Still like your Denon AH-D2000 headphones?
Nov 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 42
I would guess amping too. (I'm also just about to buy a pair)

I'm looking at recabling them myself though, as this can work out significantly cheaper (depending on what cable you get) than sending them away to be recabled. You must be adept at soldering though, and not be afraid of taking your new $$$ headphones apart.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynbluejeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny that when I was researching those Bose QC2s, I was swayed largely to give them a try because one or two websites, as I recall, had a gazillion people saying that they'd bought 'em and that they really loved 'em, gave 'em four and five stars.

But now I sorta wonder if those clever foxes at Bose didn't have their employees register at those websites and skew the truth by submitting glowing comments to fool folks. Oh well, no matter, live and learn!

I doubt it. Most are probably coming from $20 buds or really terrible headphones and just aren't aware of what's out there in that price range. So they really are very happy with what they have. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

The Bose are very comfortable and offer pretty good noise cancellation. They are just cheaply made and don't have the same SQ as other cans in their price range.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 42
I wonder if with these D2000s on the way if listening to music off YouTude will be much of a great joy? Or does that type of output lean towards the low side in the quality department even with great cans?

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

I wonder if with these D2000s on the way if listening to music off YouTude will be much of a great joy? Or does that type of output lean towards the low side in the quality department even with great cans?

Generally pretty crappy all around.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the d2000's still offer a good amount of bass compared to most cans such as the HD600/650?

As an previous owner of the 600, 650 and D2000 at the same time, I can give a resounding yes. The D2000 has more bass then either of those cans but not all cans
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #22 of 42
Did anyone here try markl's mod on D2k's?
I'm going to recable mine (DIY) plus I have some idea about replacing plastic cups with something else (have a guess what with
wink.gif

Great cans as they are though, loving mine for metal/prog metal, for very bass heavy music they'll do better than my Darths.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #23 of 42
Unfortunately I think $150 is sort of hard to get much with. I'd save a little more and get a Meier Headsix, which is similar to the excellent Meier Move but without the DAC. Best of luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if they sound so much better with an amp , which would you recommend? , keep in mind the only source will be a mp3 player , and also , my budget for an amp would be $150 or less since id already be shelling out almost $300 for the headphones

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone here try markl's mod on D2k's?
I'm going to recable mine (DIY) plus I have some idea about replacing plastic cups with something else (have a guess what with
wink.gif

Great cans as they are though, loving mine for metal/prog metal, for very bass heavy music they'll do better than my Darths.

I did the mod to the cushions only and I think its an improvement. You should try it. It took a whole five minutes and its completely reversible. I used a solid piece of microfiber towel on mine and so it was pretty quick (i didnt have cotton and was ready to try something), and it should be pretty quick to remove if I decide.
Soundstage was increased. They also sound more enjoyable because it doesnt feel like there are mini "speakers attached to the side of my head", and because of that - listening is less tiring.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #27 of 42
Well, honestly, my balanced D2000s aren't getting the love they used to receive. Since buying the Edition 9s I plan on only keeping one close set of cans so I am expecting to sell the Denons...

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, honestly, my balanced D2000s aren't getting the love they used to receive. Since buying the Edition 9s I plan on only keeping one close set of cans so I am expecting to sell the Denons...

I've heard a lot of praise for those Edition 9s lately and have gotten curious about them. Would you kindly share your thoughts on their differences and similarities to the D2000/5000s?

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally pretty crappy all around.

Quote:

Yeah; I sorta thought so.

I have the D2000s and they are still the headphones I reach for when using Youtube or internet radio, like last nights Celtics game, pluged into my computer headphone jack.

How good or crappy they would sound to you or anyone, would be relative to each of our referance... For instance I wouldn't plug any of my other cans into my computer whereas for that purpose stated above the D2000s are my can of choice. Sure with a better source and better amplification they audibly scale up very well, but they also scale down very well without the requisites each of my other phones demand! Important difference in terms of utility, IMO!

Of course, they also are a very fine and uniquely presented instrument musically, from each of my other phones and likewise a beautiful experience pluged into my Opera.

BTW, a used HeadFive should be on your shopping list as well as a ton of music before ever entertaining getting these cans recabled, IMO!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if they sound so much better with an amp , which would you recommend? , keep in mind the only source will be a mp3 player , and also , my budget for an amp would be $150 or less since id already be shelling out almost $300 for the headphones

Look for a HeadFive on the used subforum @ $185, IMO!

Good luck guys, enjoy your great new toys
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the D2000s and they are still the headphones I reach for when using Youtube or internet radio, like last nights Celtics game, pluged into my computer headphone jack.

How good or crappy they would sound to you or anyone, would be relative to each of our referance... For instance I wouldn't plug any of my other cans into my computer whereas for that purpose stated above the D2000s are my can of choice. Sure with a better source and better amplification they audibly scale up very well, but they also scale down very well without the requisites each of my other phones demand! Important difference in terms of utility, IMO!

Of course, they also are a very fine and uniquely presented instrument musically, from each of my other phones and likewise a beautiful experience pluged into my Opera.

Probably should have qualified my "crappy" comment in that I was referring generally to the sound quality of the audio from youtube , and not the Denons as a choice for listening to it. I don't think it really matters which headphone you use, most of the stuff on youtube will still sound crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back