Still Trying to Enjoy Vinyl
Feb 8, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 21
If your cartridge alignment is off, you will get more surface noise.

Also, my Grado Silver was dull and picked up a lot of surface noise until it broke in. I assume, however, that your Gold is broken in, since you've had it a while, right?

Jeffery

Feb 8, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
Hi Lini, the IC's that I am using is the same one that came with the table. The IC runs beneath the table into a small circular plate beneath the table. I am assuming that this can be removed to detach the IC. I haven't tried it but I would imagine SOTA wouldn't build this thing with a permanent IC. The effect to the music is dramatic and is not of the last 10% which I would think an interconnect would be limited to. In other words, could the interconnect have this much of an effect on the sound?

Is that an extra circular plate where the ic goes to/comes from - or is it the tonearm base (...on many tables there's a DINesque connector there for the phono ic)? Anyway, phono connections are much more mismatch critical than line-level connections - so cables that work nicely for some mm pickup might do a lousy job for some other mc cartridge.

There's no guarantee that a different cable would help, though, 'cause any of Jeffery's points could be the culprit as well. So as long as no other member with a very similar combo can chime in, it might be best to talk about your problem with your dealer. Borrowing a different phono stage could be a good idea...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 8, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 21
Is there any good hifi shop that deals with vinyl in your area? You may just want to bite the bullet and get someone who really knows what they are doing to set things up. The higher end tables like SOTA, Linn, Rega, etc etc are all very sensitive to setup. You need everything to be perfectly level, and then you need the cartridge properly set up, correct VTA, tracking force etc etc. Unless you get a kick out of that sort of thing, you might just want to spend the 50 bucks or however much and get someone to do it for you, and do it correctly. The advantage for me of buying from a local dealer was that he set the confounded thing up for me. It has sounded fantastic ever since.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend going out and picking up a high quality record. Get something from Classic Records or something like the Dark Side of the Moon hi rez spiffy remastered 40 pound super virgin vinyl sacrifice edition. If it sounds bad, then the problem is your table setup. Do you know who played the records before you? Chances are that they played them with a turntable that had a stylus like a back-hoe, and it could be that there just isn't any information for the SOTA to read.

Feb 8, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #19 of 21
Stuartr, unfortunately the last true high end shop closed a few years ago so, ASFAIK, there isn't anyone in the area who can do the work for me. I don't mind doing it myself, I actually enjoy that kind of thing. My problem is I don't the proper equipment to set it up.
Jeffrey, my needle hasn't seen much play time so I doubt it's fully burned in. Since the sound is mediocre at best, I haven't really spent much time with it.

Lini, the round plate covers where the cable goes into the bottom of the table. I am sure it's just some sort of plate to cover the cable entrance.

So my next step, order some new (recommended) vinyl to rule out the "old vinyl" theory, and properly set up the table. What should I buy to get this thing set up correctly. What's the "must have" equipment to have at my disposal?

Thanks for all the replies!

Feb 8, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
What's the "must have" equipment to have at my disposal?

Shure Stylus Force Gauge (SFG-20 ?), a must have. Test record, HFN or others - nice to have (or use old laserdisc to set anti skating). Also waterpass leveller will be useful.

Feb 9, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #21 of 21
I do not think I saw this mentioned- make sure your turntable is level.
Unless you have an uber expensive cd source, even a modest vinyl rig properly set up should show its strengths readily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back