Stello DA220MkII
Sep 14, 2008 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stvn758

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.aprilmusic.com/main/sub02_03_01.html

How does this compare to the Benchmark and Lavry and that gorgeous Cambridge Audio 840c CD/DAC, the most notable difference I see is there is no mediocre head amp taking up space and money, just a great DAC.

Having searched through some old threads on here I was wondering how old some of these DAC's are - do they actually upgrade them from time to time or is your shiny new hi-fi four years old inside?

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 3
They are all excellent DACs. The MK2 only came out around 2 years ago so its not too old. I had the original DA220 and 840C at the same time. It just depends on the sound you want I think as the DA220 is VERY warm sounding and musical while the 840c is more detailed and precise, some even think it as dry or bright. I think its really crucial how you pair them up with your other equipment though. If your system is already warm then getting the DA220 might be a bad idea so the 840C would be a better choice.

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 3
I think the MK2 does not sound quite as warm as the MK1. Have a look at SoundStage reviews on Mk1 and Mk2 to get some ideas.

During my search for DAC I have tested out 220mk2, benchmark and Larvy. In the end I choose the 220mk2 as it is the most even handed of the group - no major weakness. Whereas the larvy I found it a little thin and I didn't like the presentation in benchmark. My personal choice would be 220mk2 > benchmark USB > larvy.

The best thing to do is go to the shop and try them all out - ideally with your amp & headphone. If there are no local shop, maybe contact the distributors to see if they can help - i.e. send a demo unit to your local shop or a home trial.

Lastly, couple of points to note. 220mk2 sounds non-musical before burn in (2 - 3 weeks). Do use a quality USB cable (not the one supplied) when using USB input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back