Still hearing Windows Sound with WASAPI
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ThumperSD

100+ Head-Fier
While using wasapi with fb2k, I can still hear audio from videos on VLC media player. It does block audio from youtube however. Isnt wasapi supposed to bypass all windows sound?

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 22
Indeed foobar WASAPI supposes to block everything else, that is the case for me, but as I've never used VLC I don't know whether VLC has some tricks up its sleeves to overcome that. It's very unlikely IMO.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 22
Thanks for the replay Thuan. Youtube, SC2, Winamp, itunes, are all blocked during playing with Wasapi. VLC and Left for Dead 2 are the only programs that seem to bypass this. I thought Wasapi was supposed to block ALL sounds during playback. Because of this, I dont even know if I am using Wasapi correctly. It does seem to be working as there is a delay when I adjust the volume in FB2K which doesnt happen with direct sound.

Perhaps somebody here who uses VLC and Wasapi can provide some feedback.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 22
Just try to disable WASAPI exclusive mode (in your DAC playback properties -> advanced tab) and foobar will fail to play in WASAPI mode. IOW, foobar only works in exclusive mode, and according to MS that mode should block everything saves for the outputting audio stream. So it's either VLC has some tricks up its sleeve, Windows implementation broken, audio device driver problem or OP's config is misconfigured somewhere. Computer weirdness.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 22
That's weird.  So what are VLC's audio settings?

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 22
I started having problems with Wasapi today aswell. I don't hear windows sounds or while gaming, but when I'm on Youtube, I can hear the audio. I checked to make sure I was running exclusive mode too. It's not really a big deal, but its bothering me.

EDIT: Disabled SPDIF-out in my sound control panel. That did fix it for some reason - I have no idea why that was even on or had sound going through it...

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

I don't use VLC so I don't know

To all the others who have other audio playing besides WASAPI exclusive audio, there's something wrong somewhere in your config, or you're not running in exclusive mode at all. In any case, if you hear other sound then there's mixing going, IOW not bitperfect anymore.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Quote:

To all the others who have other audio playing besides WASAPI exclusive audio, there's something wrong somewhere in your config, or you're not running in exclusive mode at all. In any case, if you hear other sound then there's mixing going, IOW not bitperfect anymore.

I meant for ThumperSD to answer as it is his dilemma.  I never had such an issue with Foobar, uLilith, or WMP w/ Reclock.  Everything else gets blocked when one of those is in use, no exceptions.  FB2k only does exclusive mode indeed, not shared like iTunes.  Same goes for uLilith and Reclock.  I assume VLC is doing something or his soundcard's drivers/DSPs.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 22
What is the audio device being used?  Is it set up as the primary audio device (default audio device) in Windows or is it a secondary device?

It is possible that the audio device has its own drivers that don't follow all of the rules and are intentionally allowing mixing in what should be exclusive mode.  Not all audio drivers do things the right way, especially for consumer audio where "it just works" is more important that "it does the right things".

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Whether or not it is setup as the primary audio output device shouldn't matter, but that may depend, of course, on the drivers the device uses.  It didn't matter when I had a Creative Xtremegamer, but nowadays I have a CMI8768 with GPL drivers (which I don't even use).  "It does the right things."
LOL, one time, I was watching anime with Reclock outputting to my DAC (USB) and Youtube playing through my Creative soundcard into my ministereo at the same time.

Anyway, need OP's answer/observations.  Need to know more on his soundcard's/VLC settings.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
I started having problems with Wasapi today aswell. I don't hear windows sounds or while gaming, but when I'm on Youtube, I can hear the audio. I checked to make sure I was running exclusive mode too. It's not really a big deal, but its bothering me.

EDIT: Disabled SPDIF-out in my sound control panel. That did fix it for some reason - I have no idea why that was even on or had sound going through it...

Really strange because when I have my SPDIF enabled (and set as my default audio device), I no longer hear sounds from VLC.
confused.gif
Im not using SPDIF however for my speakers.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I meant for ThumperSD to answer as it is his dilemma.  I never had such an issue with Foobar, uLilith, or WMP w/ Reclock.  Everything else gets blocked when one of those is in use, no exceptions.  FB2k only does exclusive mode indeed, not shared like iTunes.  Same goes for uLilith and Reclock.  I assume VLC is doing something or his soundcard's drivers/DSPs.

I don't believe I have ever messed with VLC's audio feature but here is a shot of my audio settings on VLC
http://img703.imageshack.us/i/captureye.jpg

It also happens in the Left 4 Dead 2 menu screen when my cursor goes over the options. I do not hear sound during cinematics. I havent tried to play the game to see if I would hear sound while using wasapi.

Pretty strange and frustrating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back