Step down from AH-D2000s?
Mar 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Gensou

100+ Head-Fier
So I've just received an e-mail from buy.com saying that they will no longer have the DENON Ah-D2000 headphones and have no clue on the ETA.

I've been looking on a couple other sites and they're all either too expensive or sold out.

So, here is where you come in. I need the 1-step down headphones from the Denon AH-D2000...somewhere in high $100s..so basically $150-205 range.

I listen to a lot of music and do a lot of gaming.
I listen to a lot of electronica, techno, breakcore, hardstyle, almost any type of sound BUT country and rap.. I do listen to hip-hop and rnb sometimes. I listen to A LOT of DnB, amen breaks, all that stuff.

Please, head-fi, help me out.
biggrin.gif
D

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 32
I just picked up a pair of the D2000s yesterday at J and R for just a few bucks more than your $205 top end. And J and R is an authorized dealer-while Buy.com is not-meaning that your warranty will be enforceable with much less hassle.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 32
wow $205 is soo cheap for a D2000, if its cheap it'll take a long long long long time... :p My Friend waited for like 3 month and still didnt get it, My other friend ended up using Ebay.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSonicSmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a pair of the D2000s yesterday at J and R for just a few bucks more than your $205 top end. And J and R is an authorized dealer-while Buy.com is not-meaning that your warranty will be enforceable with much less hassle.

a few bucks more? more like $145 more.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for headphones?

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

I just picked up a pair of the D2000s yesterday at J and R for just a few bucks more than your $205 top end.

let us know how you got the d2000 from j&r for a few dollars more than $205.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 32
I think everyone is trying to find some Denons in your price range because no other headphone in that range is gonna shine like the Denons.
AT ATH AD700's around 100-125 on amazon are OK but are no match for the Denons.
Beyerdynamic DT770 (80hm) are but they're a bit pricey as well.
So Give it some time and do a little more googling.

Check this out here:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...tle#ps-sellers

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 32
Read the fine print on the posted price at J and R. It says that for a better price speak to a sales representative. That's what I did and I brought the Buy.com price up with the guy and he checked it and then came down to within $15 of the Buy.com price. Considering that he actually had them in stock and was an authorized dealer, I hesitated for five seconds. And then I bought a pair of AKG 701s from him too.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think everyone is trying to find some Denons in your price range because no other headphone in that range is gonna shine like the Denons.
AT ATH AD700's around 100-125 on amazon are OK but are no match for the Denons.
Beyerdynamic DT770 (80hm) are but they're a bit pricey as well.
So Give it some time and do a little more googling.

Check this out here:
Denon AH-D2000 - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural

the other day i called power seller NYC from that list and they said the d2000 is discontinued
confused.gif

how would you say the d2000 compares to the dt770pro.is the d2000 worth $150 more?

Quote:

Read the fine print on the posted price at J and R. It says that for a better price speak to a sales representative. That's what I did and I brought the Buy.com price up with the guy and he checked it and then came down to within $15 of the Buy.com price. Considering that he actually had them in stock and was an authorized dealer, I hesitated for five seconds. And then I bought a pair of AKG 701s from him too.

did he bother to check that buy.com doesnt have it in stock and will not have them for the foreseeable future? ill try anyway.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 32
I just called J&R about the price of Denon AH-D2000 and he said the current price is 249.99 with free shipping.

Wow, thanks a lot for telling me this. I might buy.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 32
If the Denon AHD2000's are being discontinued I think we'd allready have a mob here at head-fi storming the Denon national headquarters. The Beyers are surprisingly bass rich but lack the control that the Denons have.The only Beyers that I would put up against the Denons would be the 990 250 ohm and they need a good amp as well. Don't be missled by the advertized prices for things on google. I gave you the link to show where to start. Many dealers will give you a much better price over the phone. J&R and Northen Sound and Light.especially. The listed price for the Denon AHD7000's at Headroom is 999.00 but the actual selling price is much lower than that.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 32
I just e-mailed a couple stores, seeing if they can go any lower on the prices.

I would still like to get some suggestions on headphones. I am sooo tired of using these crappy speakers.

Someone is offering me their A-900s for $170 shipped.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Denon AHD2000's are being discontinued I think we'd allready have a mob here at head-fi storming the Denon national headquarters. The Beyers are surprisingly bass rich but lack the control that the Denons have.The only Beyers that I would put up against the Denons would be the 990 250 ohm and they need a good amp as well. Don't be missled by the advertized prices for things on google. I gave you the link to show where to start. Many dealers will give you a much better price over the phone. J&R and Northen Sound and Light.especially. The listed price for the Denon AHD7000's at Headroom is 999.00 but the actual selling price is much lower than that.

I respectfully disagree. The mids of the D2000 have better detail than the DT770/80, and they have more treble and soundstage, sure. But the bass is as overwhelming and uncontrolled as the DT770/80 in my opinion. I even think the DT770 bass is better textured, giving better bass detail than the D2000.
With the D2000, I couldn't tell the difference between a acoustic bass and a electric bass. On the DT770/80, that was easy.

I think for 200 USD you can get equal or better than the D2000.
My opinion of them is:
Plus: rich sound, at first listen a wow effect, a lot of bass, tons of details, decent soundstage, good impact and presence (slam, oomph).
Minus: overall sound a bit dull, treble sometimes harsh and sibilant, there's not much nuance in the overwhelming bass, fatiguing in the long run, mids and vocals sounds sometimes recessed, not good isolation for a closed can.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 32
Tiemen/Theo;

You are a headphone supremus and I am new to this Board. I do not want to be disrepectful. However, do keep in mind-as I'm sure you do-that we all hear differently, we all have different preferences, and we have different equipment choices. From your profile, I see that your playback equipment is hardly top gear stuff-and I am sorry for pointing this out. If you read the recent Stereophile article about the difficulty in measuring headphones or predicting how they will sound to each individual, I think you will see that making pronouncements about phones is just not possible. It goes on here all the time and I don't mean to focus on you. It makes for good conversation.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Tiemen/Theo;

You are a headphone supremus and I am new to this Board. I do not want to be disrepectful. However, do keep in mind-as I'm sure you do-that we all hear differently, we all have different preferences, and we have different equipment choices. From your profile, I see that your playback equipment is hardly top gear stuff-and I am sorry for pointing this out. If you read the recent Stereophile article about the difficulty in measuring headphones or predicting how they will sound to each individual, I think you will see that making pronouncements about phones is just not possible. It goes on here all the time and I don't mean to focus on you. It makes for good conversation.

OK, point taken.
It's just my opinion, like others. It's indeed all to my ears, with my gear, music and taste.
I never discuss the high-end, expensive, headphones. Or headphones I haven't heard.
I know my setup is mediocre at best, that's why I'm not posting in the High-end Audio Forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe that's a better place for you?
The music I have is mostly not well recorded, so why should I buy top gear?
But I think my listening equipment is still better than music straight out of a desktop computer or laptop.

And this: "I think you will see that making pronouncements about phones is just not possible." would mean the end of Head-Fi, because that's all we do here
biggrin.gif

BTW: why don't you have a profile? Now I'm curious about your gear, non listed yet.

BTW2: that headphone supremus thing is meaningless. If you have more than 1500 posts, you'll become it. And those 1500 posts can be reached within a few moths without even discussing a single headphone. Just go to the Lounge section and post everything you want about the last thing you bought, your last meal, your new wife, your new car, new dog etc, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back