Stereovox XV Ultra
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #16 of 34
Just wanted to post second day observations for breaking in my XV Ultra.

• Top end is still a bit hot, but not as much and seems more controlled.
  • More detail and even delicate and quiet detail is available.
  • Bass has is more present and I am actually hearing more and deeper bass on songs that I know because of the cable.
  • The organic whole presentation of music such as tone and timber seem right to me.  I hear a fullness and richness that goes beyond the XV 2, so from my mind there is a definate improvement.

Thus far I am very happy with this cable and think it is very good in and of itself and for the price is a very good value.  Probably have another day to break in.  I've read it takes about 4 days to break in fully.  I have mine hooked up to my Wadia i170 and leave my iPod in and playing all of the time on shuffle so I'm thinking it would only take me two days before everything settles down.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 34
This is day three and it sounds like the cable is now broken in for the most part.  Here are the high points:

• Detail is very high now with lots of subtlies present without any harshness or glare.
  • Bass did not seem to change from yesterday.
  • One observation was that I wanted to turn up the music another notch.  Don't know why, just wanted to turn it up louder for what its worth.

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #18 of 34
Impossible

The rca pin is too big you never get 75 ohms impedance like BNC
Period

It`s a good way to get very rich by selling nonsence
happy_face1.gif

Only solution is de-solder the old rca connectors and replace it all to BNC 75 ohms then you hear a desent change , more depth more weightness and sounds will SUBMITcome easier lose from the speakers.

Been there tested it all

http://dutchamps.webs.com/digitalcablesbnc.htm

buy all true 75 bnc `s
costs 4 connectors about 15 euro, 30cm cable 4 euro, 1 hour work , set your seat warm for a dedicated  sound stage
darthsmile.gif

Cya all

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 34

Quote:
Impossible

The rca pin is too big you never get 75 ohms impedance like BNC
Period

It`s a good way to get very rich by selling nonsence
happy_face1.gif

Only solution is de-solder the old rca connectors and replace it all to BNC 75 ohms then you hear a desent change , more depth more weightness and sounds will SUBMITcome easier lose from the speakers.

Been there tested it all

http://dutchamps.webs.com/digitalcablesbnc.htm

buy all true 75 bnc `s
costs 4 connectors about 15 euro, 30cm cable 4 euro, 1 hour work , set your seat warm for a dedicated  sound stage
darthsmile.gif

Cya all

Sorry mate, but the cable already comes with BNC connectors already attached.  Maybe you did not know that before posting.

May 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #20 of 34
For the one that is made for rca , i still call it B.S.
For the one that is BNC i had not seen it, and you where right.
wink.gif

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Stereovox%20XV%20Ultra%20Digital.htm

This picture is clearly a RCA type and will never be 75 ohms, if they realy make a BNC type then ... it can be a good 75 ohms (then i didn`t say anything)
beyersmile.png

Or is it a bnc to a rca connector on the cable it self? even worse then a rca only whahahaha

Quote:
[size=x-small]75 Ohm BNCs mated with proprietary BNC : RCA Adapter[/size]

like i said this is NOT a full 75 ohms  connection this cable will only give reflextions and mismatches in 30 ohms and 75 ohms

It will allways be better like i said to make it full bnc (dig.out and in) a solder station and cutter and some dare to solder .....

May 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 34

Quote:
For the one that is made for rca , i still call it B.S.
For the one that is BNC i had not seen it, and you where right.
wink.gif

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Stereovox%20XV%20Ultra%20Digital.htm

This picture is clearly a RCA type and will never be 75 ohms, if they realy make a BNC type then ... it can be a good 75 ohms (then i didn`t say anything)
beyersmile.png

Or is it a bnc to a rca connector on the cable it self? even worse then a rca only whahahaha

Well, if you have a soldering iron and want to cut the ends off of your cables, have at it!

IMHO, this is a sweet cable at any price, and for what they are asking for, it's a bargin.  The guy who designed this cable has been doing it for a long time, and he has a very good reputation.

May 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #22 of 34

Quote:

beyersmile.png

All Stereovox digital cables are terminated with BNC plugs and come with BNC-RCA adapters on both ends.  
I recently compared Stereovox XV2, Ultra, and Veloce:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90828.msg933337#msg933337

May 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 34
May 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 34
Cable can be perfect i agree
But not the adapter, it is a way to sell it, course a lot of users don`t solder out there connectors in the cases of there devices.

If you take the cable with both ends full BNC i think you got a good way to make it work.
But with those adapters ... i wont recomment it, it will give reflections i am 100% sure of that it brings mismatches

I make bnc connectors into DACs and cd players

Quote:
This is a phenomena that happens only at higher frequencies.

In consumer products the load is 75 ohm and in military it's 50 ohm.
    So, when you have a cable that goes from your transport to DAC,
    everything must be 75 ohm, this includes the female RCA connectors,
    male RCA connectors and the coax cable itself.

If one of these components is not true 75 ohm part of the signal will
    reflect, but only at high frequencies, like the ones digital signals are
    transmitted in.

If the cable is 75 ohm and the connector is 70 ohm only a small
    fraction will reflect, however if the cable is 75 ohm and the RCA is
    32 ohm (which is typical for most expensive/fancy so called audiophile
    RCA connectors out there) significant part of the signal will reflect.

First, this reflection makes the signal weaker and second, the 
    reflection can cause an avalanche effect where it disturbs the signals 
    behind it.

This is all very bad for an instrumentation type cable.

Most RCA connectors are 32-40 ohm. At high frequencies, the
    shape of the connector and the thickness of dielectric will determine
    the impedance. That is why it's so hard to make RCA connectors 75
    ohm, their shape and conductor spacing prevent this. BNC connectors
    are a different story, they can easily be made to be 75 ohm.

Hope this will clear some out technically

May 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
Cable can be perfect i agree
But not the adapter, it is a way to sell it, course a lot of users don`t solder out there connectors in the cases of there devices.

If you take the cable with both ends full BNC i think you got a good way to make it work.
But with those adapters ... i wont recomment it, it will give reflections i am 100% sure of that it brings mismatches

I make bnc connectors into DACs and cd players

Hope this will clear some out technically

I'm not sure I follow.  The cable already comes with BNC connectors with an RCA jack adapter.  If our equipment has BNC inputs, we can simple remove the RCA adapters.

I don't understand what you are getting at.  Are you saying you modify equipment and are making a case for us to modify our equipment with you?

May 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #26 of 34
All im saying is IF you use the cable with the adapter (bnc-rca) you still resieve those reflections.
IF you use the cable without the adapters strait to the devices then you got a good connection almost without any reflections.
So yes the devices need to have BNC to both ends, if you use any adapter then the reflections are back.
That`s all im saying
wink_face.gif

(talking about those female connectors inside)
Yes i can de-solder those rca`s and replace them with bnc`s inside the DAC or Cd player, or any digital device.

May 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
All im saying is IF you use the cable with the adapter (bnc-rca) you still resieve those reflections.
IF you use the cable without the adapters strait to the devices then you got a good connection almost without any reflections.
So yes the devices need to have BNC to both ends, if you use any adapter then the reflections are back.
That`s all im saying
wink_face.gif

(talking about those female connectors inside)
Yes i can de-solder those rca`s and replace them with bnc`s inside the DAC or Cd player, or any digital device.

Ok, now I understand.  Yes, I agree.

May 8, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #28 of 34
FYI, Stereovox cables take a very very long time to fully break in.....

Meaning it will only get better and better....the bass is thin-ish and the highs are slightly hot, but over time the cable is absolutely neutral and lets everything through.

In contrast the Oyaide 75ohm cable I have is warm, no matter what source its connected too.  Many see this as being more analog because it makes the sound of their hot-digital gear sound better...more smoothed out.  Fact is Oyaide is colored....Stereovox is not.  The Stereovox cable has less and less of a sonic signature over time, if you connect a hot-digital Dac to it you get a hot-digital sound, connect a warmer source you get a warmer sound, I can clearly hear the sonic attributes to every Dac I have used the Stereovox cable with... 

May 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
FYI, Stereovox cables take a very very long time to fully break in.....

Meaning it will only get better and better....the bass is thin-ish and the highs are slightly hot, but over time the cable is absolutely neutral and lets everything through.

In contrast the Oyaide 75ohm cable I have is warm, no matter what source its connected too.  Many see this as being more analog because it makes the sound of their hot-digital gear sound better...more smoothed out.  Fact is Oyaide is colored....Stereovox is not.  The Stereovox cable has less and less of a sonic signature over time, if you connect a hot-digital Dac to it you get a hot-digital sound, connect a warmer source you get a warmer sound, I can clearly hear the sonic attributes to every Dac I have used the Stereovox cable with... 

its digital 0101010101010101010101010101010101010101011011010110101011010101010101010 cant be warm

May 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
its digital 0101010101010101010101010101010101010101011011010110101011010101010101010 cant be warm

tj, the 1&0 aspect is only a very small part of the equation.  Digital is actually more analog than it appears because much of it involves signal transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back