Stepping up to the plate - looking for some standout headphones
Jan 22, 2008 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Cry Havoc

100+ Head-Fier
That won't break my savings account. I'm a man of modest means, but I'm ready to make a big leap in terms of audio quality.

This brings me to a quandary. I don't want to spend over $300. I'm also working with a portable amp, so these phones would ideally sound good with the tomahawk until I can step up to a home amp.

What I want: Open or closed, it does not matter. Sound quality and comfort do. I think in this regard I would prefer open as they tend to be more comfortable and have better soundstage, correct?

These will be used only in my room at home, so they need not have any sound-deadening materials or things of that nature. I just want great sound.

Ideally they will handle rock and classical music adeptly. I realize that they are both very different styles of music, but I think I just want pretty solid set of headphones. A very good soundstage is preferable, obviously. Things that annoy me: Bloated bass and super-recessed mids.

Questionable build quality, goofy looks, massive size? Bring em on! I'm going to treat these things with kid/kit gloves, and if they sound good and don't make my ears hurt, they're for me!

Currently I'm looking at D2000s, Sextetts (if I can find a pair), Grado SR225s, Sennheiser 580s/600s, BeyerDynamic 770s/880s... and babystax. I think that's it.

Also, I'm patient and I've got time to figure this out. So personal experiences count for a lot!

Thanks. =)

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 15
For me, I'd take either the Grados or the Sextetts over any of those other headphones in a heartbeat.

Sextetts have the best vocals of any headphone I've heard and they're good with everything else. Kinda hard to drive though.

Grados have a sound all their own but I love them too. Vocals aren't as good as on the Sextetts but drums and guitar are incredible and they sound great with rock. Vocals are still good, but just not as good as the Sextetts.

I don't listen to classical much so I really don't know how those headphones handle it.

D2000s didn't do much for me... they're just pretty good at everything and great at nothing. Not worth the price tag IMO. I actually preferred the babystax to both the SR225s and Sextetts but I had awful comfort issues so I had to sell them. 580s didn't have enough treble for me with a portable amp or the amp in my DAC.

My worthless two cents.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Looks like your on the right track with the 225. Possibly even the Alessandro MS2 would fit the bill.
Both offer excellent mids and great bass in a non bloated way. If you have a chance to audition the 225 do so. Or ..... collect another $200 and jump right to the RS-2
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, the 225 or MS2 would be my top choice.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 15
Whatever you do, don't even consider the K701. Makes everything sound so airy to a point where not even a tenor sax has any weight to it.
frown.gif

I say go with the Grado SR 225 for sure!

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 15
Why didn't you ask me?!!!

Well, I think that the MS2i might just fit your bill. It is driven wonderfully from the tomahawk, and sounds just fantastic (I actually preferred it to the PS-1 -shhhhh... and the HD650/600/580). IMO, the MS series represents a more versatile Grado ( same sound sig, just toned down so that it can handle many things well).

Yeah, that is what you should get! Then, get the GS1K pads and throw them on so that you can have hours of solid listening.

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 15
My new favorite right now is the Sennheiser HD-600, they are more versatile than I remember with the HD650. I listen mainly to rock and electronic/dance music. The 580's are nearly identical sounding supposedly and can be had for fairly cheap too!

I've also found that the k701 wasn't my cup of tea unlike everyone else (they always sounded thin compared to the Senn line) and that all Grado's were uncomfortable and fatiguing.

I dunno I'm going to have to step up to some seriously expensive headphones at this rate, I've been through lots of the sub $300 ones already
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 15
Another vote for the Allessandro MS2i
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't have comfort problem with them, just in case anyone asks.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 15
With a mere Tomohawk, I don't think you should be considering anything close to an HD 650 / K 701. I haven't listened to the MSx series, but the sub-GS1K Grados would all sound too funky for classical music.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a mere Tomohawk, I don't think you should be considering anything close to an HD 650 / K 701. I haven't listened to the MSx series, but the sub-GS1K Grados would all sound too funky for classical music.

Funky? Explain please.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yar, I'll have to go with you on this one.
tongue.gif

Without a proper home amp and super-strong source, the lower end of the HD 650 sounds pretty much like one undefined note. As for the K701, it still sounded about the same even when through a tube amp and balanced.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back