Still looking for the right cans... what I've tried thus far.
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
First, thanks to all who have assisted in my decisions to date. I have listened to advice and heeded or ignored or modified... and well, here is where I stand.

I now own the DT880 (250ohm), DT770 (250ohm) and the M50. I had the Beyer DT48 in my hands for long enough to realize they were not to my liking.

I'm keeping the M50 because they are fun and suite my needs perfectly for a closed, portable kickin' set of cans.
L3000.gif

I'm returning the DT770's because they have no bass and shrill/harsh PAINFUL highs. I am told the 600ohm would make a difference, but I'm just not thinking the difference would be enough to matter... it would have to be night and day. These cans are un-listenable.
eek.gif

The DT880 (250ohm) are great cans. They are burning-in well and have become slightly less sibilant and bright (that's a good thing).
beyersmile.png

That said, as much as I find the DT880's very natural and clean, and overall truly like their sound signature, they are still too a bit un-realistically bright (at about 8khz) and lack a solid bottom-end.

Again, I am told that I would get an improvement in these two things (less highs, slightly more bass) if I were to move to the 600ohm. (Sorry, still somewhat skeptical… though I may try at a later date.)

So I thought I’d move in a slightly different direction. I keep coming back to the Senn HD600as a possibility. Great reviews! I want a 'natural' clean, open sound like the DT880, but with slightly more bass and slightly reduced highs.
While comfort of teh HD600 may (or may not) be up to Beyer DT880 level, the sound signature of these may be more along the lines I’m looking for.

Thoughts?

Listening to: Classical, Jazz, Acoustic, Rock. In that order.
Powered by: DAC1-Pre or Outlaw RR2150 rcvr.
File types: Lossless or uncompressed audio up to 24bit/96k.

shane

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find DT880 rather bass light, K240DF will be bass-none.
Sennheiser might be exactly what you're looking for, but have a look at Denon as well.

Thanks... I thought about the D2000. I read some things (legitimate or not) that turned me off to it. But hey... this is all fluid, and what I don't consider today may be my #1 pick tomorrow.
atsmile.gif

shane

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 47
I don't find the bass on the DF lacking, a bit more extension would be nice and that's all. To address this problem I bought a JVC HA DX3, sounds more 'fun' with more extended bass and the sound of the JVC is very AKG-like.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 47
I would say that you are right on the money. I have and like the Beyer 880 but for the same reasons that you have stated often pick up the HD-600 or the HD-650 instead they off set each other very well. I think you would like either sennheiser headphone.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 47
I think a Sennheiser HD600or even HD650 would be more to your liking. The Denons are said to be fairly poor with Classical, which seems to be the main genre you listen to. What equipment will you be using it with? Perhaps amplification will help remove the flaws in the DT880.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 47
Agreed with the Senn folks. I'm partial to the 600 (don't care much for the 650), but it really depends on how far you want to go to get rid of the brightness you don't like. I think the 600 is probably a baby step, with the 650 being a bigger one. If I were you, I might look to pick both up off the FS forums to compare side-by-side and then sell one.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 47
I don't get it - the 770 is renowned as one of the doofiest quality phones around. How come you get no bass?

Have you tried a dedicated headphone amp? Decent phones, particularly high impedance ones need quality through the chain, otherwise they won't open up. Even so, if you really find the bass that poor, that won't help.

Then again, I can't see how you have no issue with the 880 in this regard, they are very neutral to my ears and the bass is there, but not really in the 770 league.

No matter what all the audio nerds here say, I don't believe there is that much, if any difference between Beyers 250/600 ohm phones - only a bigger prerequisite for power.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 47
OP I figure from your coment on sound sig of DT770/250 that you don't use any amplification... correct me if i'm wrong. Them being bassless is just ridicilous, They don't have much quality there but you'd be hard pressed to miss those thumps even with your ears plugged. Or maybe you had a defective pair.

About the DF bass, I have a a pair of Sexttet with DF drivers in it, from the brief session i had (got 'em just yesterday) there is *plenty* of bass, of the clean, hard hitting type. Really one of the best i heared in an open-type, Or semi-open in this case. Sadly it's just a pain in the buttocks to drive it...

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 47
DT770 and bassless? WOAH.

I wouldn't consider the DT880 lacking in the low end either. They might need to be more emphasized in the low end, but they aren't lacking. Like changing a preset in whatever player you are using. They have a nice bottom end (lol).

I find the DT880's nice and WARM. Oh well, they ARE the 32 ohm version.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #15 of 47
remember, this is not the DT770/80 bass monsters that we're talking about,he has the DT770(250) Premium Consumer edition.

maybe he just wants a more engaging/relaxing phone with the right amount of bass for classical.

I'd probably go for the HD600 or the DT990's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back