Stereovox XV Ultra
Dec 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

rosgr63

Headphoneus Supremus
Season's Greetings.

Has anybody tried, listened to the new Stereovox XV Ultra Coaxial cable?

Any impressions, reviews?

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Season's Greetings.

Has anybody tried, listened to the new Stereovox XV Ultra Coaxial cable?

Any impressions, reviews?

It's so new, there really isn't much impression out there. Since I love the XV2, I'd love to try the XV Ultra as well, but double the price??!

12518219896234537.jpg

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 34
I also have the XV2 and want to try the Ultra which is $350 for 0.5 or 1m.
Maybe it's worth waiting for a review comparison to the XV2 first.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 34
The Stereovox website seems no longer available. Wondering :

a) where I can find more information about the VX-Ultra ?

b) where can I get a good deal for this cable ?

I too am a very happy user of VX2 (using dual feed from Chord Blu to Chord QBD76).

Thanks in advance.
F. Lo

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 34
Thanks for the lead.

I think the trade-in offer is not particularly attractive, as a good condition 1m VX2 can go for US$120+ at Audiogon ?

But more importantly we need more impressions / reviews before we jump :wink:

F. Lo

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 34
Some of us are not US based.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 34

Quote:
Since end of February, it seems that the Stereovox VX Ultra has got very very positive reviews.

Can any of you give a feedback to us ?

tks

Just got the StereoLab XV-Ultra today.  I have been using the StereoVox XV-2 user for the last few years to feed my PS Audio DLIII (w/Cullen L4 mods) DAC.  I was very pleased with the XV-2, and from just initial impressions, and although not fully broken-in, the XV-Ultra has surpassed it.  I really liked the XV-2 for it's accuracy and for the amount of detail it was able to pass from my source, and the XV-Ultra knows how to get out of the way and pass along even more detail.

I can post more after a week or so after the cable fully breaks in.  I also like that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for really high quality.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 34
Thanks for the update, let us have more details after you tried it for a week or so.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 34

Quote:

Just got the StereoLab XV-Ultra today.  I have been using the StereoVox XV-2 user for the last few years to feed my PS Audio DLIII (w/Cullen L4 mods) DAC.  I was very pleased with the XV-2, and from just initial impressions, and although not fully broken-in, the XV-Ultra has surpassed it.  I really liked the XV-2 for it's accuracy and for the amount of detail it was able to pass from my source, and the XV-Ultra knows how to get out of the way and pass along even more detail.

I can post more after a week or so after the cable fully breaks in.  I also like that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for really high quality.

I had forgotten about this thread, but I had obtained XV-Ultra in addition to my XV-2 some time ago.  Things get real interesting if you have transport and DAC with both  BNC and RCA connectors, as both XV-2 and Ultra sound quite different between RCA and BNC.  One mode is not always "superior" to other depending on system, and Ultra is not necessarily "better" in every system IME.   

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
I had forgotten about this thread, but I had obtained XV-Ultra in addition to my XV-2 some time ago.  Things get real interesting if you have transport and DAC with both  BNC and RCA connectors, as both XV-2 and Ultra sound quite different between RCA and BNC.  One mode is not always "superior" to other depending on system, and Ultra is not necessarily "better" in every system IME.   

Interesting, I had read that because of the physical properties of the RCA connector causing reflections it was very difficult to keep the signal at 75 ohms, but the BMC, which is shaped differently was much easier.  Does this square with what you know?

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 34

Quote:
Interesting, I had read that because of the physical properties of the RCA connector causing reflections it was very difficult to keep the signal at 75 ohms, but the BMC, which is shaped differently was much easier.  Does this square with what you know?

While it's true only BNC can achieve true 75 Ohm impedance, that whole theoretical thing is likely overplayed, as I've seen all kinds of non-75 ohm connection between the BNC female socket and the circuit board.  I mean, many manufacturers even use the 100-Ohm video BNC sockets, not the 75-Ohm BNC connectors for digital audio 
rolleyes.gif

It's actually a rare thing when a component sports true 75-Ohm BNC connectors and keep that impedance inside the chassis.  If done so, BNC does tend to have a more pure sound with less audible connector signature.  Then again IME, I'd rather have RCA male/female connectors made with better materials (pure silver, pure copper/silver with Rhodium plating, etc with teflon spacers, etc) than the cheap nickel-plated BNC connector.

In the Stereovox case, the case is complicated by the fact it comes terminated with BNC connectors plus BNC/RCA adapters, which most people use.  The adapter is not the highest quality and definitely has a sound signature; if I had a component with RCA connectors only, I'd be interested in getting the Stereovox cable actually terminated with quality RCA connectors, not the BNC+adapter configuration.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back