Still like your Denon AH-D2000 headphones?
Nov 6, 2007 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

guynbluejeans

New Head-Fier
Hi All!!

I was reading a long, long thread over on page 2 about said headphones and noticed that it got to where people were saying that they were removing the cushions to get better sound. And then as time went on the whole conversation about them seemed to peter out. And so because I am considering getting a set, I was curious if you folks that took the plung still like them?

Also, does one pretty much have to pick-up an amp in order to make them work well for portable sound system?

I thank you profusely for you most treasured comments and/or suggestions!
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 42
Love mine so much that I just put up my Sennheiser HD600 for sale today. Mine are recabled though, but I still think a lot of people are quite happy with the sound of the stock D2K.

Do you have a link to where you read about people taking out the cushions? Never saw that and it sounds a little strange to me. I'd like to read it.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 42
Thanks for responding.

I read it over on the next page on a thread started by Andrew_WOT. I was reading through a lot of the posts there last night and then started jumping around reading them out of order. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 42
My first post.

I have had my D2000's for a few weeks now and love them.
They are my first head-fi headphones. Well, I have some px100's, but they really sound poor in comparison now.
I got my denon's a few weeks after using this site for research on which headphones were right for me.
I remember reading that thread the OP was referring to. I also think in that same thread that they talked about replacing the stock earpads with beyerdynamic dt880 pads which also uses 80mm pads (I think that was the circumference stated). Anyways, I would be very interested in replacing the stock pads because my only complaint would be that the (pleather?) pads cause me to sweat a little after long use and since I am using them so much lately - I am starting to break out around my ears.
I will try removing the pads tonight and decide if I sense an increase in SQ.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 42
Thanks sir!

I hope that I'll be happy with mine when I get them. I suppose I'll have to one day see about shelling out for a reworked cable (as people say that's a good idea, even at $200 a pop, ouch!) and, too, I'll have to look into a good amp to complete the package.

I'm glad to hear that so many people really like these things!

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 42
I just got finished comparing my headphones with earpads on vs. off. I tried different types of music and different levels of sound. I do not have an amp and run them out of my macbook headphone out. I think they sound slightly different, but wouldnt that be because after removing the circumaural earpads, the d2000s are no longer closed but are now open headphones, and so some of the common SQ differences between open and closed headphones would now apply? Like less bass presence being an example? Without too much testing between the two, I dont think I would want to give up any more on the bass on these headphones because I feel they are just right for my tastes. Besides, wouldnt it be uncomfortable trying to listen to these on the move (this is your portable setup) without the cushions?
There is a layer on the cushions that is in between the headphone and your ear. But its super thin, you can see through it! I think the box said it was made of microfiber? I took a pic, but it is too large to upload and dont know how to display otherwise.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 42
Ouut of all my cans, if I could only keep *one*, it would have to be the D2000.
The most versatile cans of them all.
Sounds good with ANY music type.
My Darths are special, my RS-1's are special, and others, but the Denon is special in its own way.
If the music is too shrill for my RS-1, or excessive bass is too much for my Darths -- pick up the D2000 and enjoy the music! No matter what. Or the HD580 (second choice for ltackling excessive-type music sometimes encountered.)
No limitations lin D2000, ike my more specialized cans.
What more can you ask for in a can?

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 42
I just got mine back from RAL and I missed them badly. Enjoying them right now actually
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 42
Have had mine about a month and am absolutely smitten with them. Stock D2K, but going to recable soon. (Apuresound)

Get an amp!!!! They sound much MUCH better properly amped. That can't be stressed enough; it's really a night-and-day difference.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 42
d2000 are excellent headphones. they are like a slightly more refined dt770 without the extra bass and imaging. i would recommend them over d5000 just because of price, but elsewise they are indeed wonderful closed headphones (and seem to be made with higher standards than d5000 which seemed very fragile in my hands).

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the d2000's still offer a good amount of bass compared to most cans such as the HD600/650?

I've heard HD650s and own D2000s, and I think the D2000s have better bass. The extension goes further and the impact is bigger. Not to say the HD650 is bad or anything, as I really enjoyed its bass; just that the D2000s are better at it.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcs414 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have had mine about a month and am absolutely smitten with them. Stock D2K, but going to recable soon. (Apuresound)

Get an amp!!!! They sound much MUCH better properly amped. That can't be stressed enough; it's really a night-and-day difference.

if they sound so much better with an amp , which would you recommend? , keep in mind the only source will be a mp3 player , and also , my budget for an amp would be $150 or less since id already be shelling out almost $300 for the headphones

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 42
Thanks All for the GREAT replies!

I'm looking forward to getting these cans, hopefully by Saturday.

I will break them in with a good amount of pink noise and that'll be it until I figure out which amp to get.

It's funny that when I was researching those Bose QC2s, I was swayed largely to give them a try because one or two websites, as I recall, had a gazillion people saying that they'd bought 'em and that they really loved 'em, gave 'em four and five stars.

But now I sorta wonder if those clever foxes at Bose didn't have their employees register at those websites and skew the truth by submitting glowing comments to fool folks. Oh well, no matter, live and learn!

By the way, does anyone know which thing to do, recable or amp 'em, will make the biggest difference in terms of improving the sound? (I would guess amping, but then what do I know.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back