Stepping up from an AKG K240 MKII?
Dec 3, 2011 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nphase

New Head-Fier
Say I've got an AKG K240 MKII, and I enjoy it quite a bit. Say I'm currently running a Fiio e10 as my DAC/Amp. Say I am looking for something similar that's a step up from it. 

I primarily listen to electronic music. I also regularly play indie-ish rock (Mute Math, Radiohead, etc). I will also occasionally put on some Rachmaninoff or Chopin, but that's more of an exception. I'm usually jamming out to music that's got a pretty big.

Any suggestions for what to buy next?

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Say I've got an AKG K240 MKII, and I enjoy it quite a bit. Say I'm currently running a Fiio e10 as my DAC/Amp. Say I am looking for something similar that's a step up from it. 

I primarily listen to electronic music. I also regularly play indie-ish rock (Mute Math, Radiohead, etc). I will also occasionally put on some Rachmaninoff or Chopin, but that's more of an exception. I'm usually jamming out to music that's got a pretty big.

Beyer DT770 PRO
Beyer DT990 PRO
Fischer Audio FA-002W
Denon D2000 (used)
Ultrasone PRO 650

Very best,

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:

There's not very many steps up to the K240 MKII unless you spend more than $200. K240 is pretty good for the price. If you love the sound of the K240 MKII I wouldn't suggest getting anything with more bass and less forward mids. Are you ok with the bass on the K240 or do you want even more?

You could try the DT-880, which is pretty impressive with electronic music, but it's not bass heavy. You may hate the sound coming from the AKG K240 and it's not for everyone. I prefer the AKG Q701 which is often found for $225, but you'd need to upgrade your amp for the DT-880 and Q701.

Q701 is not suggested for any bass heavy electronic music. I love it for ambient music.

If you love the K240 MKII like I do, you'd love the Q701 I think. You lose out on a lot of bass though, so you may not want to bother.

You could also give the SRH-840 a try. It's not even remotely bass light and I don't get why people say this. It has a lot of similarities to the K240 MKII. Check this graph out:

K240 MKII was an old favorite and I upgraded to the SRH-840 and then the Koss Pro DJ 100. Those are mostly side-grades I guess.

Despite my suggestion for the DT-880, I don't know if you'd be happy with it's mids coming from the K240 MK2. I've found they have better mids than the DT-770 and DT-990 though.

Going from the AKG K240 MKII to the DT-770 Pro 80 would make me sad
normal_smile%20.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
So the K701 is not the natural step-up from the K240 MKII?

No, if you listen to electronic music or indie-ish rock, K240 is better than K701.
Yes, if you listen to classic or acoustic music K701 is great.

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 14

Im surprised no one has asked for your budget yet... What is your budget?

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Im surprised no one has asked for your budget yet... What is your budget?

Ideally under $350.

Quote:

There's not very many steps up to the K240 MKII unless you spend more than $200. K240 is pretty good for the price. If you love the sound of the K240 MKII I wouldn't suggest getting anything with more bass and less forward mids. Are you ok with the bass on the K240 or do you want even more?

You could try the DT-880, which is pretty impressive with electronic music, but it's not bass heavy. You may hate the sound coming from the AKG K240 and it's not for everyone. I prefer the AKG Q701 which is often found for $225, but you'd need to upgrade your amp for the DT-880 and Q701.

Q701 is not suggested for any bass heavy electronic music. I love it for ambient music.

If you love the K240 MKII like I do, you'd love the Q701 I think. You lose out on a lot of bass though, so you may not want to bother.

You could also give the SRH-840 a try. It's not even remotely bass light and I don't get why people say this. It has a lot of similarities to the K240 MKII. Check this graph out:

K240 MKII was an old favorite and I upgraded to the SRH-840 and then the Koss Pro DJ 100. Those are mostly side-grades I guess.

Despite my suggestion for the DT-880, I don't know if you'd be happy with it's mids coming from the K240 MK2. I've found they have better mids than the DT-770 and DT-990 though.

Going from the AKG K240 MKII to the DT-770 Pro 80 would make me sad
normal_smile%20.gif

Gotcha - I guess I'm just going for a "better" K240 MKII. I think I'm fairly happy with the amount of bass on it. I've found it usually comes down to the mastering on the particular album and the level at which I'm listening. Turned up I'm pretty happy with the amount of bass on the K240 MKII

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Ideally under $350.

Gotcha - I guess I'm just going for a "better" K240 MKII. I think I'm fairly happy with the amount of bass on it. I've found it usually comes down to the mastering on the particular album and the level at which I'm listening. Turned up I'm pretty happy with the amount of bass on the K240 MKII

Do you need it to be portable? Im thinking the HD650 might be the right direction for you, the K240 are good for what they are though. Try other sound signitures maybe, so it isn't a direct upgrade and your K240 will still have their place. I went from K240 to Shure 940 and im happy with it K240 is warmer and more relaxed for more relaxed and sweet listening but i use my 940's when i feel like being more focused on the music. Maybe a headphone that fits a genre you listen to better than the K240?

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Do you need it to be portable? Im thinking the HD650 might be the right direction for you, the K240 are good for what they are though. Try other sound signitures maybe, so it isn't a direct upgrade and your K240 will still have their place. I went from K240 to Shure 940 and im happy with it K240 is warmer and more relaxed for more relaxed and sweet listening but i use my 940's when i feel like being more focused on the music. Maybe a headphone that fits a genre you listen to better than the K240?

I don't need it to be portable. The problem with trying other sound signatures is that I don't know where to go hear these cans in person. That seems more ideal than buying and then shipping back and forth..

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 14
I don't need it to be portable. The problem with trying other sound signatures is that I don't know where to go hear these cans in person. That seems more ideal than buying and then shipping back and forth..

Where are you located? Stores like Guitar Center and Samash will have some headphones, and most big music stores will probably have some. It was at Sam Ash that i first heard my 940.
What kind of music do you listen to?
Also might want to look for head-fi meets near you.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Where are you located? Stores like Guitar Center and Samash will have some headphones, and most big music stores will probably have some. It was at Sam Ash that i first heard my 940.
What kind of music do you listen to?
Also might want to look for head-fi meets near you.

I'm located in Chicago. I suppose I could run by the Guitar Center here to see if they have the HD650 and the 940. I listen to primarily electronic music, lots of indie rock, and every once in a while classical (Rachmaninoff, Chopin)

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 14
Ya guitar center should carry the 940 at least, try and see if you don't like it, if it isn't for you go with the HD650, you cant really go wrong with them.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

I'm located in Chicago. I suppose I could run by the Guitar Center here to see if they have the HD650 and the 940. I listen to primarily electronic music, lots of indie rock, and every once in a while classical (Rachmaninoff, Chopin)

I would think the studio oriented 940 would be better for you and not some bass heavy ones 

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 14
The HD650 just came in. Thanks all for the suggestions, quite a great step up from the K240 MKII's. Bigger soundstage, lush sound. Only bad thing about it is that my wife can't hear the difference between her $20 sony wrap arounds and these amazing things. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back