stepped attenuator on my new PPA?
May 1, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 28
If you can afford one, I'd definitely get one. They are much more transparent than pots, and the also have better (perfect?) channel level matching, and are equally accurate at all volume level settings, not just the middle "sweet spot" the way pots are. The only possible disadvantage is not being able to get the volume exatcly where you want it, but since you use a computer rig, this is a non-issue since you can just adjust the voume output through software controls.

In other words: DO IT!
3000smile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 28
How sensitive is the volume control now? If it starts at a certain position on the clock, how far can you move it before it becomes loud enough for your enjoyment? I find that solid state amps with SAs are a little harder to deal with than tubed amps with SAs. Tubes have different gains available, SS amps have no adjustments of that nature. Someone can lower the gain of your PPA so that it works well with your source, cans, and listening level preference.

If these work for you, it is still a crap shoot at best. On some amps the SA works incredibly well. In others it does virtually nothing. One user here, around 1.5 years ago, installed an SA in his amp and it did nothing. Another user here retrofits amps with them, and they make a rather large change.

Try emailing the PPA gang and see what they say. It could be that this higly revealing amp does very well with an SA installed. If you have some spare cash, give it a whirl and see what happens.

May 1, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 28
The SA is supposed to make a big diffeence on the PPAs from what I've been told. That's why I went ahead and had one built into the Fully Monty..
wink.gif

May 1, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 28
Like everything else, all stepped attenuators are not created equal. The Dact attenuator that ipodstudio is getting is a superb product whose quality is reflected in its princely price.

May 1, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjan
Like everything else, all stepped attenuators are not created equal. The Dact attenuator that ipodstudio is getting is a superb product whose quality is reflected in its princely price.

Well, I just took Larry's recommendation on the choice of SA, but no, at $180 plus labour and shipping, it's certainly not cheap.

May 1, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
That sounds a bit expensive to me - it'd have to make an incredible difference to be worth it.

I know. The worst is, I'm going to be forever ignorant as I'll never get to hear it without the SA..
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

How much do they cost - just the part / where can you get them?

Here's one place: DIY Cable

Price for the DACT has gone up a bit in the last few months. Looks like Larry's not charging more than the part itself, unless he is getting them at a volume discount, or something.

I love mine (DACT), but I wouldn't put one in a PPA, unless I was looking at the "Full Monty" version.

May 1, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RHMMMM
How much do they cost - just the part / where can you get them?

Like I said, around $180 for the DACT SA.

May 1, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 28
Just talked to Larry, he has my deluxe PPA soon to be shipped, and there's still time to replace the Alps Blue with the stepped attenuator. After a long conversation with him, I decided to keep the Alps Blue. Larry was telling me the major improvement that is done on his deluxe PPA's comes from the Diamond buffers. The stepped attenuator is an improvement, but not a drastic one, and a hard one to detect for most. With the Alps Blue is not that I will be missing much. So I thought, the stepped is $220 part and installation labor. That would represent almost 20% of the final cost of the amp, for a non drastic, hard to detect improvement. I decided to not get it, at least not now. After all, later in the future, probably the same company or some competition will come up with an even improved stepped attenuator, and I can always send him the amp later to get that one installed.

May 1, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

So I thought, the stepped is $220 part and installation labor. That would represent almost 20% of the final cost of the amp, for a non drastic, hard to detect improvement.

so then i think your amp costs about $1000 (5* $200)? well, that's certainly the price range to start considering such an attenuator. the Grace 901 uses a stepped attenuator, and its retail is $1500. and it's a pro product--they wouldn't use something unless if they thought it was necessary.

even the better pots can suffer channel inbalances. in a stepped attenuator, you can get the balance to a point where you really can't hear any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back