Steve Hoffman to speak at Can Jam 2009 LAX
Jan 13, 2009 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Well hats off to Voltron for setting this up for CanJam 2009. Steve Hoffman and Joe Harley (Music Matters) have graciously agreed to speak at Can Jam Saturday 5/30/2009. The talk is going to center around his recent ground breaking work with the Music Matter Blue Note reissue series. For those that have not seen Steve talk the hour or so is filled with amazing music and anecdotes from his work. I guarantee everyone that attends will get a ton of enjoyment and knowledge out of this lecture.

Here is some information that Al has provided for the Steve Hoffman forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Originally Posted by Voltron
"Steve Hoffman and Joe Harley have graciously agreed to speak together at Head-Fi's Fourth Annual International Headphone/Audio Meet, aka Can Jam 2009, which is happening May 29-31 at the LAX Hilton. All members of this fantastic forum are also invited to attend the meet and catch the Steve & Joe Show. The focus of the talk will be the Music Matters Jazz Blue Note reissue series, not surprisingly, and it will be a great opportunity to hear some of the behind the scenes info and even more importantly cuts of music in their historic master tape form. Steve's talks are legendary, and he was the highlight of our Second Annual meet up in San Jose so don't miss it!"

I had the pleasure of attending one of Steve's talks at CES and it was outstanding.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 11
woah! this is outstanding news!!!
Nice job Al...everyone attending or thinking about attending...this should not be missed.
I heard him speak previously at canjam and I just planned to drop by for a few minutes, but could not leave the room.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Steve is a class act and I have kept up with him a bit since the 2007 meet. He agreed to speak at CJ09LAX after one simple PM on the SteveHoffman.tv forum because he enjoyed his last talk at HeadFest so much. He really got the headphone bug anew after checking out the meet while he was up in SJ, when Todd of TTVJ.com sponsored his trip. Steve hung out and really took in the vendor and member offerings, and I think he ended up with K701s recabled by ALO, a Woo Audio amp, and HD600s with a Stefan Audio Arts cable based on attending that meet!

His talks really are incredible and he shares stories and audio clips from some of the greatest recording sessions in history. The focus on the current Music Matters Blue Note reissue series means John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Grant Green, Lee Morgan and many more will be there in the room with us as if we were at Rudy Van Gelder's studio in Englewood Cliffs, NJ back in the day . . . I won't miss this talk for anything, and for those considering the idea of attending Can Jam '09, your minds should be made up by now.
L3000.gif

Oh, and this ain't all that JP Numbers and 909 and the rest of the crew have in store, so book your trip now people. The topper of all international meets is in the works. Just think, the Senn HD800, the Ultrasone Ed. 8, new amps by Ultrasone, Beyer, TTVJ/Millett, and many more will all be in one place at one time. Who's gonna miss out on all that?!

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 11
Managed to watch the video of his last talk, very interesting. Wish I could be there to catch this one live !!!

One year I will have to make the trip to canjam.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Excellent news!
Make sure recording the speak and distribute it, like in 2007 (if I remember correctly).

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Steve Hoffman is no doubt one of the leading audio engineers in the world. I would and have bought lots of titles he has mastered. His work is stellar.

One must always remember we can have great rigs in which to play our music, but if it is not mastered correctly, its the same old story - "Garbage in and Garbage out. In fact good equipment makes Garbage stark raving garbage.

Wish I could attend Steve's talk. One can keep up to speed with him on his forum. I love that as busy as he is, he's never to busy to participate with forum members.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap. Looks like I'm going to LA.

That's the spirit!

We will try to tape the talk, but it is not an easy task and there are limitations on what Steve can permit to be published, but I am pretty sure we will do something. Still not the same as being there, I can tell you that.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Those who attended the Steve Hoffman lecture at HeadFest 2007 (San Jose) will tell you that it was an amazing experience. If you're a lover of music, Steve Hoffman represents the rarest of breeds that we need to keep the magic going--moving in a direction diametrical to that most of the music industry has taken, Steve has made his life's passion and purpose to deliver to us what I consider great music and with the greatest possible fidelity. And he has a knack for bringing the audience he's speaking to fully into his experiences, both through a knack for story-telling, and the illustrative power of the rare and one-of-a-kind recordings he shares with us during his lecture.

There were at least a couple of moments during the HeadFest lecture where a look around the room revealed many an emotional response, with welled-up eyes on some, myself included.

I so can't wait. Thanks, Voltron!

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 11
Wow, that's fantastic news. I can't wait to attend Can Jam now. I get to listen to fabled phones and hear my musical hero speak!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back