Stepping into your world
Jul 4, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #31 of 57
I had Meze Neo and I have Meze Classic, if you can pay the difference the Classic are simply fantastic

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #32 of 57
Update: Received my M100s - unimpressed upon initial listen........... they're on par with my Earpods - no better at all. How long should I test them before deciding to keep or not? I do enjoy added isolation from the environment but it just doesn't justify paying $200 more than a pair of Earpods.
Would they benefit from any additional equipment?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #33 of 57
Update: Received my M100s - unimpressed upon initial listen........... they're on par with my Earpods - no better at all. How long should I test them before deciding to keep or not? I do enjoy added isolation from the environment but it just doesn't justify paying $200 more than a pair of Earpods.
I think if you aren't super impressed with them out of the box, amping them isn't going to transmogrify them into your favorite sound ever. Figure out what you do or do not like about them and send them back, and then use that information to inform your next headphone decision.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #34 of 57
What are the listening to them through? I get the feeling you may need more power.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #35 of 57
I think if you aren't super impressed with them out of the box, amping them isn't going to transmogrify them into your favorite sound ever. Figure out what you do or do not like about them and send them back, and then use that information to inform your next headphone decision.

Fair enough, I'll give them a solid time before I make any brash decisions but I'm just a bit disappointed at the price tag and listening experience - quality of the product is incredible, no fault there. For 250 aud, price wise is fine but I'm feeling better audio from Apple's Earpods which I could pick up for like 40 bucks - I feel as though stepping up a tier would provide better results but then I just don't know whether paying 20x Earpod price would be worth it for me haha

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #37 of 57
Just my iPad Pro currently, will try on iPhone 6s and my computer as well (does anyone know if the SoundBlaster XFiMB5 is a decent soundcard)?
I only say this because I went through a lot of headphones when I 1st began this journey. At the time I was only using a basic smartphone. It's of my opinion to see what most cans can truly offer, you need to be able to drive them to at least close to their full potential. The m100 isn't by any means a bad sounding headphone

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #38 of 57
What are the listening to them through? I get the feeling you may need more power.
My guess is it's more about the headphones themselves...you'll notice the M100 isn't anybodies go-to recommended headphone around here. I haven't heard them and I don't intend to trash them, but I think there is a healthy list of other headphones that will sound better for $200. I would get different headphones with the money instead of spending MORE money on a better source in an effort to make those headphones sound better. They are meant to be a portable headphone, they are only 32 ohms if I remember correctly...so a better source most likely won't make a justifiable difference.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #39 of 57
My guess is it's more about the headphones themselves...you'll notice the M100 isn't anybodies go-to recommended headphone around here. I haven't heard them and I don't intend to trash them, but I think there is a healthy list of other headphones that will sound better for $200. I would get different headphones with the money instead of spending MORE money on a better source in an effort to make those headphones sound better. They are meant to be a portable headphone, they are only 32 ohms if I remember correctly...so a better source most likely won't make a justifiable difference.

Was definitely keen on trying them out due to some recommendations about being great bassy headphones - they sound fine - just no better than my earpods haha. Can you personally recommend any warmer, bass heavy cans? (Can I say cans yet lol)
Now listening through laptop and Tidal master quality and it's meh, doesn't blow me away and this is what I wanted - not convinced this experience is out there... yet. Beats Studio 3's are the only pair that have sounded 'better' than my Earpods but I've moved away from them due to Bluetooth reliance.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #40 of 57
I guess we can agree to disagree. My point being is that I was in the same position. Every headphone I listened to with just my phone at the time, I said the same thing. These aren't worth 200 dollars more than earpods. After a cheap amp, the light turned on. M100 isn't the greatest thing ever, but you should certainly be able to discern a difference between it and Apple earpods

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #41 of 57
I guess we can agree to disagree. My point being is that I was in the same position. Every headphone I listened to with just my phone at the time, I said the same thing. These aren't worth 200 dollars more than earpods. After a cheap amp, the light turned on. M100 isn't the greatest thing ever, but you should certainly be able to discern a difference between it and Apple earpods
Good to know, I can discern a difference - they're on par, but lack energy idk. Clamping force is a bit woozy too.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #42 of 57
Was definitely keen on trying them out due to some recommendations about being great bassy headphones - they sound fine - just no better than my earpods haha. Can you personally recommend any warmer, bass heavy cans? (Can I say cans yet lol)
Now listening through laptop and Tidal master quality and it's meh, doesn't blow me away and this is what I wanted - not convinced this experience is out there... yet. Beats Studio 3's are the only pair that have sounded 'better' than my Earpods but I've moved away from them due to Bluetooth reliance.
The best way to find out what the right headphones for you are is by listening to a bunch of different headphones, so it wasn't a bad idea to check out the M100.
I don't know as much about bass heavy/warm cans be honest...my personal preference has been for a more neutral, detailed sound signature ...with maybe a slight emphasis on bass and treble. (something like a gentle U shaped sound signature)
I am sure others can chime in with some good ideas.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #43 of 57
The best way to find out what the right headphones for you are is by listening to a bunch of different headphones, so it wasn't a bad idea to check out the M100.
I don't know as much about bass heavy/warm cans be honest...my personal preference has been for a more neutral, detailed sound signature ...with maybe a slight emphasis on bass and treble. (something like a gentle U shaped sound signature)
I am sure others can chime in with some good ideas.

Absolutely agree with listening to a bunch of different headphones - the only issue I have is I cannot readily do that and probably not about to undertake the cyclical quest of buying and returning and paying a restocking fee and yeah it's just a bit messy.
I just need to put this on hold then, until I either take a chance on a pair and find they are amazing or wait till I'm in a major city - sucks to be in this situation to be honest.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #44 of 57
Look at it like this. You've tried a few pairs, and pretty much drawn the same conclusions. I gave my status audio cb-1 to my co-worker today because I'm not using them. These by all means are not terrible. Listening to them through his S8, they sounded absolutely nothing like they did through my V30 in high impedance mode. Practically speaking, what's it going to hurt to buy a 40 dollar portable amp? It's a heck of a lot cheaper than a 350 dollar pair of headphones you very well might say the same thing about. Don't get me wrong, the 99 classics are superior to the m100. Technically speaking, on paper my Hifiman Edition S should be the most efficient headphones under the sun. But guess what, when I listen to them in high impedance mode, they give me all they've got, and there is no doubt that when they get unlocked, they sing much better than they do in auxiliary mode

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #45 of 57
fair enough, that's your personal experience...the OP has an IPhone 6 which should be able to power the headphones adequately enough to know if you like how they sound or not. I doubt an amp will transform them THAT much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back