Stello: DA220 or DA100?
Sep 2, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Where, on hifi500 it stays the same as it was when it was introduced, $695?

Ok, it was something like 895-995 here (in euro's of course). So naturally I thought it was 895$ before at hifi500. Just to clarify: DA220 was 1195-1295EUR (can't remember which one) and MKII was 1495EUR. One sure wouldn't say 1 euro is around 1.36$...

Note: I just checked current pricing. Found them at 845EUR and 1630EUR. I'm getting REALLY confused. Do manufacturers let a monkey throw darts at a few price tags?
Quote:

I feel rather confused having two so different positions about them.

They were tested with 2 very different systems, and by different persons. So it's natural there are two different outcomes. If you too would test all 3 of them, you'd propably get yet another opinion, but I dare say that last one would be the most meaningful (for you that is). Neither of us can tell you what YOU will hear, or what YOU should feel important.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 37
If you get the DA100 and decide to upgrade to balanced, you won't lose much money reselling it. It'll also save you a lot of desk/shelfspace in that time too.

But, since you're using your Squeezebox you don't need USB input, so if you can get a used DA220 (MK 1) for not much more than a new DA100, that would be the best option in my opinion.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note: I just checked current pricing. Found them at 845EUR and 1630EUR. I'm getting REALLY confused. Do manufacturers let a monkey throw darts at a few price tags?

It'd be stupid to buy DA100 from a local retailer. Of course it's more expensive that way. Even after customs + shipping costs the price wouldn't be even near 845EUR when ordered from hifi500. USD is so weak at the moment.

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 37
Correct, but warranty might be an issue. I've twice shipped my Rudistor RR20 back to Italy, and let me tell you: if you're going to do that insured you're not going to be happy.
Plus there's no voltage selector on the DA220. There's a switch on the DA100, but not on the 220. When I factor in a voltage converter one wouldn't even break even.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct, but warranty might be an issue. I've twice shipped my Rudistor RR20 back to Italy, and let me tell you: if you're going to do that insured you're not going to be happy.
Plus there's no voltage selector on the DA220. There's a switch on the DA100, but not on the 220. When I factor in a voltage converter one wouldn't even break even.

I shipped my Rudistor RP5.1 back to Italy one time also, so I know what you're talking about. That sucks for sure.

With Stellos I haven't had any problems though. I've now used them about one year. They have five years of warranty (not anymore though, but had when I ordered mine). Stello (or should I say hifi500) customer service is quite odd for sure. I haven't got a single reply from them when I've tried to ask few questions. I haven't got any replies from April music either. It seems that it's impossible to reach them.

You can't order DA220 from hifi500 so why bring it to the discussion? That's something you HAVE to buy from your local dealer (unless you want to use voltage converters).

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 37
Warranty is my big concern considering how much I'll have to pay for mere shipping the thing back to Korea... especially DA220 (here's where "build like a tank" strikes back). This is why I'm afraid of getting a used DA220.

If I get DA220MkII from US dealer shipped to Canada, I at least will have to send it back to US, not Korea, which is a bit easier.

As for being able to sell DA100 with no loss - I'm doubt so. It's not really well known brand, especially here in Canada with no single dealer... And I also prefer to buy something I won't have to sell in a year or two. My Revel and SimAudio stuff isn't going anywhere anytime soon, which is good.

My bias is to go with DA220MkII - it's not overpriced comparing to other similar DACs of that fidelity level. DA100 however appears to be a much better deal - but only if they're truly equal (besides non-balanced), which I can't be sure. I suspect that DA220 design quality is higher in details I listed in my previous post, and such things as better PCB board layout can reveal itself by affecting sound under some specific conditions, while under different ones will not be noticeable. I might be wrong, but this is my gut feeling.

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they sound different on 240v instead of 120v
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, I've got a 220V DA220 but my power conditioner is putting out 222V. Occassionally when it ticks over to 221V, the sound gets clearer.
eek.gif

325xi: There's no such thing as future proofing at head-fi and in much of electronics. If you've got the cash to upgrade everything in your system to balanced, I'd say go for it and the DA220 will serve you well.

If you're going to piece meal it over a few years, get the DA100 and enjoy it while you put the other parts of your system together.

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #23 of 37
This is definately a thread to watch because a stello is right on the top of my list for DACs. The benchmark and larvy look good but I don't need balanced and would rather have USB. I keep hearing rumours that USB DACs slow the computer.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

As for being able to sell DA100 with no loss - I'm doubt so. It's not really well known brand, especially here in Canada with no single dealer... And I also prefer to buy something I won't have to sell in a year or two. My Revel and SimAudio stuff isn't going anywhere anytime soon, which is good.

I think the suggestion was that it would be easy to sell here on Head-fi. Most of the products we deal with here are not well known in "normal" markets. Names that we consider reputable like HeadAmp or Singlepower mean nothing to most consumers and even audiophiles outside of this community.

Anyway back on topic: I tried a DA220 in single-ended mode against my DA100 and was unable to identify any difference, blind or not. As far as I am concerned, in single-ended mode they are one in the same. I've never listened to the Mk.II so i can't comment on how it sounds, but it is three times the price of the DA100.

I prefer the DA100 to the Benchmark DAC1, I think it's just phenomenal. I think it goes without saying that any of the three Stello DACs are going to sound great, the real question is how different from one another are they.

Like others have mentioned, if balanced is something you want to jump into in the near future then the choice is obvious, but if it's something you're considering then it might be a better idea to get the DA100 for now and cross the balanced bridge when you get there.

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

I keep hearing rumours that USB DACs slow the computer.

Just looked at the CPU load for you: it's 1-2%. That is about the same as a normal sound card, and a lot less than AC97 solutions. BTW it's excellent for games and movies too. A bit overkill, but that's never a problem...
wink.gif

Quote:

I tried a DA220 in single-ended mode against my DA100 and was unable to identify any difference, blind or not.

If that was with the 650: that's what I would expect. With a K701 behind a RPX33 however, the DA220 sounds a lot thinner when compared to the DA100. Perhaps this is one of the reasons some have described the K701 as lacking in bass: it could be a source "incompatibility". When using the DA100 or MKII, I'd never describe them as lacking, but with the original DA220 in the chain I certainly would.
The main lesson however should be: you can't judge just a component when testing it in a system: you're always listening to the entire chain, and each and every part of it influences the sound. Your phones can hide or reveal weaknesses, just like the source can, and (often to a lesser extend) the amp and cables. Luckily most good vendors let you test their hardware for a short period of time to judge it in your own system.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway back on topic: I tried a DA220 in single-ended mode against my DA100 and was unable to identify any difference, blind or not. As far as I am concerned, in single-ended mode they are one in the same. I've never listened to the Mk.II so i can't comment on how it sounds, but it is three times the price of the DA100.

The perception of the difference depends on the system indeed. I'll have it connected to seriously revealing amp and speakers, it's not necessary that I'll be able to confirm your findings. So, I'm just trying to be cautious here...

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 37
Ok, the audio fun starts right here!

I cite from http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254652
Quote:

Here's what Barry Willis from "The Absolute Sound" mag said about it:

"It went into my main system as a replacement for the April Music Stello DA 100 DAC, reviewed in Issue 165. The Stello is a fine piece, one I have been tremendously happy with since I brought it home from last year’s Consumer Electronics Show, but the PS Audio is in a different league altogether, offering an almost frightening level of detail, dimensionality, and bass impact. I hate to default to one of the oldest clichés in the audio-reviewing lexicon, but the Digital Link III really did lift a few veils."

Now, simple logic - if DA100 is so much in different league, and DA100 sounds identical with DA220, then everyone must go with PSAudio, huh?
smily_headphones1.gif

On the other hand not many suggest that Digital Link III is so surpasses DA220...

Sep 6, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 325xi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the audio fun starts right here!

I have both the Stello DA-100 and the PS Audio Digital Link III and don't find them that far apart. Both exhibit a more analog-like presentation, free of digital artifacts which allow me to enjoy music longer without listener fatigue.

These two DAC's are now my references and I sold my Apogee MiniDAC and Grace m902 (both excellent DAC's, by the way) since I found the Stello and the PS to have the best synergy in my systems. YMMV
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back