stepped attenuator rotary switch mechanisms
Mar 17, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 43
Nobody knows where to get the Grayhill rotaries?

I just emailed the eBay seller kyc111 who has been making these DIYZONE-type attenuators and selling them for a reasonable price (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50) to see if he was willing to sell the switches only.

I am wondering if it's possible to buy directly through the link mentioned in the DIYZONE article (http://www.my3c.net/product/detail.a...=&Sort=&Price=)... Does the site (My3C.net) ship internationally? The kit includes a very nice, heavy-looking sand-blasted knob and if the price is in NTW it is an awesome price, if it is in RMB then it's comparable to the eBay seller...

At any rate, I'll update this thread as soon as I hear from this guy. Maybe we can arrange a group buy? (I'm looking to get at least two myself)

-doosik

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #18 of 43
I just got a reply back from the seller, and he is selling them at $11 per switch - much lower than what I initially expected!

But my question is - are the ones that he's using genuine Grayhills? It seems to have a different shaft length (longer) than the one pictured at Octave.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 43
Well from the pictures on Octave we can't tell whether their blue switch has a grayhill logo on the back or not. Can someone with a genuine Grayhill switch confirm this?

Also, I am almost 100% sure that they're stereo switches, since all his auctions are for stereo ladder type attenuators. I will ask him though, just to be sure.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #22 of 43
I would be interested in buying a few of these switches. Maybe we could convince him to put the switches themselves for auction since i would feel more comfortable if it is official ebay.
Your right about the logo on both, we can't assume there is a logo on the Octave one. The do both have the little plastic nub on the front.

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by meat01
Don't know if these are the same ones you guys are interested in, but but Digikey sells a Grayhill Stepped attenuator. It is part number GH7104.

That's not the Grayhill we're interested in. I don't think any of the major vendors stock this part or the higher end part mentioned in Octave's website.

I just emailed the seller again requesting an official eBay posting of the item and perhaps a lower price on group buys. I'll keep you guys updated. I don't know how much of a price benefit we can get from a group buy though, I mean, at $11 a piece...
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #26 of 43
Well someone on that forum seems to like the feel and torque even more than the Elmas!
eek.gif
For $11, I am definately trying at least one out, very soon.

[edit]

Also, the seller kyc seems to be a member of diyaudio...

Mar 19, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #28 of 43
Peter Daniels was the one who did a through examination of these. He's experimented with a lot of attenuators, so I think he's the only person worth looking at. In other threads, he's said they sound really good. It's just that it's noisy when you turn it. Good bargain if you don't constantly change the volume. I think most people don't, it's just that the sound is unpleasent and annoying.

Mar 19, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #29 of 43
PPL in Diyaudio.com said the ebay one is break b4 contact/make before break ( I don't really know) type, so it just literially break every time when you turn the volume, and it create a gun poot noise when you turn your knob.
frown.gif
I think HeadFier don't want that happen when the headphone is much closer to ears.

Mar 19, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #30 of 43
i tried them.

There's indeed a clicking noise if you turn them quickly. When turning very slowly, there's no real problem, just a small pop. Peter Daniel is probably right, it looks like a bouncing problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back