Stereo Channels Reversed
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
I come to think of something today.

Look at the example picture (I'm a talented drawer, eh) and imagine being the person. (You're looking at the speakers in front)

So, your headphones are connected to the same amplifier as the speakers - ergo you will hear the same signal.

If one element is panned to the left in the mix, then it will appear on "Speaker A" but on the Left Channel in your headphones. Let's say a producer intended a drumkit to sound as if it was playing live. Then he would pan the elements to its right position in the mix compared to where the drums are on stage. This means that the hihat will appear more strongly on "Speaker B", whilst on the headphone it will dominate on the Left Channel.

Or am I completely wrong?
I've always assumed that speaker A needs to go to input Right on the amp, and speaker B to input Left - but it might be the other way around.. Enlighten me, please
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Headphone channels are wired in the same way as are the speakers in a proper set up system. So what you'd hear from left speaker (A in your fantastic draw) would sound on your left ear coming from the "left" labeled phone.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 12
So to put it simple: I've always connected the speakers opposite to what's normal. Cuz I usually connect Speaker A to the right input on the amp.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to put it simple: I've always connected the speakers opposite to what's normal. Cuz I usually connect Speaker A to the right input on the amp.

Looks like you reversed channels in your setup. At amplifier's speaker output labeled as "left" you should connect the speaker which is on your left hand, looking at the speakers ready to listen some music.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

speaker A needs to go to input Right on the amp, and speaker B to input Left

That sounds backwards to me. I could be wrong of course, too, but the Left and Right designations, as far as I've ever understood them, should relate to the speakers as they're positioned for the listener.

EDIT: Oops, for some reason I did not see Cool_Torpedo's last response in this thread before I typed mine, so now it really seems redundant.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Ok, thanx for enlightening me
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 12
why did you put the left speaker in the right output (and vice versa) in the first place?

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why did you put the left speaker in the right output (and vice versa) in the first place?

It differs depending on whether you're facing the speakers, or standing the other way around and seeing things from the speaker's perspective. I always thought the speaker to the right of the amplifier (from its perspective) was the right speaker.

Now I know better
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

It differs depending on whether you're facing the speakers, or standing the other way around and seeing things from the speaker's perspective. I always thought the speaker to the right of the amplifier (from its perspective) was the right speaker.

Now I know better
wink.gif

Your first mistake was assuming that the speaker / amp *has* a perspective
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Usually, the speaker outputs on the back of amps are color coded. The "right" speaker is plugged into the red outlet, and the "left" speaker is plugged into the white outlet. On some older amps, they are not color coded but marked as "right" and "left". When setting up the speakers, the speaker wired into the red / (or marked as) ''right" outlet would be placed on your right as you face the front of the speakers and the speaker plugged into the white / (or marked as) "left" outlet would be placed on your left (as you face the front of the speakers).

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually, the speaker outputs on the back of amps are color coded. The "right" speaker is plugged into the red outlet, and the "left" speaker is plugged into the white outlet. On some older amps, they are not color coded but marked as "right" and "left". When setting up the speakers, the speaker wired into the red / (or marked as) ''right" outlet would be placed on your right as you face the front of the speakers and the speaker plugged into the white / (or marked as) "left" outlet would be placed on your left (as you face the front of the speakers).

that color coding isn't always standard, in fact i've never seen it

most amplifiers just color code for polarity and thats it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back