Stello HP100 significantly better than Gilmore Lite
Jul 18, 2007 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

edb

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a Gilmore Lite last month, but the improvement of it over my soundcard's (Echo Gina 3G) headphone out is not much. I don't mean no improvement at all, it just does not justify the money I spent.

I saw a Stello HP100 in the FS forum, as I understand this amp is at the same level of GS-1. Is this amp much better than Gilmore Lite?

Thanks.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 17
What headphones do you have?

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

What headphones do you have?

He has a K701 in his signature...

I didn't compare the HP100 to the Gilmore, but compared to my RPX33 it's a very good amp. It's not quite at the same level, but still very, very good. Definately worth the money, if you compare the two price-wise.

That said, what do you expect from an amp? Most high end amps are basicly "wire with gain", so an amp isn't supposed to change anything major: the changes are mostly subtle, provided the current output jack has a reasonable output level.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 17
I agree that what you want in an ideal world is straight wire with gain.

However, since solid state begin there have been countless amplifiers that have come and gone without consensus on what it the best. It has proven to be easier said than done.

The power supply on the Stello looks closer to the GS-1 than the Lite with Elpac.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 17
Stello should compete with GS-1, not with G-Lite I think. Stello should be really neutral and transparent to the system, G-Lite is on the brighter side of things...although I honestly have not heard EITHER one, I am just a fan of Stello sound.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 17
count me in
wink.gif
HP100 owns most of below 1000$ budget amps

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by edb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Gilmore Lite last month, but the improvement of it over my soundcard's (Echo Gina 3G) headphone out is not much. I don't mean no improvement at all, it just does not justify the money I spent.

I saw a Stello HP100 in the FS forum, as I understand this amp is at the same level of GS-1. Is this amp much better than Gilmore Lite?

Thanks.

You might want to contact Justin asap at HeadAmp about the possibility of exchanging your Gilmore Lite for a GS-1 (assuming you bought it new from him within a 30 day period). I can assure you that the GS-1 will sound quite good with the K701 and should be a significant improvement over the GL. At least this way, you would only have to shell out for the difference in the two amps rather than having to sell the GL and buy an HP100 or some other amp (unless you're sure that you don't want a GS-1).

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to contact Justin asap at HeadAmp about the possibility of exchanging your Gilmore Lite for a GS-1 (assuming you bought it new from him within a 30 day period). I can assure you that the GS-1 will sound quite good with the K701 and should be a significant improvement over the GL. At least this way, you would only have to shell out for the difference in the two amps rather than having to sell the GL and buy an HP100 or some other amp (unless you're sure that you don't want a GS-1).

I was not even remotely impressed with k701 + GS-1 >.<

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not really my experience at all!! - what did you not like about the K701 + GS-1? I might add that a few others on the forum have felt there is good synergy between them (which is actually why I decided to buy a GS -1). I don't regret my decision.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 17
Thank everybody for your suggestion. I guess I will replace the GL with a HP100 in the near future.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest a better source before an amp upgrade. Source is all that matters, the amp just amplifies the signal.

Good point. Actually I am thinking of Stello DA100 DAC as another upgrade step after HP100.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really my experience at all!! - what did you not like about the K701 + GS-1? I might add that a few others on the forum have felt there is good synergy between them (which is actually why I decided to buy a GS -1). I don't regret my decision.

I prolly just did not like the K701, who knows...

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Quote:

I prolly just did not like the K701, who knows...

Dude, those are seriously unhelpful posts.

It's consistent with the general decline in the overall quality of posts the past year.

I've never heard the GS-1 or Stello. I do hope there are some head-fiers who have heard one or both who might expend the time and effort to post their impressions.

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 17
Ya, I have posted the fact that I did not like the combo before elsewhere. I found it too dry and lacking in bass delivery to my ears, although the sound was fairly neutral in upper midrange/treble. My impressions have been argued against though, which is the reason I am saying my latter statement - its probably that I did not like the k701 sound. To my ears K701 need something that would bring MORE juice to the mids and bass than GS-1. I FEEL that GS-1 sounded too neutral for k701.

I don't have anything to say about the hp100 apart from the fact that in the review that I did see it was considered also fairly neutral, which would probably make it TO MY EARS also unfavorable with k701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back