Step up from the Nuforce HDP
Feb 13, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #32 of 56
NFB10 would be the perfect upgrade, while still staying in the affordable range. The HDP is good enough that I wouldn´t consider upgrading just slightly. Go at least NFB10 level (or dual separates costing 1500+ dollars together), or keep the HDP :)

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #35 of 56

Quote:

[size=medium]
So i'm playing with idea of taking a step up from the Nuforce HDP and i was just looking for some advice. What really would be a worth while upgrade?
I was looking at these: 
HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC
Burson Audio Ha-160D
I could also keep the HDP and use it as a DAC and just get a new amp but i do not know how to just use the DAC function

I would be using this Amp/DAC with my D7000's, HD650's, and possibly some T1's
I'm also open to suggestions so just let me know what you think.
My budget would be from around 800$-1500$ depending on how a couple of things go for me.
Oh also I have never used a tube amp so i have no idea how they work so just keep that in mind.

[/size]

I recently upgraded from HDP to the Burson 160D. The DAC's are comparable in sound but the Burson offers much more power to my LCD-2's and D7000's. For instance, 11:00 on the Burson hi-gain input is equal to about 3:30 or 4:00 on the HDP in the vertical position (and this is ear-splitting levels over 90 db). They both are great amp/dac combinations but the Burson is a worthy upgrade for a main rig. I have moved the HDP to my bedroom where its diminutive size and quality sound is perfect for late-night listening to my Westone ES5's in bed while my wife is asleep.

For your purposes though you could go with the Burson 160 and use the HDP as the DAC.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you say so...

Buying an amp or dac for about $300 will only be, at best, a subtle upgrade or at worst, a side or down grade.  In my opinion, that money is better spent towards a major upgrade, which the OP had decided to postpone, not that you read the thread.

OP...I'm not sure how much a power conditioner will improve your HDP, but clean power does goes a long way & if you're going to use it long-term with future rigs as well, well why not?

Do update this thread with your impressions if you decide to buy it.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #37 of 56
I'll say it again to reiterate.

I personally own the same setup (HDP + D7000) and I wouldn't even bother upgrading unless it's totally worth it.  The only single ended rig I would've upgraded to was a Audio GD DAC 19 / C2 amp and that combo costs around $1000 shipped.  The NFB-10 exists that is balanced, cheaper than the dac 19 / c2 combo, AND is stated to sound better balanced than the dac 19 / c2 combo single ended.  For that price could you really go wrong? Do you really want to spend $400 on a power conditioner BEFORE you upgrade to a better rig?

Also there's really no need to go with a separate amp with the HDP especially with the D7000's.  The HDP can drive the D7000's to ear splitting levels at 12 o'clock standing vertically and keep in mind the volume goes all the way 5 o'clock. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #38 of 56

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you say so...

Buying an amp or dac for about $300 will only be, at best, a subtle upgrade or at worst, a side or down grade.  In my opinion, that money is better spent towards a major upgrade, which the OP had decided to postpone, not that you read the thread.

OP...I'm not sure how much a power conditioner will improve your HDP, but clean power does goes a long way & if you're going to use it long-term with future rigs as well, well why not?

Do update this thread with your impressions if you decide to buy it.

Oh I read that part about postponing. I would consider dropping $300 on power conditioning to be unnecessarily postponing. I wouldn't consider it a great long-term investment, either, especially compared to, say, a dedicated line.

There's also issues with dropping big sums all at once. Would you agree that spending big money on one component can potentially net no gains whatsoever if your other things aren't good enough? Worse yet, maybe you can ask some of those Singlepower customers whether their money was well spent. =(

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:
Also there's really no need to go with a separate amp with the HDP especially with the D7000's.  The HDP can drive the D7000's to ear splitting levels at 12 o'clock standing vertically and keep in mind the volume goes all the way 5 o'clock. 

...amplifiers aren't only about volume...

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #40 of 56

Quote:
Quote:

...amplifiers aren't only about volume...

Great picture buddy! and sure we all know that different amps have different sound characteristics (thanks for the refresh though) but with the HDP you have a built in amp that is actually more powerful than a WA6 and in my opinion, I liked it better than my heavily modded WA6.  What I was getting at is that with the HDP you have a built in amp that compares to a $700 amp so it wouldn't really be worth it, in my opinion, to get another amp.  If you have that much money to spend then you might as well upgrade your whole rig instead of going that route. 

Also my statement that you quoted above was directed towards what "foveus" said a couple posts before mine.  However if it makes you feel that much better inside to put a picture of the joker with a wise statement up then by all means go for it.  Actually next time I wouldn't mind if you put a picture of batgirl's breastplate as that's more my style.  Also maybe type something like, "...headphones aren't only about sound..." right below it as well. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #41 of 56
I can very highly recommend the SPL Auditor (not the Phonitor).
Bought my Auditor 1.5 years ago and together with the HD800 it’s simply legendary.
It’s all there, incredible soundstage, bass down to the lowest end and tons of detail.
The best thing about it … it stoped my head-fi virus … no more “there must be something better” …

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:
Great picture buddy! and sure we all know that different amps have different sound characteristics (thanks for the refresh though) but with the HDP you have a built in amp that is actually more powerful than a WA6 and in my opinion, I liked it better than my heavily modded WA6.  What I was getting at is that with the HDP you have a built in amp that compares to a $700 amp so it wouldn't really be worth it, in my opinion, to get another amp.  If you have that much money to spend then you might as well upgrade your whole rig instead of going that route. 

Also my statement that you quoted above was directed towards what "foveus" said a couple posts before mine.  However if it makes you feel that much better inside to put a picture of the joker with a wise statement up then by all means go for it.  Actually next time I wouldn't mind if you put a picture of batgirl's breastplate as that's more my style.  Also maybe type something like, "...headphones aren't only about sound..." right below it as well. 

You took offense?  =/

Anyway, your post makes more sense now with that it's in context.  I think what "foveus" may have possibly been trying to say (going by what normally makes certain amps superior to others) is that the Burson is able to equal the fidelity of the HDP at a lower volume level?  After all, saying the H160D has more "power" than the HDP is just as good as saying it sounds "better."  I don't really know, it's up to him to explain how exactly sonically this "power" is apparent.  I don't blame you for translating that to volume, that does seem the most likely translation for "power", but I have a feeling he may have been referring to fidelity (since in theory a better amp will give better control of the diaphragms).

Edit: this thread is quite useful, since I'm using what should be in the same league as the HDP...the AGD Fun.  That NFB-10ES is throwing a wrench in my upgrade plans as well.  I was planning to build a 2-channel SE B-22 & a bare essentials Buffalo II DAC for about $1K and then eventually upgrade the B-22 to a four-channel balanced build for another $500 but this NFB10ES is ridiculous bang-for-buck, at least on paper (being all Class A, ES9018 based & balanced).  I'm still waiting for someone to say something bad about it or compare it to top of the line stuff.  There's almost no doubt the balanced B-22 & Buffalo II dac will sound superior but it will also cost about twice as much not to mention all the hours of work.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #44 of 56
My main concern with the NFB-10 right now is that i wouldn't know how to hook it up since it has no usb and i already can't get coax to work with my HDP and im not entirely sure how to bypass my soundcard and still use the S/PDIF out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back