Still confused on fidue a83 vs dunu dn-2000
Apr 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KevinHNgu

New Head-Fier
I would say I'm a very unexpirienced, but at at least know basics of audio. I think I'd probably prefer dn2k though.

So I think I've seen most of the threads on these two iems, but I can't specify myself on which would be my prefered sound. I liked dvjkool and brooko's reviews the most, and compared to other reviews/comparisons, these reviews are the only ones to say the a83's is fuller than the dn-2000. H20fidelity, who did a really nice review, also once said that the a83 bass was enough for electronic music and gave a great wow factor, though he hasn't listened to the dn-2000, it may be bad example. I enjoy to listen to really anything, but my preferred genre's are rock, metal (haven't been listening to it much lately) indie/alternative, electronic (mostly chill, trap, dubstep, glitch, and combinations of those), and ocasional hip hop/rap. I seem to go for fun dynamic music, normally dark(really I try to listen to anything), but when I hear details, a smile ALWAYS appears on my face. In bass, I like to have a some emphasis and texture is always appealing. The gr07 classic has great bass for me in its detail, presence, and punch, but its sub bass may make it seem a tad, tiny bit muddy or I'm just inexperienced. The silibace on the gr07 was wierd. It always teetering on toleratable and annoying. If the sibilance is worse than the gr07, I think that would be enough for me to chose the dn2k, but otherwise, I think I'd enjoy them both. I'm unsure treble-wise, but I possibly may be a slight treblehead, still i look for bass emphasis. I have the ath a900x(over ear, i know it's not fair) and I listen to that as much as I do to the gr07 which have completely different sounds. The ath being darker and having looser bass, but the gr07 just being seemingly better with accurate details.

Inaways, I'm looking for a great treble, but not too fatiguing (more than gr07 is too much). Lately, I've been getting into female vocals, btu I have very dynamic style prefering females or males almost randomly. I think the mids seem to be a match between them. I find myself always opting for high volume on an iphone 5s, mainly to get a batter bass effect (without an amp, never had one), and people say the dn2k is fatiguing that way than the a83. I think the a83 should have more shrill highs at high volume, but bass does tend to wear me down faster and I'm under the impression that dn2k performs not too well at high volumes which may make me opt for the a83. I'm not weak-headed, I just listen to almost max volumes all the time and a lot through the day. In bass, I'm looking to get emphasized slams in dub, when needed, and fantastic texture. Detail in music is always a plus. I'm probably a slight a bass heam, looking for that oomph and rumble!

References
---Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire, I prefer it to be non sibilant, and to have lush, smooth vocals. Dn2k?
---Band of Skulls (indie band), love this band A LOT, but not sure which iem I'd prefer
---Inhale Exhale - Better Her Than Me, vocals are what i focus on. A83?
---The Used - The Bird and The Worm, what will give me the better haunting feeling?
---Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, looking for presentaion?
(Random bands i listen to) - against me! - bullet for my valentine - edward and the magnetic zeros - kongos - muse - new politics - panic! At the disco(older albums w/ nicotine & miss jackson) - my chemical romance - of monsters and men - nirvana - the offspring

Electronic music
---oh wonder - lose it, anjelika - better than ever, nice vocals. Dn2k?
---ivan and torrent remix - blood and stone, slow to get into, but great momentum at the end. Im cuurious on how the a83 handles this
(Random songs) - pegboard nerds - hero, propper villians - heartbeat, areo chord - savor time, magic man - paris, h3ctic - unbreakable, taptone - time, major lazer - lean on, elk wood - lonely sound, noisestorm - bring the madness

Now, I'm thinking I like the a83 more, but more comparisons and tips would be helpful. I'd also prefer the a83 build and fit over the dn2k. Sorry for poor orginization and somewhat vague explanation. I was trying to explain everything in one post.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 14
Hi Kevin

Sorry - I no longer have the DN-2000 with me, and I don't like to answer specific questions based on memory.  I should be getting a new one sometime soon (along with the new DN-2000J) - Vivian tells me that the release shouldn't be be too far away though. At that stage I can give you a direct comparison.

About the only pointers I can give you - based purely on memory (and my old review notes):
  1. A83 has slightly more of a V shape - more low bass and upper mid-range/treble bump
  2. DN2000 were a little flatter compared to the A83, more weight in the lower mid-range (male vocals sounded better), but were smoother and had less air in the upper mid-range and treble.
  3. The DUNU are probably the more coherent overall - but the A83 still remain my personal preference of the two.  This may change when the 2000J is released.

Another for you to look at - if you can wait for a June delivery - is the Trinity Delta
http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-delta-dual-hybrid-iem/reviews/12845

You only have less than a week before the KS campaign ends though.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 14
O.O the 2000j?.... Oh well, I'm probably not going to get that b/c it's probably going to be at least $100 more than than the dn2k, sadly. Besides the short sennheiser double fange tips and tf10s, are there any other tips that are recommended for the Fidue a83?

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 14
Whoops, clicked submit before I was done. I'm looking for as much bass as possible that'll stay hidden till required to, so my preference would be close to the a83 and dn2k. Personally, I enjoy the harshness of the gr07 treble and vocals, as long as it doesn't become to much, sounds kinda hypocritical. I'm looking to get the coming Letv one pro or Superphone 1 Pro, but at high volumes do you remember which sound better and like what, if you have the time fot that 2nd question.

I'm looking for a pretty good upgrade over the gr07 classic and the trinity, while seemingly different, looks like a side grade. Thanks a lot though. :D

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 14
Then of the two, the A83 is what you are after.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 14
I am also looking for a iem around the same price range listening to almost same type of music

Electronic dubstep trap chillstep house pop drumstep kpop

Artist like pegaboard nerds tiesto elephante tmass tristam cash cash rameses B

I am looking for accurate clear clean crips vocal iem like the M6 pro will the a83 be for me?

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm not the expert here, but the only advantagin QUANTITY the dn2k seems to have is a small bit more quantity in sub-bass(rumble), though i think the advantage in timbre goes to dn2k. Mids are a preference, and I'm a bit confused on them compared. So the dn2k mids is tended to be called thinner and bit more back than the latter, but still SEEMS to be more forward b/c of some more lushness and a bit more detail? Again I'm not the expert, and I'm torn between these two's mids. I just prefer different mids almost randomly. I have the carbo tenores (bought them on a whim) and I dont like them so much, too dark and muddy. Less sibilance on the dn2k then the a83. The dn2k seems to be a bit funner though?(I've never listened to these, just off the many reviews I've read) and that comes with a bit more fatigue, still some people think visa-versa.

So for me, the mids were hard to distinguish so much. Dvjkool and brooko reviewed that the mids are a bit more forward.

I want to stress again I'm not an expert nor have I listened to these. I'm pulling these words out of memory of other reviews/comparisons, and people's thoughts and word choice difer a bit.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Sorry, I was in a rush on that last post. I think you should just look at reviews (don't forgot about joker's), comparisons, and impression threads (which may be a bit biased, but will give some helpful comments). Both the Fidue A83 and Dunu Dn-2000 are said to have well, crisp vocals with the dn2k said to be a bit more crisp in the vocals. And a forgotten thanks to brooko, thank you.

As to the slam on the bass, I'm not so sure which one gives the bigger slam. I'm thinking that have about the same slam?
On the treble, why do some say the a83 is brighter and others warmer, or whether is more or less forward than the other? Is there some element I'm not seeing or is it all different hearing?

Brooko, can you pick a few random songs from the ones listed above to try out with the a83, and tell me what you think doesn't fit well or what does? I'm pretty sure you have different tastes in music though, so I'm honestly expecting a "I'm not sure"; so it's a weird question to ask.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 14
Here's the problem Kevin - I don't have the DN2000 with me at the moment.  I have another set coming, but it won't be here until I get the new 2000J (hopefully some tme soon).

Also - I read your last two posts, and there are a lot of descriptive words in there - but they tend to muddle up what I've been trying to get across.  So lets get back to basics.

• Both are relatively well balanced across the frequencies - but the A83 has a little more of a mild V shape than the DUNU (so slightly elevated bass and upper-mid/lower treble).  If you want more impactful bass - the A83 is the way to go.

• Both have nice mid-ranges.  A83 has a tilt toward the upper mid-range.  DN2000 has less upper mid-range, comparatively more lower mid-range, and is probably a little more cohesive throughout. For my preferences, I liked the DN2000 more for male vocals and Rock.  I liked the A83 more for female vocals, Indie and Jazz/Blues. But both are very good all-rounders, especially once you get used to their signatures.

• In the upper mid-range / lower treble - the DN2000 is smoother and slightly more rolled off comapred to the A83.  The A83 is a little sharper and brighter.

I wouldn't describe either as dark or warm.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Oh - no problem.  Sometimes when the phrasing gets into too much "audiophile speak" - eg forward mids, crisp vocals, bass texture (and I'm guilty of this in my own reviews), the actual message gets lost.

At that stage its better to talk about frequency differences.  Just gets the message across a little clearer 
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 14
i recently purchased a83 and i love them. bass is deep but not overwhelming and theres plenty of it. i live listen to electronica music - dubstep, house, trance, etc and it sounds great. havent heard of dunu so i couldnt say anything about that but the a83 is well worth it. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 14
and im no expert either. im going by what i hear off these a83s. only other comparison i can give it to is my monster turbine golds which i did like also. and comparing the 2 theres is a clarity difference. i honestly do love these a83. there fanastic for electronica music and with an equalizer i have been able to make it to what i want. dont regret the buy at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back