STEPS not quite fitting in my Hammond!
Mar 2, 2007 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kdaq

100+ Head-Fier
I finally got around to throwing together my STEPS. Works great (yet, as this was my first time working with live AC, I cowered in the fetal position when plugging it in for the first time. Nothing blew up...to my admittedly disappointed relief).

I have a problem, though! It doesn't fit quite right in the Hammond 1455N1201BK recommended on Tangent's site. It's close - I can force it in, in such a way that the PCB gets bent.

The transformer is the culprit. The fins are hitting the top inner edge of the case. I mounted the transformer absolutely flush with the PCB, and the PCB is slid into the lowest possible rail in the case.

Something like a mm filed off the transformer casing fins would fix this problem - but is this safe?

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 9
kdaq and I ordered parts together. I have the same issue. The toroid is part number TE70062.

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 9
These are STEPS 1.2 boards. The board itself fits fine. It's the transformer that hits the top rails of the case.

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Something like a mm filed off the transformer casing fins would fix this problem - but is this safe?

Yup, been there done that.
You can remove A LOT of that plastic before you ever start to get close to the tranny.

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 9
I've also had a similar problem. However, slight bending of the case will help the STEP ease into its new home. By doing so, it also helps the top cover slide in easily as well!

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Ah, exactly the kind of replies I was hoping for. Thanks guys! *looks around for a file*

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Update: Did a little case bending, and transformer filing, and it's all good now. Fear not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back