Stepped attenuator?
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
How crucial is a stepped attenuator?

The $300 Sheer Audio HA-006+ does not have one, and the builder said that there would be unbalanced volume in each of the channels.

The $500 Sheer Audio HA-006++ (Special Edition) does have one, but an extra $200 is quite a bit.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 6
It boils down to preference.

I'm not a fan of stepped attenuators, in fact, it's influenced my decision to NOT purchase an amp many times.

Sometimes it's hard to hit that "sweet spot" with the steps.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 6
I thought it allowed you to have the sweet spot everytime that you played anything.

The non-stepped attenuator is supposed to be the one where only one part is truly balanced, which may be an uncomfortable volume level for the user...

That information is from the builder...

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't see it as crucial at all, though I do like a stepped atenuator.  I've had builders tell me they wouldn't waste my money on if if I were at all financially constrained.  I don't know why this amp would be different.  There could be a real issue or he's trying to get you to upgrade.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 6
A stepped attenuator can help with maintaining good channel balance if you are listening to music with the volume turned very low. There are 12 and 24 step attenuators. They can also reduce static noises that can come from the steel wiper on a carbon pan on a standard volume control.  I would not spend the money if you are financially constrained .  can help with  
  can help with  

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you all for the help.

I probably can afford the upgraded version though.

It just seems right.

I have OCD, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back