Stereo Channels Reversed
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Posts
377
Likes
10
I come to think of something today.

Look at the example picture (I'm a talented drawer, eh) and imagine being the person. (You're looking at the speakers in front)




So, your headphones are connected to the same amplifier as the speakers - ergo you will hear the same signal.

If one element is panned to the left in the mix, then it will appear on "Speaker A" but on the Left Channel in your headphones. Let's say a producer intended a drumkit to sound as if it was playing live. Then he would pan the elements to its right position in the mix compared to where the drums are on stage. This means that the hihat will appear more strongly on "Speaker B", whilst on the headphone it will dominate on the Left Channel.

Or am I completely wrong?
I've always assumed that speaker A needs to go to input Right on the amp, and speaker B to input Left - but it might be the other way around.. Enlighten me, please
tongue.gif
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 12

Cool_Torpedo

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Posts
1,340
Likes
15
Location
Spain
Headphone channels are wired in the same way as are the speakers in a proper set up system. So what you'd hear from left speaker (A in your fantastic draw) would sound on your left ear coming from the "left" labeled phone.
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 12

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Posts
377
Likes
10
So to put it simple: I've always connected the speakers opposite to what's normal. Cuz I usually connect Speaker A to the right input on the amp.
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 12

Cool_Torpedo

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Posts
1,340
Likes
15
Location
Spain
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to put it simple: I've always connected the speakers opposite to what's normal. Cuz I usually connect Speaker A to the right input on the amp.


Looks like you reversed channels in your setup. At amplifier's speaker output labeled as "left" you should connect the speaker which is on your left hand, looking at the speakers ready to listen some music.
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 12

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 16, 2007
Posts
2,001
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speaker A needs to go to input Right on the amp, and speaker B to input Left


That sounds backwards to me. I could be wrong of course, too, but the Left and Right designations, as far as I've ever understood them, should relate to the speakers as they're positioned for the listener.

EDIT: Oops, for some reason I did not see Cool_Torpedo's last response in this thread before I typed mine, so now it really seems redundant.
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 12

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Posts
377
Likes
10
Ok, thanx for enlightening me
wink.gif
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 12

paaj

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Posts
2,139
Likes
22
Location
Amsterdam
why did you put the left speaker in the right output (and vice versa) in the first place?
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 12

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Posts
377
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why did you put the left speaker in the right output (and vice versa) in the first place?


It differs depending on whether you're facing the speakers, or standing the other way around and seeing things from the speaker's perspective. I always thought the speaker to the right of the amplifier (from its perspective) was the right speaker.

Now I know better
wink.gif
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 12

cykosis

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Posts
8
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It differs depending on whether you're facing the speakers, or standing the other way around and seeing things from the speaker's perspective. I always thought the speaker to the right of the amplifier (from its perspective) was the right speaker.

Now I know better
wink.gif



Your first mistake was assuming that the speaker / amp *has* a perspective
jecklinsmile.gif
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 12

Peter Pinna

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Posts
1,002
Likes
75
Usually, the speaker outputs on the back of amps are color coded. The "right" speaker is plugged into the red outlet, and the "left" speaker is plugged into the white outlet. On some older amps, they are not color coded but marked as "right" and "left". When setting up the speakers, the speaker wired into the red / (or marked as) ''right" outlet would be placed on your right as you face the front of the speakers and the speaker plugged into the white / (or marked as) "left" outlet would be placed on your left (as you face the front of the speakers).
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 12

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Posts
11,206
Likes
589
Location
Barsoom
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually, the speaker outputs on the back of amps are color coded. The "right" speaker is plugged into the red outlet, and the "left" speaker is plugged into the white outlet. On some older amps, they are not color coded but marked as "right" and "left". When setting up the speakers, the speaker wired into the red / (or marked as) ''right" outlet would be placed on your right as you face the front of the speakers and the speaker plugged into the white / (or marked as) "left" outlet would be placed on your left (as you face the front of the speakers).


that color coding isn't always standard, in fact i've never seen it

most amplifiers just color code for polarity and thats it
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top