Stepping into your world
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

notanaudiophileithink

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post, have just forayed into this incredible world of hi end audio and I’m buzzing - I’ve recently thought, how much better can my music consumption get, mid range consumer products like the Bose QC 35 have left me feeling like they can’t even hold up to my EarPods. As well as the revered Audio technica m50x which sounded very flat to me. I guess that’s from exposure to bass heavy EarPods?

That said, I listened to the Beats Studio 3s and they sounded great (cue the torches and pitchforks), seriously they are the best sounding headphones I’ve ever heard, guess that’s a testament to what I’ve been exposed to - I cannot however, justify that they’re 10x more than EarPods. They’re better sounding for sure, just not groundbreakingly so. So I’m looking for more, and I think more is out there, which is how I’ve ended up in these forums.

So, I’m here to hopefully get some recommendations and a nudge in the right direction. From what I can gather, I need a good source: will be coming from a Tidal HiFi subscription or most likely from Spotify Premium for the mean time (is that good enough?)

I need a decent pair of headphones:

I suppose the language I’d want to use is, warm, emphasis on mids and lows I believe, hip hop and rnb are my dominant genres. Just purchased a pair of vmoda m100s, excited for them to arrive. Looking at the beyerdynamic dt770s and I could probably jump up to the next tier provided this experience is transcendent haha, so looking at the Sony Mdr z7, potentially the Audeze sine and Audio technica es10.

I need(?) a headphone amplifier:

I’ve been looking at the NFB 11 as an amp dac combo (more on my understanding of a dac soon) but I can’t seem to find anywhere in Australia that stocks them idk. Or simply getting the Schiiit magni 3 and modi combo - this is all from reading recommendations reviews etc please suggest something if you think there’s better. I still don’t fully understand how dacs and amps impact sound quality

I need(?) a dac: from what I can gather iPhones, I’ve got a 6S right now, have some of the best dacs of mobile devices, now, where am I going to be listening from? Great question. Happy to listen from my laptop but where I do the most is from my iPhone, now, I don’t really need one if I’m iPhone but i would benefit from one if using Tidal hifi on both laptop and iPhone correct? Since it’s FLAC.

Cables cables cables?

I see cables worth hundreds of dollars and I’m not sure why, different types of connectors, it’s all a bit much for the moment, can anyone explain simply and recommend some cables etc.

And that’s about the extent of my thoughts currently.

I want to take my listening experience to the next level, provided there is actually a next level from my perspective, in a relatively bank account friendly way.

Update: have done more scrounging around... new high end headphones should have low enough impedance that smartphones are able to run them right... the only thing you’d need to ensure highest quality sound is the device’s DAC capability to support FLAC quality is that correct or am I just going about this wrong.

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 57
Most every headphone under the sun will benefit from some extra power. Source and files are absolutely paramount.
Take a look at the Meze 99 Classics and Neo. Crowd pleasers and favorites among many. They will indeed run well straight from a phone, but also scale nicely. Everyone should own a pair imo.
I recall when I started getting into head not long ago. I remember auditioning Beats and Bose at my local bestbuy. I thought at the time, they sounded decent, but as you stated not even remotely 250 dollars better than earbuds. So many better sounding headphones at that price range. The list is endless it seems. I have not heard the newest version though, but I hardly doubt they are in the same league as the 99s. Not unless they changed pretty much everything

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 57
Most every headphone under the sun will benefit from some extra power. Source and files are absolutely paramount.
Take a look at the Meze 99 Classics and Neo. Crowd pleasers and favorites among many. They will indeed run well straight from a phone, but also scale nicely. Everyone should own a pair imo.
I recall when I started getting into head not long ago. I remember auditioning Beats and Bose at my local bestbuy. I thought at the time, they sounded decent, but as you stated not even remotely 250 dollars better than earbuds. So many better sounding headphones at that price range. The list is endless it seems. I have not heard the newest version though, but I hardly doubt they are in the same league as the 99s. Not unless they changed pretty much everything

Thanks for the reply! So, with my iPhone, say i get a Meze model that you've suggested - it won't be a groundbreaking step up in quality would it? I have literally no way of testing these out and have never been in the vicinity of actual, professional headphones.
I'd probably benefit not going the budget route - but by buying a mid tier amp, mid tier headphones and listen to FLAC files right?

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 57
You can get away with well ripped 320 mp3s. SQ has a lot to do with how well mastered albums are. I have some mp3s that sound better than 24bit lossless,not to mention you can get a lot more music on an iPhone with mp3s. If space isnt an issue always try for FLAC though.

A great piece of kit is the Chord Mojo,which can be had used for around 350.00. The Mojo is an amp/DAC and it can power most headphones in the mid-tier level(sub 600.00)

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 57
Step up in quality absolutely. Both models have incredible build quality and sound amazing. Especially if we're comparing to Beats. In this case you definitely get what you pay for. Lossless files straight from your phone will be great. If you want to actually hear an obvious upgrade in sound quality, I highly recommend the 99 Classics. You will hear details in your music with flac files you likely didn't know were there. With a small, portable amp, they will shine even brighter. The Classics are considered a mid fi headphone - top notch mid fi

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 57
Do I just buy all the equipment and hope..

Youve gotten some decent advice already to start your search. The Mojo rocks. Its portable and can be used with your laptop and phone,and has plenty of power for such a small device.

The Meze I have not heard myself,but a lot of folks whose opinions I trust seem to really like them. Another great option if you can roll with open backs are the Sennheiser HD650/6xx,which the Mojo can drive easily.
If you want to move up the food chain the Audeze LCD-2c is a good headphone,with great sub bass,fast planar transitions and again the Mojo rocks it. It isnt a headphone you want to be taking on the streets though.

If you have questions about other headphones, ask away.

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 57
Ok so, a direct upgrade for me would be mid tier headphones, Tidal hifi and a mid tier dac/amp. Do I just buy all the equipment and hope..
I'd start with just the headphones and see if they satisfy directly from your 6S. Plus you have a pair of M100s on the way. They do hip hop well. Should you pick up a pair of 99s as well, with either set you feel there is more to be had, your phone doesn't seem to bring out the full potential in either set, or you simply crave more - get the amp. I run mine directly from my LG V30. I converted my entire CD collection and use the Neutron music player. I don't know anything about IPhones, or if Neutron is available for it. Eventually down the road (rabbit hole) I'll step up my game, but for now I'm golden. Just waiting for my dang Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee to get here

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 57
Thanks legends, very excited for my m100s to arrive - if I’m underwhelmed I probably wouldn’t just go and get something like a mojo right? Maybe try climbing the headphone ladder? Trying to grasp the idea here that I was very underwhelmed by Bose qc 35s and Audio Technica m50x’s, the first being a very premium, in my eyes at the time, high end option that would deliver superior sound quality and the latter being an entry level into the world of better audio... that said, spending the same cash, $450 AUD retail I can move up the professional quality tiers and hopefully pick up something that sounds much better than my EarPods and the qc 35s and is worth the price tag, i loved the beats studio 3’s sound signature, loved it, can’t justify the value for money, is that about right?

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 57
I see cables worth hundreds of dollars and I’m not sure why, different types of connectors, it’s all a bit much for the moment, can anyone explain simply and recommend some cables etc.

When you're starting out, don't worry about expensive cables. Choosing a good-as-possible set of HPs will make a much bigger impact than skimping on HPs and buying cables.

You could consider balanced cables, but then you'd be looking at more expensive balanced amps/DAC. And again, the benefits of balanced is less than making sure you have a good HP in the first place.

Since you're in Oz, I'd suggest going to the HP stores and trying them out first (specialized ones... not JB/HN/etc). I've got a few reccs for Sydney, but most capital cities will have somewhere you can visit.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 57
Coming in late sorry if some stuff was covered just skimmed most of it. The V-Moda 100’s good fun if you like bass and not too bad either way. The Beats Studio 3 don’t know but the Studios weren’t horrible just not for me though. Mojo is a yes no matter what it is just a great unit period that can run many headphones totally love it as a portable for my HD-800’s for listening on the back patio from my iPad or iPhone. Meze 99 Classics can do so many things. I have two eq slots on my QP1R and one is set for the Meze to be neutral and it takes it on with aplomb. It is a totally different headphone. Put it on a phone and it just fine or iPad in my case with a little Griz and the bass is there and just fine good mid bass hit and not too bad on the rumble. Didn’t read long enough for anything else sorry.

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 57
Ok sweet - speaking of balance, you can buy dacs that are balanced or that are warm etc is that something to be concerned about, particularly among entry level ones?
Are you talking about balanced sound (I.e. not biased towards bass or treble), or a balanced connection (i.e separate grounds per channel)?

If you're referring to the former, DACs don't tend to colour the sound as much as your headphones or the amplifier. As before, decide on a good headphone first. Google Minidisc in Chatswood or Addicted to Audio in Newtown for a place you can demo some great HPs.

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 57
Don't start off worrying about audio voodoo stuff. Concentrate on the fundamentals. Know what sound signature you most want and what music you will listen to most of the time. As has been mentioned, a great deal of music isn't particularly well recorded, so that is the very first and inescapable limiting factor. For me, years ago I decided that even if I liked the music, but it was poorly recorded, I just couldn't enjoy it. That isn't how many people are, my best friend Ed loves music that is essentially garbage in terms of recording/mastering, he couldn't care less and he still likes to have decent gear to listen with. Knowing what is important to you is the first step, and following from that by far and away the most important thing is the headphone. Any decently designed amp and DAC will do in the sense that unless for some odd reason they are engineered to be very coloured. The amp and the DAC to a point influence the sound, but most of what you will be hearing, and I mean most is the headphone. Again, that assumes a properly done amp and DAC, which in this day and age isn't that hard to achieve. I am not saying there aren't differences, but the differences you pay through the teeth for with an exteremely high point of diminishing returns.

Invest in the best headphone that matches your preference, and that you can adequately drive with an amp that suits your needs (e.g. portable or stationary) and that you can afford. Recently I had a NAD M51 that I had owned for a few years (a very well respected and not cheap DAC) a Chord Mojo and I had just bought the very affordable iFi iOne DAC. For a few days I compared them over and over again and I just couldn't hear enough of a difference that I would consider significant in any meaningful way. So I sold the NAD and Chord and kept the iOne as my main DAC. I love it, it sounds great. That is my experience, it doesn't mean others will agree, but I think it is prudent to consider the fact that for every small difference in perceived sound quality jump you make via amps and DACs (again assuming all are fundamentally sound designs) you pay a very big price differential. If you have lots of money, who cares, go crazy, buy the sexy beautiful stuff that is as much visual art as an audio reproduction device. If you are on a budget rest assured, the headphone or speaker is by far and away the most important part of the audio chain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back