Still looking for the ideal laptop solution
Nov 8, 2004 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dvr

100+ Head-Fier
For about a year I've been looking for the ideal laptop solution, something that's: driven by USB, with good driver support, with a good amp and DAC, and doesn't take up too much space. My budget is around $1000.

My first attempt was a Sonica connected to an amp, but the sound quality wasn't great and the Sonica drivers made my machine unstable. I always have problems with m-audio drivers. When using either the Sonica or the Audiophile, my machine becomes less stable, sometimes losing sound altogether or freezing. I can avoid this by not unplugging anything, but this is a deal-breaker because this is a laptop that I periodically unplug to take to meetings.

I tried replacing the amp with a Sostenuto-1, and while the DAC was pretty good, I thought the headphone amp section wasn't up to the job. So I was stuck with three boxes on my desk and the lousy m-audio drivers. So I sold them all.

Next I tried the Bithead, which was pretty good, but I wanted better.

Next I tried the Indigo with a SR-71, but I found that the Indigo doesn't improve much with an amp. So I sold the SR-71.

I picked up a Benchmark DAC1, thinking I could cope with the m-audio drivers or get a USB port added, but I discovered the DAC1 amp is painfully bright.

So I'm stuck using the Echo Indigo for now and occasionally checking the forums for new products.

I'm sure I'm not the only looking for a product like this. Has anyone found a solution that fits the bill?

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Apogee Mini-DAC (USB-capable version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back