Still like your Denon AH-D2000 headphones?
Nov 8, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #31 of 42
Mine just arrived from japan and while I don't have much experience with high end cans (aside from e3c's if you consider them high end) I find them to sound amazing. They sound the best from my onkyo receiver and very good from the i-pod and macbook pro. They sound surprisingly good from the I-pod and play at very adequate levels.
I was wondering if any of you could share your experience with these can's running off a portable amp? I'm on the pre-order list for a Pico and I'm trying to imagine how much better these cans can sound because even tho they sound amazing now I don't really have a benchmark to compare them to, and so far the only thing bothering me about the I-pod is a bit of hiss in the background.

My music is in lossless or 320 how much of a benefit from the Pico do you think I could expect?

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #33 of 42
I'd like to know how well the D2000s seal. I'd also love to know if anyone has compared them to the HFI 700s. Those are the 2 closed cans I am considering and just can't make up my mind!
smily_headphones1.gif

RIDE

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My music is in lossless or 320 how much of a benefit from the Pico do you think I could expect?

Good amplification with these phones provides a fantastic listening experience. These phones are very power hungry. Just because they will function without a lot of power does not mean they are performing at their max without it. And of course, you want to give them clean power.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #35 of 42
i've modded mine with dynamat around the stock center damping material and removed the "cotton stripes" of the cups, removed center  disc on the driver, returned to stock pad after recabled with fostex th900 cable. i've an q701 with furukawa cable, but the denon is a little better

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnr8z38t0dxt6bp/20150308_110233.jpg?dl=0

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #36 of 42
Since someone resurrected this thread, yea, I still like mine.  Don't listen to them that much - maybe 25% of time.  Not as near refined as my HE500s but as has been said many many times on this site - very comfortable, fun to listen to with just occasional bass bloat.  Shame they & the 5000 are discontinued.  Well worth want I paid for them years ago.  

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #37 of 42
I enjoy this headphones very much. Interestingly they measure pretty flat from 20Hz up to 1kHz +/- 1dB. However there is a huge dip centered around 2.75kHz. Above 4K there is a lot of "spiking" but once averaged to 1/3 octave you get a pretty flat responding headphone. Flattest response headphones I've measured up to date.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #39 of 42
I just sold my AH-D2000 3 days ago for the equivalent of $180 to a friend/colleague, I was the 1st owner, bought them in 2010, they were in very good condition, including the original box. Never liked the upper midrange and treble. Bought a DT-990 600 ohm for the money. Way better sound...

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #41 of 42
Hmmmm I'm not too sure what you mean by grainy, but I've read article from innerfidelity saying the plastic cup does contribute to its "grainyness" as oppose to wood cups.

That being said, I do own a AH-D2000 and have bought the Lawton mod and applied it myself.

The Lawton mod do clean up the sound a bit but do warned that I still don't find it as an "overall" improvement.

Some things got better and some aren't, so you have to "mod the mod" until you get your perfect sound.

I end up cutting a hole in the middle of the earcup foam (like a donut shape) Lawton provided and that got me my idea sound.

Hope this helps.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #42 of 42
I was thinking about this and I really do agree that the AH-D2000s are really something special.
It's a real shame if you ask me that the typical user spends his time on head-fi seeking progressively more expensive analytical headphones.
What this headphone did so amazingly was present fun colored sound which was endlessly entertaining. 

These headphones, and the entire 2000/5000/8000 lineup are truly one of the great achievements in audio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back