Stereo imaging - Vocals towards left side
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #91 of 100
Sorry, I was referring to Bansaku

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #92 of 100
I'd sure like to see you detect a difference of 1dB in a channel with dynamic music in normal listening conditions.

Why do you doubt me? I told you I hear an imbalance in the music (movies, games) and adjusting the on-screen computer generated slider by 1-2dB is HIGHLY audible to my ears. Sure, I probably wouldn't notice while listening to classical or jazz, or even a live performance given the nature of their sound structure, but for dialogue/vocals, and the centring of the kick and snare drum in rock, metal, and electronica I hear it clear as day, regardless of the headphones or source. When I demo my gear to others without resetting the L/R balance nobody notices at all, and they also have to crank the volume a few notches to reach an optimum listening level. Everyone's ears are different, and mine just happen to be very sensitive and can easily notice the slight change in volume. My custom made balanced cable for my 99 Classics does not have L/R markings, yet my ears tell me when I put them on the wrong way.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #94 of 100
In highly compressed music you might be able to hear a 1dB difference between channels with direct A/B switching with a balanced sample. In dynamic music perhaps it would take 2 dB. But in the real world, if you sat down and put on your cans and someone played you a CD with one channel +/- 1dB, I don't think you would notice the imbalance at all. I bet it would take at least a 3dB difference.

I REALLY don't believe that you can tell when the wires of your headphone cable are plugged in swapped left for right. If you can, your cable is defective.

P.S. I think you have normal human hearing.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #95 of 100
Doubt? Somebody bragging on the internet? Perish the thought.

I am not bragging, I am stating a FACT! My current setting in Pro-Q is -1.79dB on the right, and I tuned that to the EXACT decimal listening to a mono source and a 20Hz-20KHz sine sweep until the sound was balanced to my ears. With Audio Midi and my (former) iDAC all I could do is adjust in 1dB increments and at -2dB I could hear the difference, hence why I switched to a professional grade plug-in.
All I was stating is that I can clearly hear the difference, challenging the " so called fact " that people can't hear a change lower than 3dB. I can, and I know others probably can as well.

In highly compressed music you might be able to hear a 1dB difference between channels with direct A/B switching with a balanced sample. In dynamic music perhaps it would take 2 dB. But in the real world, if you sat down and put on your cans and someone played you a CD with one channel +/- 1dB, I don't think you would notice the imbalance at all. I bet it would take at least a 3dB difference.

I REALLY don't believe that you can tell when the wires of your headphone cable are plugged in swapped left for right. If you can, your cable is defective.

P.S. I think you have normal human hearing.

Ok then, just because YOU read it somewhere on the internet doesn't mean it's correct. I have read that the Earth is flat, and Elvis is alive and well living in the Greek isles. It doesn't be-front me if you don't believe me, it just makes you look like a pompous ass who thinks they can tell me what I can and can not hear. Bet away, if you lived in the Edmonton area I'd gladly take your challenge and wager extremely high just for the satisfaction that I wasn't proved right, rather that you are are proved wrong. Numbers on the screen don't lie, my ears don't lie, and neither do I. And for the record, the stock Meze cables (notice the plurality) are no different than my custom made, and it also makes no difference if I turn the cans around. The same goes for my HD600 with stock and aftermarket cables.

End of conversation; I won't indulge your arrogance/ignorance and piss poor attitude any further. You are incorrect, deal with it and move on!

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #96 of 100
Ok then, just because YOU read it somewhere on the internet doesn't mean it's correct.!

I didn't read it on the internet. I've spent a good bit of time trying to establish ballpark thresholds for various things. I've done tests using professional sound equipment and software and not just with myself, with friends and colleagues of mine in the business. I have a general idea of what ears can and can't hear. There aren't ears that can hear much better than normal, but there are ears that hear worse. Beyond a certain point, human hearing just can't detect, and that threshold is pretty close to being the same for all humans with undamaged hearing.

Thresholds of perception are the flip side of specs. You can't know how ratings equate to real world sound unless you figure out what those numbers mean. That takes some experimentation and testing. I think more audiophiles should do that. If they did, they would know what matters and what doesn't. If you're interested in the sort of experiments I'm talking about, check out the AES videos in my sig. They have links to the test files they use in the demonstrations and you can test yourself. You might find out your ears aren't quite so golden. I know I did when I first saw those videos.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #97 of 100
I am not bragging, I am stating a FACT! My current setting in Pro-Q is -1.79dB on the right, and I tuned that to the EXACT decimal listening to a mono source and a 20Hz-20KHz sine sweep until the sound was balanced to my ears. With Audio Midi and my (former) iDAC all I could do is adjust in 1dB increments and at -2dB I could hear the difference, hence why I switched to a professional grade plug-in.
All I was stating is that I can clearly hear the difference, challenging the " so called fact " that people can't hear a change lower than 3dB. I can, and I know others probably can as well.

Ok then, just because YOU read it somewhere on the internet doesn't mean it's correct. I have read that the Earth is flat, and Elvis is alive and well living in the Greek isles. It doesn't be-front me if you don't believe me, it just makes you look like a pompous ass who thinks they can tell me what I can and can not hear. Bet away, if you lived in the Edmonton area I'd gladly take your challenge and wager extremely high just for the satisfaction that I wasn't proved right, rather that you are are proved wrong. Numbers on the screen don't lie, my ears don't lie, and neither do I. And for the record, the stock Meze cables (notice the plurality) are no different than my custom made, and it also makes no difference if I turn the cans around. The same goes for my HD600 with stock and aftermarket cables.

End of conversation; I won't indulge your arrogance/ignorance and piss poor attitude any further. You are incorrect, deal with it and move on!

Why the anger? The bar isn’t set any differently for you than it is for anyone else. Unlike the rest of the site, claims in this subforum require supporting evidence.

Perhaps you do have superior hearing, but if I had a dollar for everyone who made that claim and failed to be able to prove it...

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #98 of 100

being suspicious comes with the area. don't take it personally. between how this sub section naturally attracts skeptics, the fact that this is internet, and literally legions of people claiming to be able to do things in audio forums they never in lifetime would actually be able to do, it does create an environment where trust isn't easily gained.
I think you both have a point. as I said I share your experience about imbalance. but at the same time, most of the headphones and IEMs I've measured have more than 1dB imbalance in maybe a third of the audio band. 2dB is not at all uncommon. and we do have most of the world not noticing any of it. simply because they don't get to experience direct comparison with on and off imbalance a mouse click away. and that changes everything.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #99 of 100
All you have to do is apply some controls to your test and prove it.

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #100 of 100
Funnily enough, I find vocals and music to be panned slightly towards the right when the output signals for both ears are set equally. In order for music played in mono to sound "centered", I need to lower the right channel by 3db. I let this issue worry me a bit until I went to an audiologist to get my hearing checked, and we found that both my ears are perfectly fine for my age. He said that my noted preference for listening with my right ear could just be because of how my brain is wired, or something of the sort :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back