to listen to with its crazy bass. I think the RP-21 is a much more rounded headphone though. I'm not a fan of grado, many people complain of harsh metallic sound/harsh highs. but they're detailed. Also grado are not particularly known for strong bass which I prefer to have. Can't personally comment on the a700 but they're nice from most of what I hear.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 18
comfort: as noted in your comments, you might want to stay away from the Grado/Alessandro headphones, as supra-aural headphones are usually less comfortable for people with large ears

sound: judging by your music tastes, i'd highly consider the rp-21. the 770 is quite bass-heavy, the a700 doesn't compare to the others in overall sound quality, which leaves the sennheisers, which I have had no experience with. However, unless you find 595s for significantly cheaper than retail, the RP-21 might be the best suited to your usage. if you aren't concerned too much about the comfort of headphones that go on your ear, the alessandro ms-1 is a safe choice as well

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 18
If you're worried about Grado/Alessandro comfort, you could always get a pair of Senn 414 pads, which are really comfortable. I have reversed 414 pads on my MS-1s and can wear them for hours on end.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 18
I have reversed 414 pads on my MS-1 as well, and they are surprisingly comfortable! I have the stock bowls on my MS2i and after a few months they settle-in and form to your ears and get even more comfortable still.

Your own notes on MS-1 are quite accurate! Other than eventual comfort, but yes the slow stuff sounds great on the MS-1, as they are designed to be more neutral and analytical than their more exciting Grado counterparts. Consequently they are slightly better able to venture even into light classical.

....yeah; I even listen to Country and Western on mine and they sound great!

Hey! Stop laughing; guys!!
mad.gif
Country and Western is some of the best recorded stuff around! Ignore the lyrics if you must, but the instruments alone are worth the price of admission!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway; yeah, MS-1 does great on this stuff, but has a couple of other good features as well: The choice of 1/4 or 1/8" plug is helpfull. $99 with free shipping all over the planet can be handy, and the comfy pads are nice to start out with, but can be easily swapped with a whole bunch of different pad options later on to fine tune the comfort/performance ratio.

Yup; these phones may be worth a little more study!

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They play an octave lower than the MS-1s, so for me, they are less fatiguing.

Uh.... wha?
blink.gif
blink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're a little darker. The highs aren't as fatiguing.

Right, so where does the "octave lower" come in?

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 18
I don't think you'll get as many recommendations for the RP-21 simply because they're kind of new and not as many people have heard for themselves. However, I'm pretty confident that EVERYONE who has heard the RP-21 will recommend those.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 18
Welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet.
Great job on the research and it seems that you’ve pretty much narrowed it down to some of the best at this price range
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to many of the songs in your playlist so hopefully I can help from my experience.

Out of that list I’d strongly recommend the MS1, followed by the RP21.

The MS1 is a very proficient in most rock and alternative songs. I don’t think you will have any problem listening to more of the less rock or more folk stuffs in your playlist. Its only apparent weakness is only the zero amount of soundstage but I think its overall sound quality completely makes up for it. The SR80 rocks harder than the MS1, but I found the combo of its highs and bass a little fatiguing for long use. The earpads gets uncomfortable after a while but you may be able to get used to it.

The RP21 has better bass, but not as good highs and mids. The overall sound I think is quite comparable to the MS1. However, it is of closed design, and from my experience, I’ve always heard more natural sound quality coming out of an open design than a comparably priced closed one.

The HD555 is boring and DT770 might be too bassy for some stuffs in your playlist. The A700 is good, but there are better mids in this price range.

Lastly, don’t forget to take a look at the Goldring DR150, I always think it is a good alternative to MS1 when you want better bass, soundstage and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back