Stereo switcher that offers total isolation
Aug 8, 2002 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jvh

Head-Fier
My HT setup is geared heavily towards movie playback. I am putting together a dedicated headphone system for music listening. It uses 3 separate headphone amplifiers being fed from one source player.

I am currently using a Niles AXP-1 selector in a reverse input/output configuration. It is intended to be used as a source switcher. 5 stereo pairs of inputs to 1 stereo pair of outputs. Just with one amp connected I can hear crosstalk between selection positions.

Does anyone manufacture a stereo line level selector that offers total isolation between positions? It needs to switch between 3 outputs.

John

Aug 9, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Background: I posted a similar question asking if such a device (an output switchbox) existed. Hirsch sent me a Radioshack model (3 inputs, 1 output--reversed) and I discovered the same phenomenon you did--at high volumes. I asked Hirsch and I believe the response was that when he checked it, he did not experience that, but he may not have used the same volume I did.

In other words, if you feel you can compare a Niles to a Radioshack (that was dropped once), then leaks are a natural occurence. Heh. I see no logical fallacies in this statement whatsoever.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 5
The input selector on the SHA-1 has enormous leakage, FWIW. I suspect the culprit is a shared ground connection. My guess is that most inexpensive switchers, including some in expensive equipment, isolate the signal but don't pay proper attention to isolating the ground connections. I make this guess with no technical background whatsoever.

Aug 9, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack
In other words, if you feel you can compare a Niles to a Radioshack (that was dropped once), then leaks are a natural occurence. Heh. I see no logical fallacies in this statement whatsoever.
rolleyes.gif

LOL!

For what it's worth, Niles switch boxes are generally MUCH higher in quality than Radio Shack stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back