Stereo Channel Balance in DT770/80 Pro
Feb 5, 2007 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nrwilk

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my DT770/80 Pros, and I love them so far.
600smile.gif
But, I did notice one thing which I wasn't sure if I was correct about. It seems that the right driver is slightly quieter than the left driver. Not much, but I noticed it in several tracks.

Then I saw a post in another thread with this quote, referring to the DT770/80 Pros:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the stock ones, and they were pretty good, except for the imbalance in the cups.

Is this a known issue with the DT770/80s? Or, is my right ear left slightly less sensitive than my left ear?

Is this because of the one-sided cable? I guess this would be addressed and fixed by Darthing the DT770s because of the dual-cables added.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 17
I just got my 770/80s last night and haven't noticed that, but I will look for it today. Darth's wood take care of it unless it is a driver issue.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 17
When I had these headphones, I posted on this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217497

I had some major problems with those headphones. I figured they had to be a lemon, because I heard a bit of 'fuzz' as well as the heavy imbalance. For me, that was about 10dB (I have a sound pressure meter to measure). I returned them.

I'm hoping the darth beyer works through this better, since I'm planning on buying one sometime. If Slaughter notices an imbalance though, then chances are I'll not make that purchase.

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 17
I heard it yes but it was nothing major... But I am not a HIFI person so maybe it was.

But since I am on a computer that is easilly fixed by the sound card drivers
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 17
I have new 770/80 and with some CDs i also had feeling that all is moved slightly to left...with some other material practically not. Now i burn them in with pink and it seems to disapear and the sound is sort of very comfortably droped down a little. pink does wonders!
hope it helps, leener
basshead.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 17
now I remember I think I increased the sound 3 db on the right headphone to get equal volume on mine...

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have new 770/80 and with some CDs i also had feeling that all is moved slightly to left...with some other material practically not. Now i burn them in with pink and it seems to disapear and the sound is sort of very comfortably droped down a little. pink does wonders!
hope it helps, leener
basshead.gif

Thank you. Mine are at home right now burning-in with pink noise. They have about 5 hours of music and 30 hours of pink noise on them now.

Last time I checked in on them, I still could hear a slight difference between the drivers' volumes. I hope the burn-in helps, though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 17
I couldn't hear any imbalance today so grabbed my SPL meter and some pink noise and got the same reading from each driver. Lucky me I suppose....

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 17
Does the imbalance go away with burn in? Because at first I thought it was just me. But then I took a listen again today after 40 some odd hours of pink noise burn in, I still notice the left driver being louder than the right and it's driving me up the wall. Can't even listen long enough to see if I like the Beyer signature or not
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the imbalance go away with burn in? Because at first I thought it was just me. But then I took a listen again today after 40 some odd hours of pink noise burn in, I still notice the left driver being louder than the right and it's driving me up the wall. Can't even listen long enough to see if I like the Beyer signature or not
frown.gif

I really doubt that the imbalance would even out by burn-in, although leener proves me wrong. Personally, I think I would exchange them for another pair instead of waiting for it to go away.

Do you experience the same imbalance out of different amplifiers? And different headphones?

Oh, and there are some songs which DO sound out of balance, just not very common though, I think.

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 17
Several months ago i noticed a db imbalance on my 770/80's. Shortly after the quieter side driver went out on me, called beyer, had them send me 1 new driver. Installed it, now they are fine. Perhaps there are a few drivers that just fail after a while?

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, check this up, pls, it says something about balance among others

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/ go to tips & tricks

hope it helps, leener
plainface.gif

The only mentioning of balance there is in reference to the frequency balance, not the Left-Right channel balance.

In my experience, imbalances have been stable (ie: I have not experienced total failure or balance drift). You will experience this if you go through enough headphones, especially older ones. Many people don't even much notice or care up to 1.5db imbalance with stereo music, thought that sounds like an awful lot. An easy way to subjectively test for channel imbalance is to hook your amp/headphones up to a computer and enable Foobar's "downmix channels to mono" DSP filter - pop in any music CD and give a listen. You should be able to discern differences down to 0.25-0.3db if you listen carefully. The Radio Shack SPL meter can give you more objective readings if the imbalance is around 2db or greater.

Best, would be to send them back to the manurfacturer for installation of new drivers. Barring that, see if you could obtain a spare set of matched drivers and have them installed by yourself or a friend.

When all else fails, it's fairly easy to build a custom attenuator (via a standalone box with RCA jacks or custom interconnect cables) to reduce the louder channel's SPL level. The attenuator should go between your source and your amp. Imbalances of around 3.5db or less can usually be completely fixed without discernable degradation to sound quality - the only exception is if your imbalance is very frequency dependant (that is very bad), which should be rare. I once ran across a pair of K340 that had a busted electret driver - the right and left sides were matched, but starting at around 3 or 4KHz the right side rapidly decreased to 10db below the left side! You can use tone-generator software with an SPL meter to test for a frequency dependant imbalance.

Keep in mind that the db reduction of an attenuator will be dependant on the input impedance of your amp. So, it helps to know this value. You can use a combination of Foobar mono downmixer, soundcard balance control, and SPL meter to determine what db attenuation value you need. Then, you can convert db value to a resistor value (in ohms) by the following formula:

R1 = Za/(10^(x/20)) - Za
where R1 is the resistor value you need (in ohms), Za is the input impedance of your amp (ohms), x is your desired attenuation in decibels (should be a negative number).

So, for a 100K input impedance (like my SDS) and a 3db attenuation you would have:
R1 = 100K/(10^(-3/20)) - 100K = 41.25K

Now, this will cause a slight channel imbalance between the input impedance your source sees (the attenuated channel having the higher input impedance by R1), but the sonic effect of this should be negligible except for very large attenuation values. If you want to be more rigorous you could add shunt resistor (bridges signal and ground) so that the input impedance is the same for both channels. To do so, use this formula:
1/Za = 1/(Za+R1) + 1/R2
where R2 is the shunt resistor value.

Not sure anybody cared that much, but that's all there is to this issue
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 17
Thanks a lot for all the useful info, mulveling.
600smile.gif

I don't think that my Beyers have that big of a problem, though. I only noticed the imbalance on a couple tracks before a lot of burning-in, and I haven't noticed it at all in a while. It might have been poor balance when these tracks were mastered, or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back