Stello: DA220 or DA100?
Sep 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 325xi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, simple logic - if DA100 is so much in different league, and DA100 sounds identical with DA220, then everyone must go with PSAudio, huh?
smily_headphones1.gif

On the other hand not many suggest that Digital Link III is so surpasses DA220...

Interesting. The PS Audio looks like a DA100 with balanced outputs, or a DA220mk1 with USB. It's the best of both worlds, just like the DA220mk2 but at a much lower price.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. The PS Audio looks like a DA100 with balanced outputs, or a DA220mk1 with USB. It's the best of both worlds, just like the DA220mk2 but at a much lower price.

Stello 220-series seems to be of more sophisticated design. I wish Stereophile did some measurements for both...

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 325xi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stello 220-series seems to be of more sophisticated design. I wish Stereophile did some measurements for both...

Yep, quite a difference indeed.
PS Audio Digital Link III
ps1ap1.jpg

Stello DA100
big-icon2-top.jpg

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #34 of 37
How can you tell that one of them has a more sophisticated design, just because the board of the PS Audio is smaller? It looks to me that the PS Audio uses all SMDs, which could mean that the other side of the board has also got components on it. Furthermore, a smaller board could mean a simpler design, which can be positive as well. That huge power supply isn't that bad either.
417_3.jpg

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Furthermore, a smaller board could mean a simpler design, which can be positive as well.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the Stello DA-100 and the PS Audio Digital Link III and don't find them that far apart. Both exhibit a more analog-like presentation, free of digital artifacts which allow me to enjoy music longer without listener fatigue.

These two DAC's are now my references and I sold my Apogee MiniDAC and Grace m902 (both excellent DAC's, by the way) since I found the Stello and the PS to have the best synergy in my systems. YMMV
wink.gif

Any impression on the USB of the Stello vs the PS Audio?

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Kudos! Well said.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back