Still on the lookout. <$350 set of 'phones
Sep 3, 2006 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

khbaur330162

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Well I'm still looking for some good ELO headphones. I'm not interested in rock and roll oriented cans, so please no Grado suggestions. (Sound isolation is also a HUGE plus, but can be sacrificed) I'm currently looking into the Go-Vibe V5 or Supermini IV as my main/only amp. (portable and home use) I guess you could recommend amps that render good synergy with some of the listed headphones as long as it is within the <$200 range...

I'd like to have some good punch in the low end frequency range. Clarity concerning electric guitar, electric piano, violin/cello would be nice to have as well because ELO uses these instruments heavily in many of their songs. I love music with killer vocals as well. I basically need an all-around headphone that can do it all -well- for a good price. (go figure)

I can find all the listed headphones in or CLOSE TO my price roof. Which ever I end up purchasing, they'll be my first higher end set of 'phones. (upgrading from MDR-V700 Dj's
frown.gif
)

So far I'm looking into the:

ATH-W1000's (thin? will they sound good if i dint know any better?)

Beyerdynamic DT880/80's (semi open? sound isolation? hi-fi sound at all?)

AKG K701's (500 hours burn in?! ginormous?! analytical sound? needs good amp?)

Sennheiser HD650's (0% sound isolation? "veil"? needs good amp?)

Used Sony MDR-CD3000's (revealing of flaws? expensive for its benefits. worth the added cost?)

(Other suggestions are welcome)

Which do you think would be best suited for my listening tastes? Thanks ahead of time for any and all suggestions.

Sep 3, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 21
Unless used, I can't find these for cheaper than $530. If I were to spend anything close to this amount (w/o my parents knowing) they'd HAVE to be a closed design because blocking out sound is a high priority... Thanks for the input though.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
Well I'm still looking for some good ELO headphones. I'm not interested in rock and roll oriented cans, so please no Grado suggestions. (Sound isolation is also a HUGE plus, but can be sacrificed) I'm currently looking into the Go-Vibe V5 or Supermini IV as my main/only amp. (portable and home use) I guess you could recommend amps that render good synergy with some of the listed headphones as long as it is within the <$200 range...

I'd like to have some good punch in the low end frequency range. Clarity concerning electric guitar, electric piano, violin/cello would be nice to have as well because ELO uses these instruments heavily in many of their songs. I love music with killer vocals as well. I basically need an all-around headphone that can do it all -well- for a good price. (go figure)

I can find all the listed headphones in or CLOSE TO my price roof. Which ever I end up purchasing, they'll be my first higher end set of 'phones. (upgrading from MDR-V700 Dj's
frown.gif
)

So far I'm looking into the:

ATH-W1000's (thin? will they sound good if i dint know any better?)

Beyerdynamic DT880/80's (semi open? sound isolation? hi-fi sound at all?)

AKG K701's (500 hours burn in?! ginormous?! analytical sound? needs good amp?)

Sennheiser HD650's (0% sound isolation? "veil"? needs good amp?)

Used Sony MDR-CD3000's (revealing of flaws? expensive for its benefits. worth the added cost?)

(Other suggestions are welcome)

Which do you think would be best suited for my listening tastes? Thanks ahead of time for any and all suggestions.

The DT880s probably won't hit hard enough for your tastes, but the A900 LTDs would certainly be a contender at $300 USD + shipping/tax/etc. I use the A900 LTDs as my work headphones without an amp (don't have the luxury of affording a portable amp / don't want the hassle of battery changes) and they are divine for that purpose.

Sep 3, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 21
the DT880 is only about $200 on ebay. quite a bargain for a headphone with a full sound!!

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 21
You definitely want to throw the DT990s in there. One of the best in the ~$300 range.

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for the ideas guys. Really appreciated.

The A900 LTD's were in the list a little while ago, however after some research and not being able to find a seller, I kicked them out. If anyone could provide a link that'd be great. I've heard Audiocubes sells them, but I checked their site. Perhaps they are sold out?

The DT990's are open air. Do you really think these provide that much added performance that I should disregard any and all sound isolation I could have with another model? (i.e. DT770's/DT880's/A900 (LTD)/W1000's) Same question goes for the K701's and HD650's actually... I'd really like to be able to listen to my music in college and not be disturb(ing/ed).

Any comments on the W1000's? If they sounded anywhere close to as good as they look I think I'd be in heaven; simply stunning.

CD3k's? They seemed to definitely have their time... Some people think their price is justified while others strongly disagree. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Sep 5, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 21
I sort of want more feedback. Would it be wrong to bump this thread?
blink.gif
(Well I guess it's too late if I wasn't sposed to bump it. Please forgive me for my wrong doings...)

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 21
Here's some hearsay for you, but you should research it yourself in more detail:

I've HEARD that many people don't like the W1000s. From everything I've read, their reputation isn't very good. They're also quite expensive, unless you buy used, so you may want to look elsewhere. CD3Ks are price jacked, at this point in time, I personally think they'd be even harder to find than A900 LTDs, so you may also want to restrict your choices a little more (but seize an opportunity if it does indeed come by).

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 21
I find the DT880 (pre-2006) to be too bright.

I think the K701 will work for you as an excellent all-purpose open can. I only sold mine because I didn't like how they fit my noggin.

I don't understand the recent negativity towards the W1000. They were my first foray into Audio-Technica sound and I'm very pleased with the sound. Like any headphone, there are always those who like a particular headphone's sound and those who don't. That's nothing particularly noteworthy. If you're interested in the fascination of AT woody headphone sound and why some people (myself included) have a strong preference for AT sound, then W1000 are a good and affordable place to start.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 21
Thanks. I had previously seen some bad opinions concerning the W1000's. It seemed to have some followers, and like every headphone, some who didn't care at all for them. However, after further research, I think it's safe to say that there's too many critics saying bad stuff that it isn't coincidence. I believe I'll move on because the W5K's are way out of my price range.

I was in contact with a person who lived in Germany who had a pair of C3000's and was willing to sell. I believe he was OK to part with them for a tad more than my price roof. I'd be willing to spend a little more on the CD3K's (they looked pristine; almost brand new from the pictures) if it was really worth it. It'd also be nice to stay true to my Sony heritage... I like their stuff, and as much as people bash the V700Dj's, they sound pretty good to me. (The best I've ever owned/even listened to for sure) Other opinions on these if I could get them for around $350 shipped?

I'd put a "WTB" ad up for the A900 LTD's, but nothing is final. I'm not set on these in any shape or form. Could I put a sort of IC up, but for a buyers purpose and not a sellers? I've never seen or heard of this being done. I'd like to see if there would be any offers, at what price, and of what condition the 'phones would be in...

I think I'd just bite the bullet and go for the K701's if they weren't so gosh darn hard to drive. Idk how well a Go-Vibe V5 would fare with them. If I repeated the phrase, "SQ is more important than sound isolation," over and over, perhaps I could convince myself...

Btw, thanks ton Cyrilix. It's been insightful, and I'm really glad about your comment concerning the DT880's. I was so close to buying these because of what everyone said and their price.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 21
I've just bought a 2006 model 880 and found it quite well isolated at moderate volume - couldn't hear normal conversations around me clearly.

I paired with a SET headamp, sound is smooth, quite spacious and quite well balanced. Bass is does not have much slam but I wouldn't call it shy either. Treble is not as bright as widely reported.

However, my impressions maybe due to effects from the SET headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back